tips for 2nd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inositide

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for 2nd year?
I've heard some people say that 2nd year is not as bad
as first year, but from everything I see/hear so far,
it looks like 2nd year isn't going to be any non-stop
fun train. Anyone have any tips for 2nd year?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The best advice I received was to make sure that you don't get behind the first few weeks of classes, because it is very hard to keep up with the work if you slack off. I found myself spending more time studying 2nd year, but I didn't mind it as much, because the material is much more interesting than it was 1st year. You'll be fine - it isn't that bad.

Advice that I had heard before I started 3rd year was to use review books throughout the year-- BRS path/phys, First Aid, Micro Made Ridicul.. Unfortunately, I didn't take this advice and ended up using most of these books for the first time as I started my studying for boards..

But it saves so much time and stress if you already have notes and comments in these books before you start your USMLE prep..

Other than that, just learn the material well the first time around.. Again it makes boards a lot less stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is very good advice...use review books to study for 2nd year classes (the same books that you will use for boards studying). they will give you a good initial overview of the material- probably not enough detail for med school classes but it will definitely help you out in may / june when you are trying to memorize every page in BRS path / physio / micro etc.

in my experience, 2nd year was significantly more difficult than 1st year (i studied at least twice as much for similar grades), but, as someone mentioned earlier, the material is more interesting, too.

bud

study harder

Spend more time studying and participating in stuff you enjoy, and waste less time, like on SDN.... :(

Study hard (duh). Path is the cornerstone of the 2nd year. Board review books are good. Do your best to pick up clinical pearls & skills to be prepared for the hospital next year.

I'm admittedly biased, but take a look at The Wolf Files sometime before you start in the hospital.

Best of luck.

Advice for 2nd Year

General

?X I found the lecture quality to be extremely variable and poorer overall as compared to first year. Most of the lecturers now are clinicians, as opposed to last year where they were mostly researchers. This can make things scatterbrained, because some folks will emphase the clinical, some the basic science, some whatever comes to mind. Clinicians may or may not have an interest in organizing their lectures or even making usable handouts.
?X Therefore, this year you have to be a more independent learner. You have to search out some things on your own b/c the handouts and lecturers may not explain them.
?X A medical dictionary is essential.
?X Pathology is kind of confusing in the beginning because it??s general info and not specific to an organ system. Bear with it and keep referring back to this first stuff (Inflammatory process, wound healing etc.) and it will gradually make sense. As the year goes on you will gain a clearer understanding of this discipline. (It really is a discipline!)
?X The key to pathology is learning how to categorize all the diseases pertaining to an organ system, so that you have a sense of where they fit into the puzzle, what overall things can go wrong, and how they compare to each other. By seeing what??s different about the diseases, you learn them.
?X For renal and GI you will rely heavily on Robbins.
?X Robbins isn??t the greatest book because it is wordy and not always readily understandable. Some parts are good. The renal path is good. It makes sense when you review it and read more than once, but who has the time?
?X The material this year is learned by memorization. You need to discover your own most effective method of memorizing material. For example, some people use flash cards. (They write the cards from memory as they're reading--read a section, stop, think about it, regurgitate it onto a flash card. It doesn't work if you just copy the info from a book to a card.) For me this approach is too disjointed, because I like to see the big picture and how everything is interrelated. Here is a technique that I found worked for me.
o #1 list all the info you need to know (ex?Xall the drugs)
o find a way to compare them, interrelate them?Xa lot of memorization is aided by comparing things to each other and noting the differences
o put all the info on one page
o re-write the info on the subway/bus/etc.
o pathology & pharmacology?Xuse the method of categorization. Ex: Renal Path: Categories could be:
1) Damage to glomerulus
a) Nephritic
i)acute poststreptococcal GN
ii) crescentic GN
iii) IgA nephropathy
b) Nephrotic
i) membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis
ii) membranous glomerulonephritis
iii) lipoid nephrosis
iv) focal segmental GN

2) Damage to tubules
a) pyelonephritis
b) acute tubular necrosis

3) Cystic diseases of the kidney
a) APKD
b) ARPKD

4) Neoplasia

Etc. now once you have your diseases categorized, be able to approach them systematically:
-what is the etiology?
-pathogenesis?
-histopathology?
-gross pathology?
-clinical manifestations?
-diagnosis?
-treatment?

(Don't worry too much about the last two, just have a general idea--this comes into play next year.)

To help you remember these facts, compare and contrast the diseases. Ex: what's the difference in glomerular destruction between lipoid nephrosis and membranous GN? Etc.

Immunology-- it helped me to start off with the Lange step 1 review book for micro/immuno. Gives great overview with enough details to be pretty comprehensive.

Cardio:
?X Use the Lilly textbook. I cannot stress this enough. It is amazing.

USMLE:

?X A lot of people say to get review books ahead of time and use them for your review during the year for block exams. This has pros and cons:
o Pros: This is helpful if you tend to remember things by the way they were presented on the page, because it makes you familiar with a particular review sheet and then it??s quicker and easier to fill in any gaps when you review it at the end of the year.
o Cons: The review for the USLME is not as detailed as the level of detail you need to know for each block exam. In review materials the concepts may be oversimplified. It needs to be this way in order to test for the USMLE because that test can??t question the nuances of a particular approach the way a block exam can.
?X Something that is very helpful is to make your own review sheets while studying for the block that are simple and short and that put all the concepts together. These you created from your own mental image and you will be able to look back on them and remember more easily than a picture created by an author of a book. Ex: putting all the GI hormones in one diagram. Easy to look back on, easy to remember.
?X You must find your own way and believe in it. We are all different. Only you know how you work best and what will work for you.
?X Take as much time as you need. Some people study in 4 weeks, some 6. If you know you need 6, don??t try to push it into 5. If you know you will go nuts after 4 weeks, don??t try to stretch it out to 6.
?X While reviewing for the block exam, make concise review notes. Collect these notes at the end of the block in a binder. Save them throughout the year and at the end of the year, when you go back to review for step 1, you will have a nice collection of your own material to work with.
?X It??s true that the best preparation for the USMLE that you can do during the year is to learn the material well the first time. This means that when you study for boards it will truly be review. This is important for two reasons: It makes it so that when you re-review things make sense in a way that they didn??t before. And, you will need speed; the only way to get through the material fast enough is if it is truly review. You don??t have time to be learning new things. This is the time to solidify what you know, refresh your memory and maybe add some new facts here and there.
?X Getting acclimated to review books during the school year. Personally, I found this hard to do b/c I didn??t have enough time to look through them and often they were too general for good block review. But, in retrospect, I think it would be good to get First Aid, and just read through the pertinent sections to the block. This will help clarify/give an overview to some of the trickier path like lymphomas and leukemias, as well as keep you familiar with the book. First Aid is a good review anchor. It is not thorough, but it gives a good framework, a good jumping off point. It is a good guide during the last few days before the exam in order to focus on last min review. It??s good to annotate this book (from memory if possible) for the last review. And if you??re already used to it ahead of time, then things will stick a lot better. Step Up is a systems based review book. It is also pretty good. First edition had a lot of mistakes.
?X First Aid is a tool. Not a comprehensive review source. Learn how to use it as a tool. The pharm and micro is viewed as pretty complete.

For path, use BRS Pathology throughout the year in addition to your course notes. It was probably one of the best review books I've usd in med school. Making charts (particularly with the renal pathology and bone tumors) is a great way to compare/contrast similar diseases.

For pharm, buy 4X6 index cards. Write the drug name on one side and on the other relevant facts such as mechanism, interactions, major side effects. Keep up with the cards all year so that you will have them to review for finals and boards. Learn the autonomic pharm extremely well at the beginning of the year and review that material frequently. If you don't have a strong background in that area, the rest of the course will be that much more difficult.

For micro, Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple is a great book. Much of micro is just straight memorization and knowing the basics will give you a few easy points on step one.

In terms for studying for step one, it will really depend on how your year is structured in terms of when it would be best to start reviewing. Don't get bogged down in trying to review a lot of first year material during the second year. If you do feel the need to review, the best area to emphasize is physiology and a great way to do this is to review the physiology of the organ system you are studying in path. BRS Physiology is a good source for this.

If you didn't do many fun things in your first year, try to squeeze a few in this year. Sometimes studying for ten hours doesn't do you more good than studying for eight and spending a little more time sleeping, with family, or working on a hobby is more beneficial. Ignore how much your classmates study or say they study. Do what you have to do to make the grades you will feel proud of.

First Aid has a lot of mnemonics that I really wished I'd looked at during 2nd year (1st too for that matter). Other than that, I used review books mostly for practice questions. I rewrote all the notes we were given in my own format/words, etc., which I think helped a lot.