Tips for an excellent personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelovepuns

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have tips for writing a personal statement? I sometimes have trouble putting complex feelings into words. Did you have success using any writing exercises or strategies to help write a compelling, cohesive story that goes beyond just dryly answering the prompt? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently revising my final draft. This website Personal Statement – Optometry Admissions can help. While some of the info is generic, I think the best advice is to show, not just tell. Instead of “I’m interested in optometry,” tell them something like “I shadowed this doctor and learned this, I shadowed a different doctor and noticed that,” etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m currently revising my final draft. This website Personal Statement – Optometry Admissions can help. While some of the info is generic, I think the best advice is to show, not just tell. Instead of “I’m interested in optometry,” tell them something like “I shadowed this doctor and learned this, I shadowed a different doctor and noticed that,” etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi there! I hope you don't think this is a dumb question, but what school is it that requires the personal statement? I am working on my applications now on OptomCAS and besides pretty much putting in your CV, there is only an essay question - it seems to be the same question that all the schools are asking. Where is this personal statement coming from? Is it on the supplemental applications? -Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the essay question on OptomCAS considered the personal statement?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the essay question on OptomCAS considered the personal statement?
Hi! No that's perfect! I wasn't sure about that since I had never heard anyone call it a personal statement before, but you answered my question perfect! Sorry about that lol

Reactions: 1 user