Time Off Before Matriculating Up the Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pansit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all this time off before I start Medical School in the fall and I wanted to start looking over some material for 1st year. I know a lot will say just relax ect...but I cant relax all day long every single day. Having studied on a regular basis for the last 5 years my body just doesnt seem to want to get away from it. Anyway, I was going to start working on medical terminology (there is this basic program that introduces incoming students to basic medical terminalogy) and maybe start looking over anatomy and biochemistry. These two will probably take up the longest time so I figure anything I do beforehand will only help. Good Idea or Bad Idea?...any other suggestions. Anyone study before medical school and thought it really helped them. I guess I am just kinda worried because I know a few "gunner-type" students who are already deep into medical school textbooks, and the students who did post-bacs who already have a year or two of medical sciences in their belt. I want to be prepared as much as possible and ease my way into school instead of being hit with a wave during the first few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have all this time off before I start Medical School in the fall and I wanted to start looking over some material for 1st year. I know a lot will say just relax ect...but I cant relax all day long every single day. Having studied on a regular basis for the last 5 years my body just doesnt seem to want to get away from it. Anyway, I was going to start working on medical terminology (there is this basic program that introduces incoming students to basic medical terminalogy) and maybe start looking over anatomy and biochemistry. These two will probably take up the longest time so I figure anything I do beforehand will only help. Good Idea or Bad Idea?...any other suggestions. Anyone study before medical school and thought it really helped them. I guess I am just kinda worried because I know a few "gunner-type" students who are already deep into medical school textbooks, and the students who did post-bacs who already have a year or two of medical sciences in their belt. I want to be prepared as much as possible and ease my way into school instead of being hit with a wave during the first few weeks.

You will never cover even a fraction of the amount of information in a medical school biochemistry or anatomy class on your own over the summer. Your efforts will be wasted and you will only look back on this wasted summer and say, "gee, I wish I had had more fun..." The medical term. is okay but, once you start getting into actual subjects, you need to put down the books and pick up a beer. Trust me, I look back on the time I wasted that summer and wonder why I didn't follow the advice to have more fun. You will be studying enough when you get here.

Members don't see this ad :)
n929678_32916597_1907.jpg