*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I fill out my app (next year) will I need to list the dates volunteer work/shadowing was done? Basically I'm asking if I cram a bunch of volunteer work and my shadowing in during the summer, will adcoms see this, and will it look kind of bad?

Yes, you have to give dates.

Members don't see this ad.

You do have to put dates. But, since you have a summer and a year before you apply, if you started a few activities now (especially clinical volunteering) and kept with them til you apply, you would have a very reasonable amount of EC's.

you can cram shadowing as this is an experience that typically doesn't need a long-time commitment. Just get the hours and get out. Volunteering projects can work as well, just as long as you still have long-term volunteer projects to do during school.

Even if dates didn't matter, a single summer isn't enough time to get all the experience you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
How adcoms will look at you cramming in your activities depends on a few things. What were you doing up until now? Is this the first chance you've had to be involved? Did you just recently make a decision to enter medicine? Are you going to be starting these activities before or after you start your application?

If you have nothing to show for the rest of your college time, then it's going to look like you're just cramming it in to put it on the application, which isn't such a good thing.

I have two questions about the EC part of AMCAS

-first, for my first 2 yrs undergrad i participated in Army ROTC, which I really enjoyed and it really did give me a new perspective on things. I decided not to continue with ROTC because I want to do HPSP (joing army after getting accepted to med school). I was planning on mentioning this as a "memorable activity" but Im not sure how some schools will take the whole joining the army thing... thoughts?

-second, as part of a class project, I was group leader (6 kids). As such we developed an energy sustainable template to jumpstart a recyling program in my schools county. Can I list this as an activity? it was a lot of hard work, and I definitely had to pull out my leadership skills. Would I list it under leadership?

Thanks!

List as many things as you want. I dont think any of it will hurt you. If anything it will just show them that you have passion for something other than Medicine. Remember they are looking for well-rounded people not Pre-med Psycho Junkies.

As far as the ROTC thing. I think you could spin it by just writing about it and how it affected you and why it was good etc.

Remember these sections have a word count, you dont HAVE to go in to a minute description of your exact thought process down to the firing of your synapses.

Remember these sections have a word count, you dont HAVE to go in to a minute description of your exact thought process down to the firing of your synapses.

It's way worse than a word count... It's a character count :scared:

I have two questions about the EC part of AMCAS

-first, for my first 2 yrs undergrad i participated in Army ROTC, which I really enjoyed and it really did give me a new perspective on things. I decided not to continue with ROTC because I want to do HPSP (joing army after getting accepted to med school). I was planning on mentioning this as a "memorable activity" but Im not sure how some schools will take the whole joining the army thing... thoughts?

-second, as part of a class project, I was group leader (6 kids). As such we developed an energy sustainable template to jumpstart a recyling program in my schools county. Can I list this as an activity? it was a lot of hard work, and I definitely had to pull out my leadership skills. Would I list it under leadership?
You are limited to listing 15 significant activities. Since both of these experiences seem to have been meaningful to you, there is no reason not to include them if you have the room. Both could fit under the designation of "Other," or for ROTC, possibly "Leadership," depending on if you can support that with an explanation. Peer leadership is inferred. Leading kids doesn't seem to fit that, but if you had to also work with community leaders to get the project in place, then using Leadership is fine, so long as you explain.

If you decide not to list ROTC, adcomms would be aware of your involvement anyway, as you likely have some class credits related to it, right?

Peer leadership is inferred. Leading kids doesn't seem to fit that, but if you had to also work with community leaders to get the project in place, then using Leadership is fine, so long as you explain.

If by "kids" you mean college kids, then the OP could count it as leadership. If the OP had been working with grade school kids, then not so much. If it was a recycling program with young goats -- that's a whole other category.

If by "kids" you mean college kids, then the OP could count it as leadership. If the OP had been working with grade school kids, then not so much. If it was a recycling program with young goats -- that's a whole other category.
:laugh:

If by "kids" you mean college kids, then the OP could count it as leadership. If the OP had been working with grade school kids, then not so much.
Agreed. Being a politically correct pediatrician, I (probably mistakenly) interpreted the use of the word "kids" as meaning children, rather than other young adults or classmates.

If it was a recycling program with young goats -- that's a whole other category
Someone is in a playful mood today. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, by kids i meant college peers, and I did work closely with the head of the recycling division, so I'm guessing I could list that as leadership.

For ROTC - i did hold a leadership position as a cadet team leader, and yes i do have class credit for it as well as a LOR from a MAJ who taught me.

How would you list something that actually can be placed into multiple categories. Or more specifically, an activity that was done as part of an organization that falls into non-clinical community service and artistic endeavor. Or a non clinical community service project that was part of a leadership position that was also a paid job? Would it be easier to separate said experiences and then put down the organization that they were a part of in their respective categories or to list said experiences in the description section of the overall organization. With the character limit shortened this year, it could be difficult for me to do the latter.

How would you list something that actually can be placed into multiple categories. Or more specifically, an activity that was done as part of an organization that falls into non-clinical community service and artistic endeavor. Or a non clinical community service project that was part of a leadership position that was also a paid job? Would it be easier to separate said experiences and then put down the organization that they were a part of in their respective categories or to list said experiences in the description section of the overall organization. With the character limit shortened this year, it could be difficult for me to do the latter.
You have a lot of flexibility in deciding how to list Experiences. If an activity covers several categories, choose the one that balances your application best. For example, if you already have other nonmedical cmmunity service, then the one that is about an artistic endeavor would be better placed in the latter category. The name or description of the activity can make clear that more than one category is covered.

You also have the option of splitting out components of an activity and listing them separately. Eg, you tutored kids after school for two years, but then became the organizer of the endeavor for the following year, recruiting and training others, and having control of scheduling and liaison with school officials. This could be done in two spaces, or in one space, with the two date spans/named activity discussed separately, or with the narrative discussing how you started and how the activity evolved.

BTW, one would NEVER list the same activity twice with two different designations and duplicate identical hours.

You have a lot of flexibility in deciding how to list Experiences. If an activity covers several categories, choose the one that balances your application best. For example, if you already have other nonmedical cmmunity service, then the one that is about an artistic endeavor would be better placed in the latter category. The name or description of the activity can make clear that more than one category is covered.

You also have the option of splitting out components of an activity and listing them separately. Eg, you tutored kids after school for two years, but then became the organizer of the endeavor for the following year, recruiting and training others, and having control of scheduling and liaison with school officials. This could be done in two spaces, or in one space, with the two date spans/named activity discussed separately, or with the narrative discussing how you started and how the activity evolved.

BTW, one would NEVER list the same activity twice with two different designations and duplicate identical hours.

Thanks for your help, its definitely helping me out. Its weird because I wasn't involved in a whole lot of organizations only because the few that I were involved in allowed me to do so much that I didn't need to bother doing anything else. Its just a matter of how I can place all these different experiences on the AMCAS without looking like I'm trying to superficially pad my resume and cheat my way to the 15 slots.

So you can't simultaneously list something as volunteer/leadership? What if your role was a volunteer, but you led the effort of recruiting for a clinical research study/outreach in a physician's office?

You have a lot of flexibility in deciding how to list Experiences. If an activity covers several categories, choose the
one that balances your application best. For example, if you already have other nonmedical cmmunity service, then the one that is about an artistic endeavor would be better placed in the latter category. The name or description of the activity can make clear that more than one category is covered.

So you can't simultaneously list something as volunteer/leadership? What if your role was a volunteer, but you led the effort of recruiting for a clinical research study/outreach in a physician's office?
For category, you must choose from a pull-down menu, and would either list it under Community Service/Volunteer. Or Leadership. Or under Research. Not under all three listing the same dates and identical hours.

The name you give the activity can reflect more than one role however: "Volunteer Clinical Research Coordinator", for example.

Does this explain what you wanted to know?

Sure. So shadowing is typically listed as "other". Do people put activities outside of medicine on their EC list? For instance (Catalystik), you mentioned that playing the cello and piano are great activities/stress relievers to mention. Would I list them on the AMCAS list of 15? List them as "other" or do I mention them in a PS or .....

In addition, could someone possibly list all the possible categories in the drop down box (verbatim).

For category, you must choose from a pull-down menu, and would either list it under Community Service/Volunteer. Or Leadership. Or under Research. Not under all three listing the same dates and identical hours.

The name you give the activity can reflect more than one role however: "Volunteer Clinical Research Coordinator", for example.

Does this explain what you wanted to know?

Last edited:
1) So shadowing is typically listed as "other".
2) Do people put activities outside of medicine on their EC list? For instance (Catalystik), you mentioned that playing the cello and piano are great activities/stress relievers to mention. Would I list them on the AMCAS list of 15? List them as "other" or do I mention them in a PS or .....
3) In addition, could someone possibly list all the possible categories in the drop down box (verbatim).
1) Yes.
2) Yes. Typically, all hobbies are listed in a single space, unless one is so important to your life that you need a full 700 characters to express your ideas. If your music is something you often share with others, it might be upgraded to its own space, and listed under Artistic Endeavors. Or you could even build your PS theme around it and leave it out of the Experiences section completely.
3) We don't know if this year's application is different, but last year (to my recall):

Community Service/Volunteer-Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical
Employment-Military
Paid Employment-not Military
Leadership
Teaching/Tutoring
Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations
Artistic Endeavors
Intercollegiate Sports
Research/Lab
Posters/Presentations
Publications
Conferences Attended
Honors/Awards/Recognitions
Other

I have a few shadow experiences in which the doctor pushed me to be involved. For example, the pediatrician and endocrinologist I shadowed had me take vitals and clean the rooms for all patients. I also had a one-day shadow in another country where the doctor allowed me to take vitals, help suture, change bandages, give injections, do home visits etc. would these experiences still be counted as shadowing? If not what do I list them under?

I went on a medical relief trip where I (and about 12 others) spent 3 weeks working with 2 doctors setting up free clinics in poor communities doing physicals, pt histories etc. We had 15 clinic/home-visit days and 3 days of community day where everyone gathered in the Church and we spent the day teaching them basic hygiene and health care (hair washing, teeth brushing, healthy eating habits etc.) Most of the time we spoke in Spanish. (I wasn't able to get an LoR because the doctor's spoke little English.) What category would this go under? Should I split it up and list it separately? I talk about it a bit in my personal statement and I don't plan to make it one of my 3 most significant activities.

I have research experience across 6-7 different Labs/PI's from the past six years (pretty active across different disciplines lol)...

I feel that each experience brings something unique to the table. Currently, they all fit but it takes up 3 of the activity slots. However, the problem is that in order to fit, each respective slot has a mix of different labs listed. What should I title them as?
"Research 1, Research 2, Research 3"?

Also, 2 of my 3 "most meaningful" experiences are related to research (one is publications and the other is posters/presentations). This is basically a result of needing the full ~2000 characters for these two particular categories. Do I look too research focused?

For what it's worth, the rest of my 15 are pretty well-rounded and broad in scope.

Also, 2 of my 3 "most meaningful" experiences are related to research (one is publications and the other is posters/presentations). Do I look too research focused?

I have no advice regarding the titling of the activities. My opinion regarding the bolded question: you're applying to Stanford, so no. You're looking purty good.

Good luck, Frazier.

Most of my descriptions have been hovering around 400-600, with two of them pushing 700. The most meaningful entries (2) are about 900-1000. I didn't use bullet points... most of them are entered as formal descriptions in complete sentences.

Sort of worried that Adcoms will think its too dense and skim over a lot of info. Any suggestions or anyone else having this problem?

1) I have research experience across 6-7 different Labs/PI's from the past six years (pretty active across different disciplines lol)...

I feel that each experience brings something unique to the table. Currently, they all fit but it takes up 3 of the activity slots. However, the problem is that in order to fit, each respective slot has a mix of different labs listed. What should I title them as?
"Research 1, Research 2, Research 3"?

2) Also, 2 of my 3 "most meaningful" experiences are related to research (one is publications and the other is posters/presentations). This is basically a result of needing the full ~2000 characters for these two particular categories. Do I look too research focused?
1) What about referring to them by PI, like Garcia Lab, Jones Lab, and Patel Lab? (This leaves the option of then referring to projects within a lab as Project 1, 2, etc.) If you aren't sorting them by lab, what are you doing? Sorting by topic, by dates, or what?

2) This is a curse you may have to bear.

1) I have a few shadow experiences in which the doctor pushed me to be involved. For example, the pediatrician and endocrinologist I shadowed had me take vitals and clean the rooms for all patients. I also had a one-day shadow in another country where the doctor allowed me to take vitals, help suture, change bandages, give injections, do home visits etc. would these experiences still be counted as shadowing? If not what do I list them under?

2) I went on a medical relief trip where I (and about 12 others) spent 3 weeks working with 2 doctors setting up free clinics in poor communities doing physicals, pt histories etc. We had 15 clinic/home-visit days and 3 days of community day where everyone gathered in the Church and we spent the day teaching them basic hygiene and health care (hair washing, teeth brushing, healthy eating habits etc.) Most of the time we spoke in Spanish. (I wasn't able to get an LoR because the doctor's spoke little English.) What category would this go under? Should I split it up and list it separately? I talk about it a bit in my personal statement and I don't plan to make it one of my 3 most significant activities.
1) If you already have plenty of clinical experience to list, then leave them under a Shadowing listing. If not, then split out the active experiences and list them as Clinical, with perhaps the % time of shadowing mentioned there or listed with other shadowing. Alternatively, you could list them among other Short-Term Volunteer experiences under "Other".

2) This sounds predominantly like Clinical Experience with some Teaching, as well. I'd probably list it under the former, and just mention the latter in the same space since it was only three day's worth.

1) What about referring to them by PI, like Garcia Lab, Jones Lab, and Patel Lab? (This leaves the option of then referring to projects within a lab as Project 1, 2, etc.) If you aren't sorting them by lab, what are you doing? Sorting by topic, by dates, or what?

2) This is a curse you may have to bear.

I have them listed by dates. Do you think there will be any problem with this method?

If I listed them by individual PI/Lab, I they would have to take up 6-7 activity slots... :(

I have them listed by dates. Do you think there will be any problem with this method?

If I listed them by individual PI/Lab, I they would have to take up 6-7 activity slots... :(
Have you gone into the old AMCAS application and played around with it? Sometimes you are forced to fill in header information that might not be relevant to everything in the space (location, dates, contact, name of activity). Could be confusing. You may need to be very generic, eg, using the University as the location, dean of the college for a contact (then the real info in the space), name of activity as "Researcher", rather than "Research into XXXXX", etc.

For shadowing, if you shadowed multiple doctors, do you list each doctor as a several activity; or do you just do one Physician Shadowing listing and then in the text explain it was 3 doctors and list the hours shadowed for each?

Also, do you have a ranking/tier system for what to list something as if it's more than one thing? Catalystik you've worked with me a lot in my other thread so I'll be specific with this one. So I volunteer at the Salvation Army doing science education with a group of 3-5th graders. Me and another girl started the program and run it; creating weekly activities, budgeting our resources, teaching the kids, etc... So, what would I list this under? Leadership? Teaching/tutoring? Non-med. volunteering?

1) For shadowing, if you shadowed multiple doctors, do you list each doctor as a several activity; or do you just do one Physician Shadowing listing and then in the text explain it was 3 doctors and list the hours shadowed for each?

2) Also, do you have a ranking/tier system for what to list something as if it's more than one thing? Catalystik you've worked with me a lot in my other thread so I'll be specific with this one. So I volunteer at the Salvation Army doing science education with a group of 3-5th graders. Me and another girl started the program and run it; creating weekly activities, budgeting our resources, teaching the kids, etc... So, what would I list this under? Leadership? Teaching/tutoring? Non-med. volunteering?
1) Most list all their physician shadowing in a single space. In the free-text space for each, put name, specialty, date span and total hours. At the bottom of the box, give a grand total for hours. Explanation isn't neceassary, but if something really special happened, you can mention it briefly. If you want to make a statement of what you gained from the overall experience, you may.

2) Choose the designation that gives the most balance to your application. For example: I'd probably list it as Teaching if I had nothing else in this category, making the Community Service-not Medical and directorship clear in the description and/or name you choose for the activity.

Since my experience with other doctors was as an indirect observer during my time as an ER scribe, I dont know the names of all the different doctors that came through the hospital for consults/treatments with patients. How would I go about listing that information when I put in my shadowing experience if I only know of their specialties?

Since my experience with other doctors was as an indirect observer during my time as an ER scribe, I dont know the names of all the different doctors that came through the hospital for consults/treatments with patients. How would I go about listing that information when I put in my shadowing experience if I only know of their specialties?
Then just give a summary of the experiences, naming specialties, and their context, in a paragraph after you list more formal shadowing.

What would be the best way to list an internship done for academic credit? It's not really paid employment, but it's also not really volunteering.

Hello all,

If there is an activity which you will continue to do for your upcoming year, but will have a new title (ie Lead TA), is it acceptable to mention it if you've begun the work necessary for the position? I understand that I should not talk about what I will be doing in that role as a main portion of my EC description, but is it okay to mention it, but not elaborate? For example:

Course Tutor for Chemistry
-Taught students etc etc
-Met with faculty to discuss etc etc
-Coordinated with fellow students to etc etc
-Will be Lead Tutor of all sessions next year

Thank you!

2-part Question: I have two poster presentations, one of which was presented on campus for an undergrad research symposium- Does this even count as a legit poster presentation? The other one was presented at a national conference that I couldn't physically attend, but my professor presented it on my behalf. That still counts, right? Thanks!!

2-part Question: I have two poster presentations, one of which was presented on campus for an undergrad research symposium- Does this even count as a legit poster presentation? The other one was presented at a national conference that I couldn't physically attend, but my professor presented it on my behalf. That still counts, right? Thanks!!

Both would count. Describe them accordingly to ensure transparency.

I think it would be preferred if you mention the campus presentation at the end of the Research entry, rather than using another spot, especially if you can use the space for another activity. It is legitimate, but by far the weaker of the two experiences, particularly in th eyes of a strong research school.

If you are an author on the national conference poster, you should list it, being sure to give credit to the actual presenter in the narrative.

If these two presentations were actually from the same project, then I'd put mention of the campus presentation at the end of the Presentation/Poster entry for the national conference (mentioning the location, name of conference, date, and that you were present, as you would were it listed in the Research entry).

JMO.

If there is an activity which you will continue to do for your upcoming year, but will have a new title (ie Lead TA), is it acceptable to mention it if you've begun the work necessary for the position? I understand that I should not talk about what I will be doing in that role as a main portion of my EC description, but is it okay to mention it, but not elaborate? For example:

Course Tutor for Chemistry
-Taught students etc etc
-Met with faculty to discuss etc etc
-Coordinated with fellow students to etc etc
-Will be Lead Tutor of all sessions next year
Yes, but I'd word it differently, like: Appointed to be Lead Tutor for 2011-2012 academic year. (This says what has already happened. Who knows if you'll actually complete the suggested activity.)

As part of my undergrad graduation requirement I had to do a thesis project. It was essentially about the usefulness of predictive maintenance for large capital equipment (think, vibration monitors for 1000-hp motors) and the business case for adoption of the technologies in one particular company. The output was a confidential 80-page report and an addition to the company's build specifications for future equipment purchases.

Is this research? I honestly have no idea what "research" means in the med school application frame of reference.

Then just give a summary of the experiences, naming specialties, and their context, in a paragraph after you list more formal shadowing.

So should I have formal shadowing to list? Would it be in my best interest to do so despite the experience in the ER? I almost feel as if doing so is just going to pad my list instead of being as meaningful as the past experiences were.

So should I have formal shadowing to list? Would it be in my best interest to do so despite the experience in the ER? I almost feel as if doing so is just going to pad my list instead of being as meaningful as the past experiences were.
As I mentioned elsewhere, since you don't have office-based primary care docs among those shadowed, I do think you need to get some formally, but that is just my opinion. Might you be fine without it? Sure.

As part of my undergrad graduation requirement I had to do a thesis project. It was essentially about the usefulness of predictive maintenance for large capital equipment (think, vibration monitors for 1000-hp motors) and the business case for adoption of the technologies in one particular company. The output was a confidential 80-page report and an addition to the company's build specifications for future equipment purchases.

Is this research? I honestly have no idea what "research" means in the med school application frame of reference.
Did you form a hypothesis, design a study to test it, collect data, and come to a conclusion? Then maybe it's research. It sounds more like a special project, which still has a place on an application, but listed under the "Other" category with a similar detailed description.

As I mentioned elsewhere, since you don't have office-based primary care docs among those shadowed, I do think you need to get some formally, but that is just my opinion. Might you be fine without it? Sure.

By office-based primary care, do you mean family medicine/internal medicine only? What if you shadow an endocrinologist or someone along those lines?

Did you form a hypothesis, design a study to test it, collect data, and come to a conclusion? Then maybe it's research. It sounds more like a special project, which still has a place on an application, but listed under the "Other" category with a similar detailed description.
I think you're right, "special project" sounds more correct. It doesn't feel like research to me but I wasn't sure how else to list it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.