Tips/advice for incoming R1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mass_Effect

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there radiology friends,

Does anyone have some tips/advice for an incoming R1?

Should I be studying/reading any resources? Any particular topics I should focus on?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The danger (aside from not doing any studying at all) is becoming overwhelmed with the amount of radiology resources available. Pick only a few resources R1 year and learn those well. I personally found Core radiology to be the single best resource for R1 year. You should be studying the material that correlates with the rotation you’re on. It’s far harder to make meaningful inroads to the material if you haven’t experienced that particular rotation. If you’re more of a case book or qbank learner, there are good options as well. I’ll also add that active learning is better than passive learning. If you can make flash cards or the like, that will go a long way towards promoting retention of material.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you referring to "Core Radiology: A visual approach to diagnostic imaging" the book by Jacob Mandell?

Members don't see this ad :)
The danger (aside from not doing any studying at all) is becoming overwhelmed with the amount of radiology resources available. Pick only a few resources R1 year and learn those well. I personally found Core radiology to be the single best resource for R1 year. You should be studying the material that correlates with the rotation you’re on. It’s far harder to make meaningful inroads to the material if you haven’t experienced that particular rotation. If you’re more of a case book or qbank learner, there are good options as well. I’ll also add that active learning is better than passive learning. If you can make flash cards or the like, that will go a long way towards promoting retention of material.
What QBank is appropriate for an R1 to use?

Reactions: 1 user
Most programs should offer RadPrimer. Work on those questions throughout your residency.

I didn't read prior to R1 and I don't recommend it. Enjoy the time you have now, brush up on some non-medical knowledge like finances, learn an instrument, whatever. You will have 4 years to learn radiology.

Reactions: 1 users
Most programs should offer RadPrimer. Work on those questions throughout your residency.

I didn't read prior to R1 and I don't recommend it. Enjoy the time you have now, brush up on some non-medical knowledge like finances, learn an instrument, whatever. You will have 4 years to learn radiology.

Agree with this post. Radprimer is the go to for most programs/residents. Qevlar is another frequently used one. No options are perfect but I think most people prefer radprimer.

I agree even more with the second part. Try to avoid studying radiology intern year. It’s largely ineffective without any context or immersion into the field. If you have to read something radiology related, Felsons is probably the only worthwhile text. As the above poster said, if you don’t have a strong grasp on finances, your time would be much better spent with that.