Time OptomCAS submitted to mailed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BradleyROD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wanted to comment on how awesome it is that all of us pre-optometry students are helping each other out. Many would think this sort of thing wouldn't happen as we are competing with each other. I think its great. I received a lot of help in the OAT forum and I see a lot of great things going on in this forum. GREAT JOB YOU GUYS! Seriously, I would love to work along side you one day, just not next door :D.

My quick question is regarding how long it takes once you submit your OptomCAS application to the time it gets mailed out? Does it depend on LORs? They have already recieved my transcript, I sent it a while ago.

What were your experiences with how long it took? Also my GPA has not been calculated yet. I submitted my application on Sunday (9-30-12). I am worried I am late submitting my app.

Any and all comments welcomed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, it took Optomcas about a month to mail out my application. I think this is longer than it would normally take, but I had a hiccup in my transcripts, which required me to send an additional transcript. Because of this, I know my app was on hold for a good couple of weeks until they received it and finished processing everything. Even though your app isn't technically mailed out, keep in mind that the schools that you designate are already able to view your app. After my app was finally officially *mailed out* I started hearing from schools within 1-2 weeks. I heard from a couple schools even before my app was actually mailed out.

All of my transcripts were received by the end of July, LORs were in place by the end of August and I submitted on 8/29. My GPA was finally calculated on 9/20 and mailed 9/27, so I'd expect it to take about a month for it to be mailed. It may also depend on how many classes you've taken and the number of schools you've attended. I've taken 68 classes at 5 different schools so that might have been why it took so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my transcripts sent in July, my LOR sent in July and August and submitted my application on the 11th of September. Two days ago I received an e-mail that my application had been verified and will be mailed out on the next mailing date (which I believe is every Thursday). Hope this helps!

I submitted my OptomCAS on August 25 and they were sent September 2

It takes about a month. I submitted my app on Sept 17, Optomcas finished processing it on Oct 5, and it was just sent out today, Oct 11. ( I had all my LORs and transcripts in by early August)
So if you submitted your app at the end of Sept, expect yours to be sent out around the end of October. I also think that batches are mailed out every Thursday, like someone said above.

Thank you everyone for the intel. I wont bother OptomCAS until a month has passed.

It took them around the same time for me as well. Submitted 9/22/2012. GPA calculated 10/12/2012. I'm assuming it's being mailed out this coming Thursday 10/18/2012.

I called OptomCAS on 10/11/2012 because I usually would check every day to check on the status, but my internet went down that morning and I couldn't check so I called them on my way to school and they were super nice about giving me an estimated time on when it would be completed. They finished it the next day.

To complete this thread;
OptomCAS app submitted: 9/30
GPA calculated: 10/19
Mailing Date: 10/25
note: transcript was received by OptomCAS early September.

Hope this helps future applicants and thanks everyone for posting!

Just wondering,

If I submit my OptcomCAS tomorrow, would I be inelgible for Berkeley's 12/1 deadline since it takes a few weeks to process?

I don't think so since I believe they can access your app before receiving all the materials that come with it, but give the school a call to be safe. You can definitely get a better answer from them :)

You just have to turn in the OptomCAS app before 12/1 and their Berkeley Optometry School-Specific Form form by 12/3 to be eligible.