Timing for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kawasaki21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
So I am looking to apply for D-school this upcoming year, as I’m currently finishing my sophomore year. One issue I have is that to submit my packet the day applications open, I would need to take the DAT sometime in spring of 2020. Only issue is that I won’t be able to take orgo 2 until that semester.
So given this, what would be the best time to take the DAT? Should I just push back my application date and take the DAT after the semester? I’m also thinking of taking the DAT during the semester of orgo 2 and apply, and then retake the DAT after I finish orgo 2 and then seeing if my scores are any better, and if they are sending them in so the schools could see my updated DAT

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

This really depends on your style of studying. Some students much rather learn through the class process as it takes them through all the content and tests your knowledge at specific intervals. Some students have no problem learning on their own with resources such as YouTube. The latter method however requires a lot of motivation and discipline. Either method would be okay, as long as you think you can handle it.

With that said, i would more so advise you to take the DAT once you have gone through the formal Ochem class. This way, all the material is solidified and fresh, which would translate to a better performance on that section. In terms of writing during Ochem, i would just say its better to wait and finish the course and then write. Not only do you save money but i don't believe writing the test that close together will give you much of an advantage. That's more so a personal opinion though! I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user