Tips For Boring Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionStanford

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking biochemistry right now, and my TA told me I have the highest average in the class (>98%), but the problem is, I usually get my test scores by cramming the night before when it's a boring class like this (In my opinion). It's hard to motivate myself to study biochemistry in the weeks leading up to the test when I can just do something else. Then a night or two before I pull one or two all nighters studying really diligently because then I have the pressure that I actually have to make sure I know the material now since the test isn't far away anymore. Any advice on boring classes, specifically for just motivating myself to keep on top of material all along when it doesn't interest me? That's the problem for me most of the time. It's not that the class is too difficult clearly since I manage high test scores.

Members don't see this ad.

If you find the cramming to be unpleasant (I hate it), then use the avoidance of cramming as your motivation. You'll also retain more by not cramming at the last minute, which is helpful for finals studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: 1 users
I was never able to curb my habit of studying the night before. You'll stop in medical school when that's no longer an option.

Break it up into smaller pieces that you do regularly. It doesn't seem as boring when you don't have a mountain of material to go through.

Cramming works for very few people in medical school, so maybe reflect on that. Unless you have a photographic memory, you'll likely hit a wall sooner or later.

Man I hope biochem is that easy. The average for biochem at our school is like a D :shifty:

Realize that mastery of the information is important and will be valuable to your success. Do what works for you and don't complain about stuff being "boring".

Understanding the big concepts in biochemistry (receptor/ligand interactions, signal transduction, metabolism, etc.) is essential for physiology (and subsequently pathophysiology) and pharmacology. If you learn it well now, then you won't have to put in as much work later. As long as you're learning the material and doing well, though, I don't see too much harm in what you're doing at the moment... Med school is another story, but you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Just my 2cents brah, learn to study efficiently . You wont be able to do that in medical school.

You at Stanford now? Or are you a Stanford hopeful?? Lmao. Anyways OP it seems like you're just looking for a huge ego stroke. I.E., "I cram the night before biochem tests and pull 98's, but what should I do to motivate me to study more? But then again I get 98's cramming the night before so its hard for me to be diligent about my studying." Anyways OP, if you are getting those grades what is your CONCERN? And what was the point of making this thread? /thread

I guess I don't really understand the point of this thread. You need advice on how to motivate yourself? That's a problem. A worse one than someone who tries their hardest and gets a B or C, in my opinion.