Timeline for Prereqs and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CynicalContrarian101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am a genetics and genomics major premed starting undergrad at UC Davis very soon, and I was wondering if the following timeline for taking prereqs and eventually the MCAT is ideal. Essentially my strategy is to take all the subjects on the MCAT in 2 years, then proceed to go ham my second summer studying and take it sometime in early-mid September. This way, school isn't in the way and I can devote an entire ~2.5 months to MCAT preparation. Furthermore, subjects I take in second year will be fresh. Do people generally take more upper div bio courses before taking the exam?
Disclaimer: Since I got a 5 on the AP Pseudo-science Exam... errr i mean psychology exam, I can't retake the intro psych course and thus I haven't included it in my timeline.
Freshman:
Intro Bio and Gen Chem (1 year each)

Sophomore:
O Chem and Physics (1 year each)
Biochem (Since 2 quarters of o chem is required to take biochem, I can ultimately take it my third quarter of my second year.)

Thank you in advance, I greatly appreciate any insightful comments and criticism...

Members don't see this ad.

schedule is fine just realize, more med schools and clinics who hire the graduates are not looking for 22 year old recent graduates... don't rush being in college, enjoy it - find out who you are, find out what your passion is, GIVE to others (time, energy, talent)

You'll be fine

Hello Everyone. I am a genetics and genomics major premed starting undergrad at UC Davis very soon, and I was wondering if the following timeline for taking prereqs and eventually the MCAT is ideal. Essentially my strategy is to take all the subjects on the MCAT in 2 years, then proceed to go ham my second summer studying and take it sometime in early-mid September. This way, school isn't in the way and I can devote an entire ~2.5 months to MCAT preparation. Furthermore, subjects I take in second year will be fresh. Do people generally take more upper div bio courses before taking the exam?
Disclaimer: Since I got a 5 on the AP Pseudo-science Exam... errr i mean psychology exam, I can't retake the intro psych course and thus I haven't included it in my timeline.
Freshman:
Intro Bio and Gen Chem (1 year each)

Sophomore:
O Chem and Physics (1 year each)
Biochem (Since 2 quarters of o chem is required to take biochem, I can ultimately take it my third quarter of my second year.)

Thank you in advance, I greatly appreciate any insightful comments and criticism...

Calc, Bio, and Gen Chem will make for a harsh first quarter. Be on top of your game. If you're gonna do that, don't take a fourth course.

Lower Div Tips (from my career 2009-2012)
-Che 2: whoever you get, attend lectures by Enderle or Toupadakis and attend their pre-exam review sessions
-Org Chem: 118 series, not the 8 series. Lievens is generally seen as the best. Standing room only, even at 7am.
-Calc: Take the 17 series. 21 series is overkill
-Physics: 7 series is good enough and an easy A. Skip 9 series.
-Stats 13 or 100 is a must for the MCAT. Your major requires 100 so take that.

For the MCAT:
I really suggest you take BIS 101, 102, 103, 104 and NPB101 before taking the MCAT. If you take those and do it well, you literally won't have to study for the Bio section at all. They're all prereqs for you anyways. Take em and ace em. Also since you can't do PSC1, at least do SOC 1 or 2.

Also your major is a small unit major. Consider an Arts or Social Science minor. You're going to have to do GEs anyways. Might as well get something extra out of it.

Hit up the Pre-Health advising ASAP so you can get signed up for a UCD volunteer clinic and a good lab. PM me if you have more questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a very similar schedule and just took my MCAT before entering my junior year. I took bio, gen chem, calc freshman year, orgo and physics junior year, biochem over the summer.

Obviously that isn't all my classes but just going over the pre-reqs. I had 18-20 credits each semester and I didn't think it was over bearing.