Timing of sections on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polishp86

The Man, DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I take my DAT in 2 days, just wondering what the timing is like...Do they have each section of science and the PAT individually timed or is it just one big 2 hour timer that you get and you have to manage the time yourself?

I would personally like to have each section timed so I'm more aware of how much time to spend on things...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Natural Sciences = 90 minutes (includes all 3 sciences)
PAT = 60 minutes (for all 90 questions)

Yeah, don't stress it. I found that there's plenty of time for the science section since its all in one big block - bio usually goes much faster than chem , so you can spend more time there. But it's PAT and QR where you're really fighting the clock.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, don't stress it. I found that there's plenty of time for the science section since its all in one big block - bio usually goes much faster than chem , so you can spend more time there. But it's PAT and QR where you're really fighting the clock.

Good luck!

I wouldn't say it's wise to heed someone else's advice as everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. My experiences don't align with the opinions of the poster above, but I don't doubt that he is telling the truth concerning his/her experiences. I would advise the OP to practice writing mock DATs while being timed, but with 2 days left, I'm sorry to hear you haven't already done this... I wonder what you have been doing up to this point if not that?

Hi, I will also be taking the test soon and like you I am also worried about the timing. I have heard that you don't run out of time during the science section, so don't really stress about that. The ones to worry about are the reading and QR. For reading, I heard to use the "search and destroy method" and for math, just do the ones you know first and then go back and do the rest. I'm worried about these two sections, specially on the Reading Comprehension. Since we will be taking the exam relatively close,(I'm going to take in one week) I'd like to know if you can remember the reading passages that you will have because hopefullly we will be having the same ones! I've been trying to study for that section, but in reality, there's nothing to study. So hopefully u can help me out by telling the the subjects so I can atleast be familiar with it. Alright, well I wish you the best of luck. I know its stressfull, but hey you got to do what you go to do. Remember not to stress too much about the sciences cuz they give you plently of time, try to work on the time with the quatitive and reading. Hope to hear from you soon, you'll do great. :rolleyes:

Rosy