Time to attend conferences during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reggiano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY-2 here, interested in fellowship, trying to be active in research (despite crazy OBGYN hours), and PD/department chair both know I am interested in fellowship. Unfortunately, my program is academic only in the sense that we are associated with a medical school. The faculty do not do research, publish etc. That has made it an uphill climb for me to pursue research projects, but I'm overcoming. Whatever. The other residents also do not do research beyond the 1 project that is required.

The thing that really gets me is that when I request 1-2 days off from service to attend a conference (where I have an oral or poster presentation), I get a lot of resistance from the PD and chief(admin) resident. This is partly because we are very busy and finding coverage can be hard. Another factor may be that none of the other residents go to conferences and also because the faculty don't do research, I don't think they see it as being important. I took 2 days off during intern year for an oral presentation, and getting that approved was absolute hell. The admin chief literally rolled her eyes and I think she hated me for the rest of the year. My PD wasn't exactly pulling for me either. I later asked him to look over my power point presentation but he never got back to me, and later apologized about missing my email. Overall I just did not feel supported.

I have the chance for a poster presentation later this year, and asked if I could attend, but PD said something to the effect of "well... let's see.... will get back to you..." At this point, I am thinking about forgoing this conference, so I can save my brownie points for a bigger/better conference If I get accepted, maybe next year.

I am so frustrated right now. I feel like I'm blazing my own path here, trying to pursue my dream, and keep getting cut down. My PD is actually a pretty understanding person - he will say "stay home" if you're feeling sick, and seems pretty understanding about letting residents take a few days off if someone in their family is sick or going through something. But for whatever reason, taking 1-2 days for my future career is not cutting it.

In case somebody asks, I am not a problem resident. I'm also not the best resident in my class, probably because I'm almost always sleep deprived because I only have time to work on research if I cut into my sleep. I scored well on my in service exam. I've passed Step 3, first attempt. To put this in context, a few residents have failed and needed to take 3-4 months off work to retake/pass the exam before the hospital renewed their 3rd year contract.

I guess my questions are:
1) What is it like at other programs? How often are you allowed to attend conferences etc?
2) How can I improve my chances that I can attend these conferences?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you arrange your own coverage? Rather than going to your PD/Chief with a problem for them to solve why not try:

"Hey, I got a poster accepted to XX Conference from Jan 5-7. I talked to Dr. Y (who is either your year or above you) and they are happy to cover my time away from service as they're on ____ elective."

Reactions: 1 users
How does your vacation time work? If one particular conference a year is truly important to you, can you plan your vacation schedule around that? Many conferences are held in fun cities which would be worth exploring for the remainder of the vacation.

How do some residencies not allow for conference days? I agree with above poster. Try to arrange coverage and then ask the question again.

Do you all not get vacation days? How is coverage arranged for those?

We got CME money and a few days off for "educational time" during 2nd and 3rd years so most people went to conferences. Arranging coverage was the same as when we went on vacation. We’d put the request in 3 months in advance and the chief would make the schedule based on that.

I would find coverage if your program is giving you hassle then request off.

Reactions: 1 user
We get up to 5 CME days, but people rarely take more than 2/yr. There are numerous rotations that simply aren't eligible for vacation or conferences. You also have to make requests 4 mos in advance.

Are you trying to take days off in the midst of high hour/low coverage rotations? That may be the issue.

In your case, I agree with trying to get your own coverage (they cover you on days W & X, you cover them on Y & Z). You could also just take your vacation then.