Timing of Step 2 CK if you did well on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gluon999

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I write the Step 2 CK a week after submitting my ERAS, will the residency programs find out about it before match day?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an option under USMLE transcripts on ERAS that asks if you want to automatically re-transmit your Step 2 score....just click NO to that.
Keep in mind that there are programs that will not rank you unless you submit a passing USMLE step 2 score.

really? there's no stipulation that we have to complete step 2 CK by March

I think if a program extends you an interview even without a CK score, it should be fine

I guess maybe they got burned by accepting students that then failed step 2 & hence could not graduate.
UT-San Antonio & UTMB-Galveston are two that do not rank unless you pass

There is an option under USMLE transcripts on ERAS that asks if you want to automatically re-transmit your Step 2 score....just click NO to that.
Keep in mind that there are programs that will not rank you unless you submit a passing USMLE step 2 score.

Ahh... I see. Hopefully the places I will be applying to will NOT require me to submit step 2 results before ranking.

UTMB Galveston doesn't tell you that they require it.....just what I have been told from talking to the residents, so best bet would be to straight up ask them at interviews.

Good Luck

and take it early.......if you did well on step one, be confident and take it early, and get it out of the way..... dont make them wait around for your scores, let them see you did well early on, and you arent afraid....

and take it early.......if you did well on step one, be confident and take it early, and get it out of the way..... dont make them wait around for your scores, let them see you did well early on, and you arent afraid....

That would imply working hard on my part: something I don't plan on doing 4th year.:laugh: