Timing your derm rotation: Feedback requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A detailed PM, requesting feedback:

I was reading your guide and trying to plan my rotation schedule for next year. I was wondering whether early meant 3rd year or just earlier in the academic year?

Basically, if it's possible is it preferable to take the rotation late in the school year as a 3rd year (would likely have to due to our rotation structure/rules) or early in the year as a 4th year?

Not even sure if I could get an elective spot as a 3rd year though since I believe they prioritize 4th years for all rotations, but if I could would be it logical to do one late 3rd year?

Our derm rotation here doesn't have a prereq, although the way our rotations are structured it's unlikely I'd be able to do it until the 2nd half of 3rd year (if I'm lucky, our lottery system is kind of weird).

That being the case, would it be better to wait until after I've done my IM rotation or does that not matter? I only really ask since our PD said that of all the rotations other than derm he looks at (from applicants) he looks at the IM grade, so I was thinking maybe it'd be better to rotate derm after doing my IM rotation so I don't look clueless.

Or does it not really matter? We have both a derm research and derm clinical rotation available so in theory I could do both 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump: Any responses?

Ultimately, I don't believe it matters, as programs don't expect you to be able to coordinate your derm rotations as perfectly as possible. Just try to do derm early. I did IM before derm, with my derm coming in the very last rotation of 3rd year. Another friend of mine did derm before IM, with derm coming mid-3rd year. Both of us matched.

Just try to do derm sometime in your third year, so you can then go deeper (eg, an away rotation, a consult rotation, a research rotation, a dermpath rotation) as soon as possible. You'd then be lined up with two significant derm rotations by the time the first quarter of 4th year comes to an end.

It doesn't matter IMHO. A good number of schools deny derm rotations as 3rd years anyway