Tips for applying to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amandaeleven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends! It has been a while since I've posted on here, but I wanted to try to lend a hand to providing advice for all of you applying to residency [either now, or in the coming years!]. I posted a very general blog entry about some tips and pitfalls I've seen over the years. Here it is: Tips for applying to residency – Amanda Xi

Feel free to respond to this thread with questions - I have a bit of time in the upcoming few days to respond.

ALSO, for those of you going to ASA, I'll be giving the networking talk at the medical student component meeting. Come say hi! I love meeting people in real life. =)

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts on contacting the program coordinator to express interest if you haven't received an interview invite from them and know that they have already started sending out IIs? If so, is email okay or is calling more effective?

Thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule to help advise us! It's both a stressful but exciting time.

What are your thoughts on contacting the program coordinator to express interest if you haven't received an interview invite from them and know that they have already started sending out IIs? If so, is email okay or is calling more effective?

Thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule to help advise us! It's both a stressful but exciting time.

Such a good question! I think this is a common question and I can only speak to my own personal experience. I did receive a couple additional interviews after reaching out to program coordinators and explaining why I'm interested in their program (and also that I'm willing to move out of Michigan since my resume up until that time made me look like a Michigan girl for life). I think that if you're professional, make sure there are no typos and have a specific reason for being interested in the program, you should reach out to them. Remember that it is also possible that the program hadn't gotten to your application yet and that's the reason for why you didn't get an invite.

I would wait until the season has really commenced before sending emails -- this means late November/early December.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users