Time Off Before Residency?

Started by Jonkst
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jonkst

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I'm trying to figure out when residencies start exactly, and if I can start to plan a weekend trip in June 20-22, but I would be totally unable to change the dates. I've heard various start dates for residency, so I don't know if I'd be able to get away with this, and I have to make the reservations before match day! Any advice?
Thanks!
 
you might find yourself in a bad spot depending on the program. There are no firm start dates but a lot of programs will have orientation at some point prior to the early July start date that you hear about. For me personally, we actually started residency before July 1 so I was in the midst of orientation at the time frame that you mentioned.
 
Our start date was June 24th (a Sunday in 2005) with BLS/ACLS/ATLS/orientation comprising the entire week before this. This varies from program to program though. I would contact the department as soon as you match to see what the likely dates of orientation will be and whether or not you can take BLS, ACLS classes ahead of time somewhere else.

-dl
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my start date was June 23. My end date was 1 year later so I had a week off before going on to ENT from general surgery. That was nice.