Tintinalli EM books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I have tintinallis big book but can someone tell me how Just the facts and EM manual (pocket size tintinallis) rate. Are they the same information? I see that there is about a 300 page difference between them.

Titinallis is to big to carry around so I'm thinking about getting one of these smaller books.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i have all 3 books.

the answer to your question is dependant upon what you plan to use the books for.

personally, i think trying to read the huge tintinalli cover to cover is ridiculous and a poor allocation of study time. but, if you are treating a patient and want to learn more...or even better, you treated an interesting patient and want to read more at home afterwards to reinforce it, then the big book is the way to be.

if you want a book to have on hand with you in the department, the smaller version of tintinalli is good. naturally, its less informative than the big one, which is why its smaller. but, i think it does the trick.

just the facts is nice because its a rapid review. better for later in residency when you're reviewing for boards. to use it as a primary academic text to learn from during resideny is a bad move. this book does have a supplemental book that's 700 review questions. in my opinion, the questions are way too easy when compared to Peer VII, CORD, etc. and are not the best way to prepare for in service or boards.

just the facts also has a peds version. i own it but i've never cracked it after i realized i couldn't use main "just the facts" as a primary reading source.

i have all 3 books.

the answer to your question is dependant upon what you plan to use the books for.

personally, i think trying to read the huge tintinalli cover to cover is ridiculous and a poor allocation of study time. but, if you are treating a patient and want to learn more...or even better, you treated an interesting patient and want to read more at home afterwards to reinforce it, then the big book is the way to be.

if you want a book to have on hand with you in the department, the smaller version of tintinalli is good. naturally, its less informative than the big one, which is why its smaller. but, i think it does the trick.

just the facts is nice because its a rapid review. better for later in residency when you're reviewing for boards. to use it as a primary academic text to learn from during resideny is a bad move. this book does have a supplemental book that's 700 review questions. in my opinion, the questions are way too easy when compared to Peer VII, CORD, etc. and are not the best way to prepare for in service or boards.

just the facts also has a peds version. i own it but i've never cracked it after i realized i couldn't use main "just the facts" as a primary reading source.

Thanks for the reply. So do you think the smaller tintinalli can be used as a primary academic text? I have been reading the big tintinalli and it has a ton of extra stuff and is time consuming. Also I learn better with bullet point info.

hard to say. truthfully, i read a lot of it in between graduation and the start of residency. haven't looked at it since. its less informative than the big book, more informative than the just the facts. if you're looking to read a book cover to cover, then i suppose it'll do. you'd certainly be able to get through it and read it multiple times. but, you need to remember the book is by definition trimmed down...need to make sure you fill in the gaps when needed