TIMING is OFF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDisrespect

Reaction score
Hey Dental Fam,

I am taking the DAT in about 3 weeks, and right now, my timing isn't the best with PAT, RC, and QR... I don't know if it's my lack of understanding for material, or if I just need more practice. If anyone has had this experience, please share knowledge on how you overcame this problem!! I am about ~5-10 minutes over the given time for these specific subjects. ALL INPUT & EXPERIENCES are appreciated and welcomed :). THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For QR look at the DAT Bootcamp cheat sheet and get good at working through plug-and-chug problems to cut down on time. The math isn’t that hard so there’s only so many variations they can do

Why are you worried about timing?

The more you study the better you will be at the topic, and therefore, faster. Don't take timed tests. Just study and do the best you can. It will come naturally on test day. Has worked fine for me on the DAT, and NBDE 1 and 2

S_Diamond_DDS has a good thread about RC strategy for slow readers. Check out my post on his thread as well. In summary, don't obsess over the little details or you will be slow. Helpful Strategy for RC Section for Slow Readers

For PAT, you just need to experiment and find strategies that work for you. Try new strategies or make your own. Don't forget that it's all about perspective. Try changing your perspective if your current one doesn't work. Maybe tilt your head. Maybe try focusing on different features of the object in question. There isn't one right method that works universally well for everyone.

The best way for me to address timing was to do full length run throughs and learn where I was messing up! A resource with full length tests is imperative, for PAT/RC I relied on CrackDAT and for QR Math Destroyer timed was great in addition to my other resources.