Timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peony

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a post-bacc student (thus, I don't have any type of pre-med advisor), so I'm a little confused about the timeline for all this.

I understand that I can start my AMCAS at the beginning of May and submit it at the beginning of June. If I take the May 22nd MCAT, will that delay anything? I can't figure out whether I can submit the AMCAS without my MCAT score being in. Thanks SO much!!

Members don't see this ad.

It will delay things slightly, but I've been told a delay of a few weeks will have little impact on your application overall.

One option you have is to take your MCAT in April. If you do, you'll get your scores back in plenty of time. If however, you feel that you won't be ready in April, I would imagine most people would trade 2-3 points on the MCAT for a 2-3 week "late" application.

Hi guys! I'm a post-bacc student (thus, I don't have any type of pre-med advisor), so I'm a little confused about the timeline for all this.

I understand that I can start my AMCAS at the beginning of May and submit it at the beginning of June. If I take the May 22nd MCAT, will that delay anything? I can't figure out whether I can submit the AMCAS without my MCAT score being in. Thanks SO much!!

Just submit when you're ready. Your MCAT scores will be back by the time schools receive primaries in late June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! One reason that I want to wait until May 22nd is that I have my final exams for my four sciences classes in the very end of April/beginning of May (I also work 20 hrs a week), and I'm a little concerned about taking a heavy courseload while doing the final MCAT studying push. Of course, most of my studying will be done well before that! Also, I'd like to be done with my classes by the time I take the test, so I don't miss out on any material (plus studying for my finals might ultimately help me review MCAT stuff, right?).

I do understand though that the negative aspect would be not having a good option for retaking the exam. I will think about that for a bit, but having gone through this process before with the GRE general test/GRE subject test/SATs, I find that I've been solid on standardized tests the first time around.

Thanks again for the great feedback, and I welcome any more as well! :)

I'm taking the first July MCAT then sending stuff off early Aug when I get my scores. All my friends got in doing this and I rather study longer and absolutely dominate MCAT.

I'm taking the first July MCAT then sending stuff off early Aug when I get my scores. All my friends got in doing this and I rather study longer and absolutely dominate MCAT.

I thought about that, but then I decided I'd rather be doing secondaries over the summer than during school. The trade-off, though, is that I'll be studying for the MCAT during school. I've cut down on my course-load a bit to alleviate that problem though, so hopefully it goes well. GL either way OP.