tips about the match process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! im a third year and planning on applying to ophtho this coming summer. i was wondering if anyone has good tips on writing personal statement, interviewing and the app process in general..in addition i have a few specific questions:

1) how many letters do you need from ophthalmologists for the cas app program? my rotation isnt till much later(august) and so i wont have one from my rotation...i was thinking of getting one from my research PI who is an ophthalmologist.

2) is it better to submit an application as soon as possible?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone! im a third year and planning on applying to ophtho this coming summer. i was wondering if anyone has good tips on writing personal statement, interviewing and the app process in general..in addition i have a few specific questions:

1) how many letters do you need from ophthalmologists for the cas app program? my rotation isnt till much later(august) and so i wont have one from my rotation...i was thinking of getting one from my research PI who is an ophthalmologist.

2) is it better to submit an application as soon as possible?

Thanks!

I'm applying this summer as well! Good luck to you. I'm looking for good tips as well. In terms of your specific questions, I think it is best to have 2 solid letters from Ophthalmologists. Or you can have 1 from an Ophthalmologist and 2 from elsewhere. However, you want the best letters possible. Don't get a 2nd letter from an Ophthalmologist if it is going to be a substandard, average letter and you turned down a stellar letter from an internist or something.

Also, I know it is good to get your app in earlier than the target date of early September, but I'm not sure how early is early enough. Good question.