timing of interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

outforblood

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering when the major bulk of interviews for surgical
programs occur. I know that in general they are December or January, but i was wondering based on people's personal experience which one of these months seems to be most popular.
I know it's an odd question, but I'm in a quandry as far as my schedule for my M4 year.

Greatly appreciate any info,
Jake
 
Hi Jake-

I interviewed this past season- my first interview was on Oct. 31st and my last was on Feb. 4th. I think the latest date offered by a program was 2/7.

I submitted my ERAS around Sept. 10th and got my first interview offer about a week later. The bulk of dates offered were November-January. January was the busiest month for me. There was about a 2 week hiatus from before Christmas to right after New Years where none of the places I applied to were holding interviews.

I'd try to take easy electives during early-mid Nov. to late January. I'd also try to get any externships/ visiting student rotations done before early November as well.

Oh yeah, I'd also try to have good e-mail access during October- that is when the bulk of my interview offers came in and almost all of them contacted my via e-mail (only 2 did by snail mail.) I didn't think of this and was doing an away elective during October- I didn't have a computer so I spent a lot of time running to the local library and around the campus looking for a place where I could log on. Looking back on it, I probably should have invested in a laptop.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it on.

Good luck- I actually thought interview season was fun!

-F.C.