Timing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENT Hopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the ENT advice thread, but noticed no one had posted anything since March.

I've read things that sort of address my question, but not entirely. I was wondering about the timing of away rotations in order to get a LOR in time. I've read a lot of opinions on whether or not to do an away rotation, but if I were going to do one, when is the latest I can do it so that a LOR can be part of my application? I know ERAS opens on September 1, but just was wondering about the latest a letter can be in to help out my application.

Just got an email from our dean stating when our 4th year rotations begin/end:
Period 1: July
Period 2: August
Period 3: September
Period 4: October
Period 5: November

Is even period 3 too late to do an away rotation if I'd want a LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to post this in the ENT advice thread, but noticed no one had posted anything since March.

I've read things that sort of address my question, but not entirely. I was wondering about the timing of away rotations in order to get a LOR in time. I've read a lot of opinions on whether or not to do an away rotation, but if I were going to do one, when is the latest I can do it so that a LOR can be part of my application? I know ERAS opens on September 1, but just was wondering about the latest a letter can be in to help out my application.

Just got an email from our dean stating when our 4th year rotations begin/end:
Period 1: July
Period 2: August
Period 3: September
Period 4: October
Period 5: November

Is even period 3 too late to do an away rotation if I'd want a LOR?

I did an away that ended on 9/15 and had a LOR submitted a week later, and it was fine. I would aim to get the LOR in before Oct 1, as interviews start going out around then. The key question is whether you can get your LOR writer to get it done quickly. That being said, you can really have a LOR added any time up to interviews begin, as it will likely make it into your file. It just won't help you obtain interviews if you submit it later, but may help during the interviews and when ranking occurs. SOme programs I have seen have had my file printed on paper since September, and some print it the day before interviews, so it can vary (UCSF for example doesn't even download your app until 11/1 when the MSPE is released). If you want it to help you get an interview, I would aim for 10/1, so period 2 would be the most ideal. Period 3 at the absolute latest if you want it to be there during file review for most programs.

Just remember to only submit 3 letters max if you are going to wait for another one as you can't add it later without withdrawing one, which is apparently a faux pas.
-G

Last edited: