Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Time Off?

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by Estee, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Estee

Estee Junior Member

Hey guys, I have a couple of quick q's I've been curious about: after graduating pod school, do you do your residency immediately after or do you have for example, the summer free. What about after your residency-do you start working immediately (typically)?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Most students graduate near the end of May. Residency usually starts July 1. So you have around a month to move and get situated. After residency, I'm not sure because I'm not there yet. I'm sure whatever your situation, you are given the time you need but I'm sure you also want to start making $$$ ASAP.

4. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist

Attending Physician
    As jonwill said, residents usually start July 1. However, many of the residency programs will require the incoming residents to come in sometime during the last two weeks of June for orientation and paperwork. The amount of time you have off between graduation from Podiatry school and the start of your residency program will depend on what school you graduate from and which residency program you go to. Barry students usually graduate at the end of April. NYCPM students graduate usually early June. All of the remaining school students usually graduate sometime in May, as jonwill said.

5. Estee

Estee Junior Member

Thanks jonwill and dpmgrad - that's very helpful!

6. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    NYCPM is May 29th this year. 3 days before June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

7. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the correction. I guess NYCPM is not graduating their students in June anymore :) I remember the NYCPM students in my year complained that they were graduating in June.

8. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    It might just be this year. who knows. I certainly do not understand any decisions that "they" make.