Timing question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qafas

Jarhead
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an MSIV who up until now was only interested in IM (heme/onc, actually). However, lately I've been questioning whether or not I want to go through 3 years of IM and the fellowship process to get there. The only other specialty that I have interest in is Anes. However, I still haven't done any rotations in anes, and it looks like the earliest will have to be in Oct or even Nov.
Is this simply too late for letter of recs etc? If so, is it possible for me to just match into a transitional or a prelim spot this year, and try to match as a PGY2/CA1 during my intern year?
I really am not sure if anes is for me or not, but I don't want to go IM until I have given anes at least one shot. Any advice in the matter will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Q

Members don't see this ad.

Qafas said:
Hi everyone,
I am an MSIV who up until now was only interested in IM (heme/onc, actually). However, lately I've been questioning whether or not I want to go through 3 years of IM and the fellowship process to get there. The only other specialty that I have interest in is Anes. However, I still haven't done any rotations in anes, and it looks like the earliest will have to be in Oct or even Nov.
Is this simply too late for letter of recs etc? If so, is it possible for me to just match into a transitional or a prelim spot this year, and try to match as a PGY2/CA1 during my intern year?
I really am not sure if anes is for me or not, but I don't want to go IM until I have given anes at least one shot. Any advice in the matter will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Q

I'd suggest shadowing an Anesthesiologist in your "free" time. This will give you a glimpse so you can make a decision about how to apply for residency.

Personally I'd strongly recommend you stay gun-ho about IM apply for residency that way, while at the same time setting up an anesthesia rotation for Oct/Nov. If you like it, SWITCH. If you hate it, then you haven't waisted anytime.

The last thing you want to do is burn yourself on both program options by being hesitant!

Good luck!