*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it would be wrong to list that say, I have 300 hours of volunteering when I submit my primary in the beginning of June when in fact that is the number of hours I should have by the end of June?

I had an additional question; if I applied to, and won, several research grants- should I list that under a separate heading (i.e. "Research Grants"), or should I try to fit it under the narrative description of my time in the specific PI's research lab.
You may do either, or alternatively, list the grants with the rest of the Awards/Honors/scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would be wrong to list that say, I have 300 hours of volunteering when I submit my primary in the beginning of June when in fact that is the number of hours I should have by the end of June?
Yes, I do.

There is an honor system in place here. Don't be that guy who couldn't get his claims verified by an adcomm phone call, or who listed something not yet done and then was prevented from completing his intent due the death of the program director, a personal medical illness/accident, a positive TB skin test, or a catastrophic family event. It happens every year.

In respect to clinical volunteering:

The date I began + the avg hrs/wk details the amount of time I spent volunteering there, but is it wise to indicate the approx cumulative hours in the description? I have around 250 hrs, and I'm not sure if its better to emphasize that or just leave it to the adcom to see the years spent + hrs/wk.

Yes, I do.

There is an honor system in place here. Don't be that guy who couldn't get his claims verified by an adcomm phone call, or who listed something not yet done and then was prevented from completing his intent due the death of the program director, a personal medical illness/accident, a positive TB skin test, or a catastrophic family event. It happens every year.

Well I was under the impression that by the time the adcomms are reviewing my application I should have over 300 hours. Would this not be the case if the application isn't even forwarded to schools until the end of June? I'm not trying to hoodwink anyone or lie here but I think it just looks more substantial to have 300 hours which is what I'll have by the time adcomms receive my application if they are forwarded at the end of June. Is this wrong? Ohhh I guess you're insinuating that I might not complete the 300 hours for some unforeseen occurrence? Maybe I should wait until the end of June then to send it?

Also for activities that I participated in during the summer but then discontinued until the next summer and beyond, would it be all right to list the activity start and end date by year but then elaborate in the description that in the first year it was only during the summer? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I was under the impression that by the time the adcomms are reviewing my application I should have over 300 hours. Would this not be the case if the application isn't even forwarded to schools until the end of June? I'm not trying to hoodwink anyone or lie here but I think it just looks more substantial to have 300 hours which is what I'll have by the time adcomms receive my application if they are forwarded at the end of June. Is this wrong? Ohhh I guess you're insinuating that I might not complete the 300 hours for some unforeseen occurrence? Maybe I should wait until the end of June then to send it?

Also for activities that I participated in during the summer but then discontinued until the next summer and beyond, would it be all right to list the activity start and end date by year but then elaborate in the description that in the first year it was only during the summer? Thanks!

The point here is that you are truthful as to what you DO have at the time you press "Submit Application". For example: This could be the underline assumption that adcoms would read your application under. To them, they could likely think that you had 300 hrs at the time you submitted and that you must have more now that time has passed since you indicated "until present". In fact, they form a false image of the truth of the matter.

Stick to what is true at the time of your application and feel confident when you get interviewed that everything you say is truthful and that you did it all without having to do things you, yourself, questioned the validity of.

In respect to clinical volunteering:

The date I began + the avg hrs/wk details the amount of time I spent volunteering there, but is it wise to indicate the approx cumulative hours in the description? I have around 250 hrs, and I'm not sure if its better to emphasize that or just leave it to the adcom to see the years spent + hrs/wk.
I think it's very helpful to have the hours totaled. In the case of the math-challenged adcomm, it's also wise for you to sum it up.

While you could do that, some adcomms feel it can be misleading to record it that way unless you average the total hours over the entire 15+ month time span (which dilutes them significantly). So, perhaps it's better to either list the activity twice with the individual date spans, or list the most recent/most substantive and then in the narrative give the second date span, hours/week, and total hours. At the end of the narrative, give the grand total for both periods.

if you start something that is teaching related, should it be listed as "Teaching/Tutoring" or "Leadership" ???

if you start something that is teaching related, should it be listed as "Teaching/Tutoring" or "Leadership" ???

What exactly is it? Another thing to consider in your decision is what aspect of the experience you want to emphasize. Lots of times, activities truly fall under many categories, but they can mean different things to you.

Last edited:
Ok I've kind of already asked this question once but I am SO confused right now

here's the rundown: I do clinical research in neurosurgery at an institution ( more than 1 year of experience). I had two abstracts accepted and presented at a national conference this year.

my question(s): I'm going to group both abstracts in the the presentations/posters section (unless I shouldn't?). In the experience name should I list the specific conference name? and for the organization name should I write AANS? and in the description I only write the titles? sorry I know these seem like stupid questions

and should list my overall clinical research experience under research to talk about my clinical research experience as whole?

Thanks!

List contact info for the most prestigious award and list it first. Then list the other awards in the description box below that. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to add contact info for each award in the description box, but you probably should add the contact info when you're grouping activities like shadowing

So in my awards section; I will select the experience type as "awards", put in my top academic award name in the "experience name" box and list the remaining awards in the narrative box? I feel like the ADCOMS will get confused if they see "Goldwater honorable mention" as the experience name and than go to the narrative only to see a list of other awards

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I enter Squirrel Club as one of my activities? It's a light-hearted club I'm in that meets once a week to feed squirrels and I thought it could show something unique about me. Also, can one of my meaningful experiences talk about how a job wasn't a fit for me but I still learned many valuable things and grew a lot from the negative experiences?

LOL at the squirrel club.. i like it :)

Thanks for all the advice so far guys(and Catalystik in particular). For the most meaningful activities should I write in-depth descriptions taking full advantage of the ~1300 character limit? I feel that this could overlap with my PS.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys(and Catalystik in particular). For the most meaningful activities should I write in-depth descriptions taking full advantage of the ~1300 character limit? I feel that this could overlap with my PS.

Take the most advantage of the space you are allotted without repeating what you've said in other parts of your application.

LOL at the squirrel club.. i like it :)

No seriously!! Could I put it in there or would it be too unprofessional? And could I have one of my most meaningful experiences be a somewhat negative experience?

Take the most advantage of the space you are allotted without repeating what you've said in other parts of your application.

Thanks! The instructions state that I'm allowed up to 3 activities to deign as most meaningful. If I choose to label three as such then I will have to designate one among the 3 as being the most meaningful. Does anyone think it would be detrimental if I only chose one activity as being the most meaningful?

I've been volunteering at a hospital for 2.5 years. However, I only volunteer during the semester, and the volunteer program only runs for about 12 weeks per semester at that. During those 12 weeks, I do about 3 hours a week of volunteer work. However, if I take my total hours divided by 130 weeks (including breaks from school), it averages out to a little over 1 hour a week.
How should I list this? I plan to be explicit in the description section and say exactly how many hours/semester and how many total hours I have done. So for the Average Hours/Week box, should I put 1 or 3? Or just leave it blank and assume they'll read the description?

I've been volunteering at a hospital for 2.5 years. However, I only volunteer during the semester, and the volunteer program only runs for about 12 weeks per semester at that. During those 12 weeks, I do about 3 hours a week of volunteer work. However, if I take my total hours divided by 130 weeks (including breaks from school), it averages out to a little over 1 hour a week.
How should I list this? I plan to be explicit in the description section and say exactly how many hours/semester and how many total hours I have done. So for the Average Hours/Week box, should I put 1 or 3? Or just leave it blank and assume they'll read the description?

if you put an hours/week, which i assume you should if it's at all practical, do the 1/week (taking into account the parts of the whole span you weren't volunteering). you can put the total in your description and mention briefly that it was only part of the time if you feel the 1 vs 3 hours at a time makes a difference. or so sayeth the other premed.... thats just what my understanding is so far...

No seriously!! Could I put it in there or would it be too unprofessional? And could I have one of my most meaningful experiences be a somewhat negative experience?

i think it's kinda funny. i dunno if i'd make a space for it specifically but if you have all clubs under a heading then i see no harm in including it in your list :)

the consensus on negative experiences seems to be yes they can be meaningful but you should emphasize the positive. you did that experience, you learned a lot about that job and about yourself, and it made you realize what you wanted to do and solidify your intentions yada yada, but don't say the people were catty and it was boring and so on.

Thanks! The instructions state that I'm allowed up to 3 activities to deign as most meaningful. If I choose to label three as such then I will have to designate one among the 3 as being the most meaningful. Does anyone think it would be detrimental if I only chose one activity as being the most meaningful?
I read through this post a few times and I am still confused about what you are trying to say. What are you asking?
It SEEMS like you're asking about if you can label one experience as most most meaningful, then have two experiences as most meaningful, then all of the rest of the activities as normal. If that's how you think it works, then I think you need to reread the instructions.

So in my awards section; I will select the experience type as "awards", put in my top academic award name in the "experience name" box and list the remaining awards in the narrative box? I feel like the ADCOMS will get confused if they see "Goldwater honorable mention" as the experience name and than go to the narrative only to see a list of other awards...

The same goes for my leadership; I have numerous leadership roles- should I name my most important one in the experience name box? Or should I just put "Leadership" in the experience name box?

AMCAS made this much more complicated than it should be :(

1) So in my awards section; I will select the experience type as "awards", put in my top academic award name in the "experience name" box and list the remaining awards in the narrative box? I feel like the ADCOMS will get confused if they see "Goldwater honorable mention" as the experience name and than go to the narrative only to see a list of other awards...

2) The same goes for my leadership; I have numerous leadership roles- should I name my most important one in the experience name box? Or should I just put "Leadership" in the experience name box?

3) AMCAS made this much more complicated than it should be :(
1) You could a) name the activity something more generic (eg, "Goldwater and Other Honors"), or b) give the Goldwater its own space to highlight it.

2) Naming it "All Leadership Positions" could solve the problem. Also, many will include leadership descriptions in the same space as the activity that led to the leadership so that the backstory of involvement in the organization is right there. This would give you more space in the grouped Leadership activity slot.

3) Maybe it's a built-in stress test.

here's the rundown: I do clinical research in neurosurgery at an institution ( more than 1 year of experience). I had two abstracts accepted and presented at a national conference this year.

1) I'm going to group both abstracts in the the presentations/posters section (unless I shouldn't?). In the experience name should I list the specific conference name? and for the organization name should I write AANS? and in the description I only write the titles? sorry I know these seem like stupid questions

2) and should list my overall clinical research experience under research to talk about my clinical research experience as whole?
1) You would be listing under activity type Posters/Presentations. You could name the activity something like "Abstracts presented at American Association of Neuroscience Annual Conference" or somesuch. Organization name could be AANS (don't use the abbreviation, though), but no need to fill this in if already included in the name of the activity. The description would be the titles, with authors listed in correct order or as the citation appears in the organization's brochure. I would also add who presented (since you still get credit even if it wasn't you).

2) Yes.

When lumping activities together, what should i put for the contact information, time frame of activity, and hours/week?

One more question: If I have finished every part of my application but am currently waiting for my school to send my transcript and a couple of professors to send LOR can I still submit the application or should I wait for them to get in? Additionally, does the application need to be verified prior to being sent to schools, for example if I submit the application on June 1st, will schools get it or will they get it after it's been verified?

thanks

Last edited:
1) You would be listing under activity type Posters/Presentations. You could name the activity something like "Abstracts presented at American Association of Neuroscience Annual Conference" or somesuch. Organization name could be AANS (don't use the abbreviation, though), but no need to fill this in if already included in the name of the activity. The description would be the titles, with authors listed in correct order or as the citation appears in the organization's brochure. I would also add who presented (since you still get credit even if it wasn't you).

2) Yes.

thanks Catalystik, I appreciate it

So what really should I list under the description of each activity? At the care minimum what i did but do i go on to say why this was a good experience, what i learned, ect? I dont know how much detail to go into on them or how pretty to make it sound lol

1) The friend is also a business associate and can vouch for your emplyment dates.

3) It's common to list 9-10 activities. No fluff, please.

Thanks for your help, Catalystik. I think I will certainly cut the fluff and list around 11-12 activities or so.

I have a question about hours/week. I spent a few years in the USMC and I'm trying to figure out what to under average hours/week. I feel that if I put 84 hours/week (14 hour days, 6 day weeks) that I'm cheating myself out of the fact that in boot camp, schools, training, and Iraq, there really isn't any time off.

Is there a consensus on how to go about this? I mean, 168 hrs/wk might seem excessive.

I have searched the thread and read the AMCAS instruction manual, but I'm having trouble finding an answer to what seems like a simple question. I know we list publications and research experiences separately. But when listing my publication, what do I put for "Average Hours/Week:" and "Experience Name"?

Do I leave the average hours/week part blank and use the title of the publication as Experience Name?

1) When lumping activities together, what should i put for the contact information, time frame of activity, and hours/week?

2) If I have finished every part of my application but am currently waiting for my school to send my transcript and a couple of professors to send LOR can I still submit the application or should I wait for them to get in? Additionally, does the application need to be verified prior to being sent to schools, for example if I submit the application on June 1st, will schools get it or will they get it after it's been verified?
1) It depends on the situation. Others posting earlier, who gave specific details, have received situation-specific responses that might help you out.

2) Once submission of the AMCAS application is permitted, it is not necessary that all LORs and transcripts had been received. But verification won't proceed until all transcripts have been received.

Schools might be aware that you've submitted and listed their school on June 1, but even if your transcript is verified in the next few days, no school will receive your full verified application until June 10.

Hi. I have a bunch of separate research volunteer positions, an undergrad research thesis experience and currently doing a research based masters.
would it be ok to clump all my undergrad research into one entry and put my masters research into another? or should I clump all of them into one entry?

Also, when I clump experiences, I know I have to clarify the time for each individual experience in the description. However, how should I set the dates for these entries? Should I put the beginning of the earliest experience to the end of the last? That may be a bit biased or skewed. (for example different shadowing experiences)

Thanks!

So what really should I list under the description of each activity? At the care minimum what i did but do i go on to say why this was a good experience, what i learned, ect? I dont know how much detail to go into on them or how pretty to make it sound lol
The level of description and reflection on the activity are self determined, as is use of narrative vs bullet points.

Definitely pay attention to grammar, punctuation, and content so that it is apparent the Primary Statement and Activities description seem to be written by the same person.

I have a question about hours/week. I spent a few years in the USMC and I'm trying to figure out what to under average hours/week. I feel that if I put 84 hours/week (14 hour days, 6 day weeks) that I'm cheating myself out of the fact that in boot camp, schools, training, and Iraq, there really isn't any time off.

Is there a consensus on how to go about this? I mean, 168 hrs/wk might seem excessive.
There is no consensus, so whatever you decide is fine. You could leave the hours per week blank and discuss the variation in hours worked in the narrative, as you have here.

I have searched the thread and read the AMCAS instruction manual, but I'm having trouble finding an answer to what seems like a simple question. I know we list publications and research experiences separately. But when listing my publication, what do I put for "Average Hours/Week:" and "Experience Name"?

Do I leave the average hours/week part blank and use the title of the publication as Experience Name?
Yes, leave the hours per week blank. The name might be something like "Nature Publication." The citation would be listed in the description portion.

Hi. I have a bunch of separate research volunteer positions, an undergrad research thesis experience and currently doing a research based masters.
would it be ok to clump all my undergrad research into one entry and put my masters research into another? or should I clump all of them into one entry?

Also, when I clump experiences, I know I have to clarify the time for each individual experience in the description. However, how should I set the dates for these entries? Should I put the beginning of the earliest experience to the end of the last? That may be a bit biased or skewed. (for example different shadowing experiences)

Thanks!
You can clump lab experiences by time, by institution, by topic, by lab, or whatever. Using more spaces gives you more keystrokes for description. It's your choice.

For date span for shadowing, there are lots of choices of how to do it: you can put the first and last dates for those activites listed in the description with total hours shadowed per doc, or say fall 2010 for X hours, or spring semester for 10 hours per month, plus 40 hours over spring break for a total of 80 hours, or say 4 hours per week during summers 2009 and 2010 for a total of XX hours.

Sorry for the stupid question and if it was answered already. But if you average the total hours over the total month time span and the number turns out with decimals, do you round the number? or record the exact number?
If you try to find the total number of hours using the number rounded up, it gives an overestimate...

Also, can you use abbreviations? like OR instead of operation room in the description? For some activities I find that 700 characters limit to be too tight (I already picked the 3 most meaningful experiences).

I had some small scholarships (not worth mentioning separate) which I included in the corresponding research experience descriptions but don't have enough space to specify year and amount obtained, would it be fine?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for the stupid question and if it was answered already. But if you average the total hours over the total month time span and the number turns out with decimals, do you round the number? or record the exact number?
If you try to find the total number of hours using the number rounded up, it gives an overestimate...

Also, can you use abbreviations? like OR instead of operation room in the description? For some activities I find that 700 characters limit to be too tight (I already picked the 3 most meaningful experiences).

I had some small scholarships (not worth mentioning separate) which I included in the corresponding research experience descriptions but don't have enough space to specify year and amount obtained, would it be fine?

Thanks

1) Just round to the nearest good looking number, the decimals thing might make you come off as OCD.

2) I usually follow the rules that I do with any paper, in that I define an abbreviation if I have to use it. If you are pressed for characters, see if you can cut out unnecessary wording. If you really can't do it, then make sure your description makes it obvious that OR = operating room.

3) Ya, + gives you more to talk about in interview if it comes up

I decided to make a separate slot just for posters that I am not first-author on (couldn't fit submitted papers on the same slot). I wanted to make sure that my set-up would not cause any confusion for the person reading my primary:

Experience type: Poster/Presentation
Experience Name: Additional Research Presentations
Presentation Date: (date of most prestigious presentation)
Organization: (Organization of most prestigious presentation)
Experience Description:
1). citation of the most prestigious poster (the poster whose presentation date and organization was used in the header)
2). 2nd poster citation
3). 3rd poster citation

I wanted to ensure that for the 1st poster, in the narrative, I wouldn't have to REWRITE the presentation dates and organization- I assume ADCOMS will realize that the header info pertains to the the 1st listed poster?

How do I list a contact for an organization (not affiliated with my university) that I created? Should I just leave it blank?

I decided to make a separate slot just for posters that I am not first-author on (couldn't fit submitted papers on the same slot). I wanted to make sure that my set-up would not cause any confusion for the person reading my primary:

Experience type: Poster/Presentation
Experience Name: Additional Research Presentations
Presentation Date: (date of most prestigious presentation)
Organization: (Organization of most prestigious presentation)
Experience Description:
1). citation of the most prestigious poster (the poster whose presentation date and organization was used in the header)
2). 2nd poster citation
3). 3rd poster citation

I wanted to ensure that for the 1st poster, in the narrative, I wouldn't have to REWRITE the presentation dates and organization- I assume ADCOMS will realize that the header info pertains to the the 1st listed poster?
I would assume that, too. It should be clear when you include similar info after subsequent listings. For example:

ALSO:
2). 2nd poster citation, presented by myself, 3/3/10 at AANS Annual Conference, Toronto.
3). 3rd poster citation, pesented by first author, 5/2/11 at New york Neurosurgery Institute, New York City, NY.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

If one were to lump unrelated activities under something like Work experience, the contact information would have to be case by case, but there is only one slot to enter in that information. Is it acceptable to include this information in the description box?

If I'm describing in my activity list what I learned from an activity/how I grew from it, should I give specific examples of instances that led to this? For instance if I say an activity improved my ability to work in a team/collaborate with others, is it ok to just leave it at that? Or are adcoms looking for similar levels of detail as my PS?

I don't think it will let you leave it blank. Isn't there at least one other person in your organization? If not, then it's time to appoint a Vice President.

Well, it's something I do by myself independently, so it's not exactly an organization...

I'm thinking about adding a hobby of mine that I love: cooking; do you guys think that would be a reasonable addition?

Along that line- what should my narrative for this hobby focus on? My PS discusses a particular instance of this hobby, so I was thinking I would discuss cooking and my interests in the culinary arts in a bit broader scope in the activities section

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

If one were to lump unrelated activities under something like Work experience, the contact information would have to be case by case, but there is only one slot to enter in that information. Is it acceptable to include this information in the description box?
That is exactly what you'd need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.