timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unoriginal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been finishing kaplan qbank blocks of 50 with 3-6 mins left. I finished the free 150 questions with 3-5 mins left after each block. I assume this will hold the same for step 1. Is this what people have found? Traditionally, I have always been a slow test taker, which is why I am wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

yes. in fact, you may have a little more time on the actual exam since you'll typically read and answer questions a little faster on test day.

you'll be fine...don't worry about something you cannot change.

To the OP: I always seem to take longer when the pressure is on. When I take practice tests, I sometimes finish way ahead of schedule, but when I am taking the real deal, I have no doubt it will take me longer.

I have another question about timing:

If I finish the block with 10 minutes left, how does that impact the amount of break time I have?

On the practice exams, as soon as I hit end, the next section starts and the extra time is gone forever. I am assuming the same thing is true for the real deal.

Is this true, or are we able to add extra time to our break time.

thanks

i think someone discussed these questions in the 2007 exam experiences thread. basically, if u finish with 10 mins left, +10 to your break time. also, on the real test, i hear it's more user friendly with pop-ups and whatnot. in other words, as soon as you hit end, you will probably be given the option to take a break or continue on. PS: i havent taken the exam yet, so some of this may be slightly off.

To the OP: I always seem to take longer when the pressure is on. When I take practice tests, I sometimes finish way ahead of schedule, but when I am taking the real deal, I have no doubt it will take me longer.

I have another question about timing:

If I finish the block with 10 minutes left, how does that impact the amount of break time I have?

On the practice exams, as soon as I hit end, the next section starts and the extra time is gone forever. I am assuming the same thing is true for the real deal.

Is this true, or are we able to add extra time to our break time.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The tutorial is locked so that you have to go through it. However, do the tutorial in the free 150 questions, and it should only take a couple minutes to revisit during the real deal. The one thing the free 150 items doesn't address is break time. The way the computer program for the 150 and the FRED on the real exam works is a little different. On the real exam, when you get to the end of a block it will tell you "you have completed all the questions for this block" or if you've left any unanswered, "you have not completed all the questions...." and an "End" button at the end. When you click the end button, there will be a window with two big buttons. One says "Take a break" and the other "Go to next block". Your day timer and break-time timer will be visible, and if you don't make a selection in 30 seconds it automatically goes to an authorized break.

The practice exams you are referring to that go straight to the next section are most likely the NBME forms. The way to stop a section that's standard-paced is to simply hit pause. It goes back to your NBME screen with your purchase info, and you can click the test to resume. The Step 1 interface does not resemble the NBME interface.

Any time left on the tutorial when you end it will go back to your pool of break-time minutes, however. I think I only spent 3-5 minutes browsing the tutorial since I hadnt looked at it in 3 weeks, and because it explains the break time.

On pacing: I found that the pace I usually finished a block of 50 questions was about the same time I finished a block on the real thing. I would say I took a little longer on the real thing, simply because I knew my pace and thought I would do better spending more time on a question the first time around than to just choose something and come back to it to "really think about it". I still would finish with about 10 minutes left to add back to break time, and never dipped below 50 minutes the whole day on break time.

Hope this helps.