Timing of Dental Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawakibi

Reaction score
I have been accepted to Boston Masters Oral Health starting in late July 2023. It’s a 1yr program that ends in July 2024. I was planning to apply this year to dental schools again for the 2024 Aug start date.

My question is, should I apply to Dental Schools while doing this program this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been accepted to Boston Masters Oral Health starting in late July 2023. It’s a 1yr program that ends in July 2024. I was planning to apply this year to dental schools again for the 2024 Aug start date.

My question is, should I apply to Dental Schools while doing this program this year? What if I was to be accepted? Do I just quit in the middle of the BU Masters program? I would graduate in July and be expected to start in August. That seems really tight and prob not possible if I continue and graduate or do I face the fact that I will need to wait another year if I graduate form the OHS BU program and start real Dental school in Aug2025 (assuming I am accepted somewhere as they say 90% are)?
perhaps you should ask the BU program this question...

Reactions: 1 user
perhaps you should ask the BU program this quest
I agree, I will ask for counseling on moving forward at BU. My hope is that I can do both, the OH Masters and apply for BU Dental school this year and I can graduate OH and immediately start 1st Year Dental School in August 2024. Just wasn't sure if others have done it this way or waited till the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask them in order to confirm my advice:

Focus on your Masters. Anyone else who looks at an application you submit that indicates that you are going to be enrolled in a SMP is going to wait until you actually get some grades after your first semester. By that time (January), the first round of offers have already been shipped off, and you could be considered for the small number of interviews that could be available to you in the spring as admissions professionals try to fill holes in the interview schedule through April (or whenever). Possible but you would essentially be applying late with a less than optimal academic record at the time you submit. That's two strikes.

This is why you ask about linkages. Do this right and don't throw away another few thousand. You have enough to pay for with a great opportunity with an ROI in the SMP.

One of my friends did this program as well. He applied to dental schools in June, just like the previous cycle. But this time he recieved 6 interviews pre-December and I believe 3-4 acceptances. I would recommend applying to dental schools starting in June; they will recommend it as well if you talk to the advisors over there. I would for sure throw out applications if I were you, but that's me. There is no point in not submitting apps.

office-900x600.jpeg

One of my friends did this program as well. He applied to dental schools in June, just like the previous cycle. But this time he recieved 6 interviews pre-December and I believe 3-4 acceptances. I would recommend applying to dental schools starting in June; they will recommend it as well if you talk to the advisors over there. I would for sure throw out applications if I were you, but that's me. There is no point in not submitting apps.

View attachment 367504
What was the GPA/DAT/fit? It goes back to asking the schools. The ones I know don't tend to do this if the candidate really needed GPA repair. If you already had a strong app, an SMP is just more debt to add.

3.6GPA and current alternate at a 1-program. DAT was 18. Retaking before June to improve that.