Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Timeline for finishing prereqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by agrossbl, Aug 6, 2015.

1. agrossbl

Pre-Dental
    hello, non traditional/career changer student here. No science background, currently doing a post bac program. Next July I will be finished with the minimum required courses for most of the schools I want to apply to (gen chem, orgo, bio, physics...) but I will not have time to fit in courses that some schools require, such as microbiology and calculus.

My question is, can I still apply to schools that require those courses in August if I am registered to take them In the fall semester after I apply? Or must all courses be completed by the time I submit my applications?

My plan has been to prepare all my application materials (LORs, personal statements, etc) before my classes end, finish classes mid July, spend a few weeks prepping for the DAT, and then take the DAT and be ready to submit everything in August.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. .

#2 SXCoronado, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  4. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    That sounds similar to what I did (also non-trad, cranked out the prereqs and then prepared for the DAT for 2 weeks). In terms of the classes, you will be okay as long as you take those courses before beginning dental school. I know OSU requires that you must complete 9 of 13 prereqs at the time of application

5. FloorMatt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was also wondering on people's thoughts of taking biochem and physics fall of senior year. Can I P/F these so they dont effect my gpa?

6. FloorMatt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is it worth going for the A? I was pretty good at physics in high school and I'm taking the DAT this summer (going to junior year). Would you take biochem and physics spring of junior year or fall of senior year? And would you P/F? What are the pros and cons of each?

-confused little sophomore

7. MolarBear93

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You can elect to P/F a course? Put on your big boy pants and work for a good grade.

8. FloorMatt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just want to know a good reason why not to. Heard of a fellow peer who said he was and figured it was a great idea. But can dental school see this as your applying/will they care if they see it after your accepted?