asfasdfasdferwerw

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I've recently started to time myself when doing the PAT sections and I've noticed that although I am able to complete the Hole Punch + Cube Counting + Angle Ranking, in about 20-25 minutes, I always taking longer than I should when doing the other 3 sections, although it's at its worst when I'm doing keyholes.

I think this might be because I do PoE for every question. Sometimes I get down to 2 and take to long to decide which of the two I want to eliminate. Should I just forgo PoE when it gets to that point or is there something else I could do? :(

hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
What program are you using? I used DAT bootcamp for the most part and never finished their PAT section on time and always got 19 (, got a 21 on real) I don't think I ever finished because their keyholes and tfe are very hard and for keyholes I had to go through every single answer choice to eliminate and confirm the right one. Real DAT it's a bit easier as 2-3 of your answers are easily eliminated just glancing. So if you're running out of time on bootcamp don't fret too much.

Also for PAT I think am important thing to learn is when you get stuck just guess and come back later. It sounds simple but I had to learn to swallow my pride and understand there's more questions I can figure out by skipping and saving time than by getting stuck on one and running out of time.

Hope this helps

OP
asfasdfasdferwerw

asfasdfasdferwerw

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
What program are you using?
Thank you! I'm using both Bootcamp and Genius. Do you know if on the real DAT it would be okay to just let the clock run out as I'm checking my answers or do I need to the review screen and actually hit submit?

hockeyboyrw

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Letting the clock run out will submit whatever answers you have put down at that point. That's why it's important to skip so you don't run out of time or if you do run out of time you have at least guessed on everything instead of leaving it blank and not having a chance at getting it right

Graffix

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Whats PoE? For timing on the PAT I use a time table. I only allow so much time per question (most of the timing I got from DBC). I usually have to skip some keyholes and come back to them later but i finish angles, holepunches, and cubes usually significantly faster. Sticking to this table (I feel) lets me get as many as I can right without burning too much time.
At the "---" is what the countdown timer should say max when done with a section.

15 keyhole 60s each
15 tfe 30s each
15 angle 30s each
15 holepunch 30s each
15 cube 30s each
15 folding 60s each

Graffix

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Process of elimination. I see, so would you just skip a question (keyhole for example) if your stumped or if you went over the 60s?
If I get stumped on a keyhole I make my best guess, maybe jot down answer choices I know 100% are not it, mark it, and move on. I usually have a couple minutes at the end to go back and finish them. 1 question is 1 question so I don't think its worth it to spend extra time on one question if it means being rushed for the rest.

Dr.Toothenstein

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
My plan of attack is to take the angles, holepunch, and pattern folding before going back. Take it normally and then tally up how you did in each section and try to start with your strongest section. From practice tests it seems the key is to get as many points as you can. I got lots of keyhole/angle ranking wrong but got my strong sections down and ended up with 20 in practice (from a 18 when I went straight through). Still got some of my strong sections incorrect, so im going to practice that first and see how it goes. Should get another bump up in score. I still run out of time but at least I get as many points as possible (I could spend 15mins on angles and still do terrible on them lol) Maybe try that?

CTArx

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My plan of attack is to take the angles, holepunch, and pattern folding before going back. Take it normally and then tally up how you did in each section and try to start with your strongest section. From practice tests it seems the key is to get as many points as you can. I got lots of keyhole/angle ranking wrong but got my strong sections down and ended up with 20 in practice (from a 18 when I went straight through). Still got some of my strong sections incorrect, so im going to practice that first and see how it goes. Should get another bump up in score. I still run out of time but at least I get as many points as possible (I could spend 15mins on angles and still do terrible on them lol) Maybe try that?
^ Problem with that approach is on the real DAT you can't "skip" any sections...you will have to click through 30 questions 1 by 1 until you get to angles and then click 1 by 1 all the way back which will waste a lot of time...

As for the author of this post, how long have you been practicing? I only used DAT Bootcamp and scored a 25 on the real DAT PAT section that I took yesterday

Dr.Toothenstein

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
^ Problem with that approach is on the real DAT you can't "skip" any sections...you will have to click through 30 questions 1 by 1 until you get to angles and then click 1 by 1 all the way back which will waste a lot of time...

As for the author of this post, how long have you been practicing? I only used DAT Bootcamp and scored a 25 on the PAT section that I took yesterday
No. I did it exactly how the exam will be. Clicked next until question 30. Then I went through it until question 90. You would then get a review button on the real exam so you can then go back to 1 without clicking manually. I purposely did it like the exam; do you really think clicking next 30 times will take that long?

OP
asfasdfasdferwerw

asfasdfasdferwerw

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
As for the author of this post, how long have you been practicing?
I've been practicing for accuracy for over a month and a half, but I've only started timing myself for about 2 weeks.

Is as you mark and click next from question to question, is there notable lag present?