Timing of USMLE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SYD

Thanks to you all...for all your valuable comments.

Kimberly,
The main reson for me coming to new york is just to pick up some areas in the hospital setting which I thought would help in the interviews. Otherwise I could just see myself going blank, and somebody might have to wake me up..

Also I heard a reference from USA is worth manytimes compared to the country I come from.
This is if I managed to get a good reference, which is not an easy task either I believe..

I presume my Cinical medicine is pretty much ok I have done nearlly four rotations of MEdicine, 2 ER, 2 Surgery Zero Peds& Obs, Gynae.

Please write a few lines and say what you think

Members don't see this ad.

Again, I am not sure you would need the experience in a US hospital setting as the basic format and H&P are the same in Oz and in the US.

However, you are correct in that a letter from a US faculty member generally carries more weight than one from an international supervisor (unless that person has an international reputation in his field or US contacts who would know him/her). Is 2 weeks enough time to get a letter of suitable content that it would help you? Most do a longer period of time, but its probably better than nothing *if* it helps your application. Australia has a reputation of offering excellent medical education and as I said earlier, I highly doubt that you would need any extra clinical experience and am sure that US residency programs recognize the adequacy of your medical education.

Kimberly Cox

I hope you are around somewhere there

I have got a difficult choice to make now.

** USMLE I on Aug 6/13- 13th will give me 1 good extra week, but Do you think to schedule CSA this 1 week will make a difference??

Could you predict a rough time frame for CSA, because I trying to plan this trip from Oz to USA
and hopefully combine with a 3 wk period of observership which I was talking about before, if you recall

The thing is I have got time off from 14th June, and the hospital just advised me to take the whole next 6 mths off. But its not helping me much with the US 2003 match.

Give me any suggestions..

Hi Syd...

Sorry - I was off this weekend. I do not think the extra week will make a significant difference in CSA scheduling if it will give you the extra time you need to do well on the exam.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with regard to "rough time frame for CSA". Do you mean WHEN should you schedule it? That is best left up to ECFMG as I do not know how far in advance they are scheduling the darn thing. You cannot register until your scores from the Step 1 are back. That would mean anywhere from end of August to mid October. If the deadline for taking the CSA and remaining in the match is January 2003, you should be in good shape, but I am unaware of the patterns of CSA scheduling (ie, when it starts to take months to get a date...other than fall/winter is crunch time).