Timing the MD/MBA application

Started by madbay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

madbay

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently completing secondaries and am pursuing MD/MBA programs at a majority of the schools to which I'm applying. I've noticed a trend in application cycles: students can either apply *now* or as an M2. Programs such as that at Harvard, which integrates med and business curricula starting the first semester, encourage simultaneous application to both graduate schools.

For current MD/MBA students--or potential folks like myself--what have your experiences suggested? Is it feasible to prepare for the GMAT during M2 (with the USMLE 1 just around the corner)? If not, did you take the GMAT while going through the med school application process? For those of you who applied after matriculating as med students, what have been the disadvantages? Advantages?

I recognize that requirements differ from program to program, but I'd appreciate a breadth of comments from the SDN crowd. My inclination right now is put off the GMAT stuff...I'm too consumed by *this* process and, frankly, I find it wiser to examine the MBA stuff more in-depth after I'm a med student. Thoughts?
 
madbay said:
I'm currently completing secondaries and am pursuing MD/MBA programs at a majority of the schools to which I'm applying. I've noticed a trend in application cycles: students can either apply *now* or as an M2. Programs such as that at Harvard, which integrates med and business curricula starting the first semester, encourage simultaneous application to both graduate schools.

For current MD/MBA students--or potential folks like myself--what have your experiences suggested? Is it feasible to prepare for the GMAT during M2 (with the USMLE 1 just around the corner)? If not, did you take the GMAT while going through the med school application process? For those of you who applied after matriculating as med students, what have been the disadvantages? Advantages?

I recognize that requirements differ from program to program, but I'd appreciate a breadth of comments from the SDN crowd. My inclination right now is put off the GMAT stuff...I'm too consumed by *this* process and, frankly, I find it wiser to examine the MBA stuff more in-depth after I'm a med student. Thoughts?

You should apply to just med school now, and then choose a med school with a b-school that you would really like to attend. Then take the GMAT this summer (should take a couple of weeks to study). You'll then start med school with the GMAT finished, and apply as a med student to the b-school (which does help you get in, generally).
 
I'm drawn to that idea, bluejay. Are you pursuing an MBA?

Thoughts from anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
madbay said:
I'm currently completing secondaries and am pursuing MD/MBA programs at a majority of the schools to which I'm applying. I've noticed a trend in application cycles: students can either apply *now* or as an M2. Programs such as that at Harvard, which integrates med and business curricula starting the first semester, encourage simultaneous application to both graduate schools.

For current MD/MBA students--or potential folks like myself--what have your experiences suggested? Is it feasible to prepare for the GMAT during M2 (with the USMLE 1 just around the corner)? If not, did you take the GMAT while going through the med school application process? For those of you who applied after matriculating as med students, what have been the disadvantages? Advantages?

I recognize that requirements differ from program to program, but I'd appreciate a breadth of comments from the SDN crowd. My inclination right now is put off the GMAT stuff...I'm too consumed by *this* process and, frankly, I find it wiser to examine the MBA stuff more in-depth after I'm a med student. Thoughts?


My opinion is that you should choose your medical school first irregardless of the strength of the MBA program, especially if you are only using the MBA as an adjunct to your training.

I would recommend that you make application to the dual degree program once you're in medical school, because many of the requirements will often be waived (GMAT, previous work experience, etc.). Every school is different though, and you've got to make sure that you've done your homework.

Good luck.
 
madbay said:
I'm drawn to that idea, bluejay. Are you pursuing an MBA?

Thoughts from anyone else?

I applied in M2, and found that it was the right approach for me. During the first two years of med school, I worked in a related nonprofit project and tried out the private sector during the M1/M2 summer. I talked to a lot of other students, faculty, and people working in areas like biotech/pharma and government. Althought I did have some experience before med school, these experiences really helped clarify my thinking. I got a much better grasp on what an MBA does and does not offer. The only disadvantage I can cite is that you may not have access to resources made available only to students in the joint program, but that has not been a big deal.

The GMAT may or may not be a hassle, and does not seem to matter that much as long as it's not deficient. I took it during winter break in M2, and know a few others who did the same or took it in M1. The application itself takes more effort to prepare..you have to articulate why the degree makes sense for you and your goals. That is a lot easier to do if you have had some experiences to explain why you are ruling out other options. I also benefited from having classmates in the joint program provide input on my application.

My take is to really think hard about this, more so for yourself than for getting in (although hard thought will help out there). If you are unsure, take the time to look into it, and get some direct experience.
 
I was interested in MD/MBA last yr when I applied, but I decided I would put off applying for it until later. Applying to med alone is tough enough as it is. I just took the GMAT the summer before matriculating. Several around here did. I think it's a good time to take it, as it's valid for 5 yrs and doesn't require more than a month of studying to do well on. I imagine it would be tougher studying for it after matriculating.