Nov 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi All,

After being out of college teaching math for 5 years, I've decided to apply to med schools. I need two more sequences -- Orgo and Bio and their labs -- to finish my premed requirements. I plan to take both during the Spring and Summer 2014 terms.

My question is this: how plausible is it that I'll be ready to apply in the fall of 2014?

My concerns are (1) as much as I'll try, I may not be able to fit in Orgo lab until the fall. Is it possible to submit an application before receiving a grade in a required course?
And (2) is taking the MCAT at the end of the summer too late?

I tried to keep this brief, but feel free to ask for more specific details.

Thanks, All!

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1. yes you can apply before you finish the prereqs.
1a. you don't have to finish the prereqs before you take the MCAT, but it's risky, do this only if you already know you're good at standardized tests and your grades are strong
2. yes, taking the MCAT at the end of the summer is too late, unless you have a stunningly incredible app compared to the thousands of stunningly incredible apps already filed months before you

Med school apps open in June. Applying early is universally recognized as a key strategic advantage. An MCAT exam date after May gives you a late application, imho.

Usually you can get away with not finishing ochem before the MCAT, but you have to have all the bio in the can before the exam.

Sorry the news isn't more convenient. Best of luck to you.

Apr 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
1. yes you can apply before you finish the prereqs.
1a. you don't have to finish the prereqs before you take the MCAT, but it's risky, do this only if you already know you're good at standardized tests and your grades are strong
2. yes, taking the MCAT at the end of the summer is too late, unless you have a stunningly incredible app compared to the thousands of stunningly incredible apps already filed months before you

Med school apps open in June. Applying early is universally recognized as a key strategic advantage. An MCAT exam date after May gives you a late application, imho.

Usually you can get away with not finishing ochem before the MCAT, but you have to have all the bio in the can before the exam.

Sorry the news isn't more convenient. Best of luck to you.
I agree with everything Dr Midlife said.

In your case it would probably make the most sense to aim for a Sept or Jan MCAT (iirc the test isn't offered Oct through Dec) and apply 2015. Applying early does matter.