timeline for postbaccs and applying for med schools.

aye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 31, 2002
baltimore
    Hello all. I'm interested in applying for some postbaccs for fall 2005. However, i'm a little confused about the timeline. here is my scenario: i'm applying to med school now but i'm assuming i'm not gonna get in... so i'm retakin the mcats in april and applying again in june. also, i'm applying to the postbacc programs. so, if i get into a postbacc program in fall... would i have to reapply again to med school a third time for them to see my postbacc grades?? or would med schools look at my records even tho i'm attending the program already?

lol... sorry if i lost you. basically, should i reapply to med school during the the program or afterwards? thanks!

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2004
      Depends on the program, but in general it would be better to reapply after you've done coursework for a year (especially if your grades aren't so hot). There are exceptions to the rule though (Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, and maybe BU would be some examples). Some schools would look at your existing profile and probably wouldn't even consider your Fall postbac grades (for better or for worse). Other schools might put your app on hold until your fall grades come out. There's an old Drexel thread somewhere on this forum where some of the schools that consider your fall grades are mentioned. However, if your grades put you on hold till Jan/Feb, you're already at a huge disadvantage and could be interviewing for a waitlist.

In the app cycle it's to your advantage to get in your complete application early. So if you can wait an extra year, it's to your advantage to do the year of coursework first, have it show up on your AMCAS (or AACOMAS) application, and then apply. That way you have the opportunity to show your postbac grades AND your app won't be delayed.

aye

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 31, 2002
      baltimore
        Phil Anthropist said:
        Depends on the program, but in general it would be better to reapply after you've done coursework for a year (especially if your grades aren't so hot). There are exceptions to the rule though (Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, and maybe BU would be some examples). Some schools would look at your existing profile and probably wouldn't even consider your Fall postbac grades (for better or for worse). Other schools might put your app on hold until your fall grades come out. There's an old Drexel thread somewhere on this forum where some of the schools that consider your fall grades are mentioned. However, if your grades put you on hold till Jan/Feb, you're already at a huge disadvantage and could be interviewing for a waitlist.

In the app cycle it's to your advantage to get in your complete application early. So if you can wait an extra year, it's to your advantage to do the year of coursework first, have it show up on your AMCAS (or AACOMAS) application, and then apply. That way you have the opportunity to show your postbac grades AND your app won't be delayed.

so how long does mcat scores last just in case i'll apply for 2007, after the post bacc program?? Thanks!

About the Ads

nico05

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 29, 2004
        Long Island, NY
          Dont worry about your scores, they'll be accepted for a while, however, dont apply just for the sake of applying, it may hurt more than help. If you are going to do a post-bacc, which is what I am doing now, wait until you get some solid grades before applying. Best of luck. :thumbup:

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.