1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Timetable for August MCAT

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by mrsmac, Apr 15, 2004.

1. mrsmac

mrsmac Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone. I am finding myself in the situation where I am reapplying. I want to enter in 2005. I am taking the MCAT in August. I am a little confused though. Even if I get my AMCAS application in early, my scores won't come back until mid October. Some of my schools have deadlines for the first of November and some for the 15th of November. Will AMCAS have enough time to receive my scores, process them, and send them to the designated schools(with the rest of my application) before the deadline? What is anybody's take on this?

Thanks

mrsmac

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member

I was in the same situation last year, and it worked out just fine. I submitted my AMCAS in June, filled out all the secondaries that were sent to me, sent out all my letters of recommendation during the summer and so the schools were just waiting on my MCAT scores to process my application.

4. sistahnik

sistahnik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    oh so you can submit the amcas app and wait for the scores? some ppl are saying that you can't send the app in until the August scores are sent out. thanks for posting what you did, it really helped to confirm my decision on when I will take the mcat next year!!!

5. Jonathan13180

Jonathan13180 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can still apply in june, but you are right, your scores wont be sent out to the schools until at least october. The Biggest mistake people make is not sending in their AMCAS until they get their scores back, which is futile. If you wait until you get the scores before sending in your AMCAS, youve screwed yourself.

6. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would submit your application asap. although your application will not be verified until october, you want to give yourself some time in case any accidents occur. here is what i would do:

submission your application -> june/july
    having your transcript sent to amcas -> june/july
    taking your mcat -> august
    working on the secondary apps if they are available -> b/w august and october
    waiting -> november to infinity :D

as you mentioned, some schools might not receive your application by the deadline (i.e., cornell has a deadline on 10/15). however, if you submit your application early in june/july, schools that have early deadlines are required to consider your application. hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions. good luck.

7. Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member

I believe this to be untrue.

My AMCAS app. was processed, verified, and sent out to schools before I even took my MCAT in August. I received secondary applications from a few of the schools I applied to in Late August/Early September.

More to the point, I submitted my AMCAS application in mid june, it was certified the same day, and processed six days later. The transmission dates of my primary application from AMCAS to the medical schools I applied were all in Mid/Late July.

In my case the schools had absolutely everything in place except for my updated MCAT score (It was the second time I took it).

This is the re-applicant forum so I am assuming that, like myself last year, this is your second (or third, whatever) application cycle and the second (or third, whatever) time you will be taking the MCAT.

8. Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member

The only issue with this is if you bomb the MCAT then you will have wasted some money on the application process, but if your confident you will get a good score (like I was the second time around, I actually studied...go figure) you'll be all right.

9. Friday

Friday TGIF
    5+ Year Member

Well, if you are a reapplicant, don't you already have some scores you could fill in?

10. mrsmac

mrsmac Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great advice. To answer a few questions: This is my second time applying. My MCAT scores were not the best in the world. So, my only hang up is the MCAT. I plan on submitting my application in early June and seeing what happens. My only concern is that schools will see my previous scores (or will they???) and trash my application based on that. That means I wouldn't even get secondaries. My hope is that at a minimum the schools will wait until my Aug scores are sent in and then decide if they will send me a secondary. I hope you guys are following me. :) Either way, I'm going to apply. If there is anyone else out there in this boat let's keep each other updated. Thanks again everyone for your inputs :thumbup: :thumbup:

mrsmac

11. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As long as you indicate on AMCAS that you intend to take the Aug MCAT, schools will not reject you based on your first set of MCATs

12. Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member

Your situation is exactly the same as mine last year, and everything worked out fine for me.

13. Akaandykay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi there, I am looking for some advice on a slightly different situation. I will be taking the MCATS for the first time in mid/late august of next year (2010), BUT, unlike the person who started this thread, I will not have finished all my classes until mid sept of the same year. (I will be finishing up my last orgo class and lab).

Does it still make sense for me to submit my AMCAS in June and tell them that they should expect both my MCAT score and grades from two classes, or should I wait until (shudder) late sept to submit?

14. just one

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did not read any of the other posts since they are 5 years old, so for your situation, submit! If you wait your application will not be complete until close to New Year. They would care less about the classes. BTW, what classes end in the middle of September? :confused: