Tips for getting accepted and maintaining a good grade in Medical school? :) Ty

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frozenrice101

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody, 🙂

I'm in grade 11 high school at the moment, but I want to maximize my chance, and prepare well a head into becoming a doctor! Below, I have some questions (short-questions), that I would be really grateful if you could answer for me!

–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂
 
Hi everybody, 🙂

I'm in grade 11 high school at the moment, but I want to maximize my chance, and prepare well a head into becoming a doctor! Below, I have some questions (short-questions), that I would be really grateful if you could answer for me!

–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂

Get into college first before worrying about med school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody, 🙂

I'm in grade 11 high school at the moment, but I want to maximize my chance, and prepare well a head into becoming a doctor! Below, I have some questions (short-questions), that I would be really grateful if you could answer for me!

–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂



WTF.... Graduate HS first, dude. I might also suggest paying close attention in your English class this semester. It's great to think about your future occasionally but at least live in the present and enjoy it!
 
Hi everybody, 🙂

I'm in grade 11 high school at the moment, but I want to maximize my chance, and prepare well a head into becoming a doctor! Below, I have some questions (short-questions), that I would be really grateful if you could answer for me!

–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂

If you're still in high school, then you shouldn't be worried about getting into medical school yet (unless you plan to apply to a combined program). You will learn study habits in college that will hopefully help you in medical school, though you may have to tweak certain aspects of your routine to fit with the med school curriculum.

Is English your first language?
 
Hi everybody, 🙂

I'm in grade 11 high school at the moment, but I want to maximize my chance, and prepare well a head into becoming a doctor! Below, I have some questions (short-questions), that I would be really grateful if you could answer for me!

What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂

1.) Everyone's studying method is extremely different. Some people can take 20+ credits and breeze right through without even studying that much or cram before a test. Some people prefer flash cards. You will eventually realize what is best for you once you get into school. I didn't know how to study at first, I tried flash cards - I couldn't stand them. I became the type of person who realized which information to study for which minimalizes the amount of information and studying time considering I was one of those people taking 18-20+ credits a semester. Again, you will figure out your own study habit. The best advice is time management. If things get hectic do not breakdown and stress because that will bring you down in all your classes.

2.) Studying habits may change or may stay the same. Again everyone is different. But, one thing is true. There is a lot more information to cover in a short amount of time in medical school then there is during undergrad. Undergrad is a piece of cake.

3.) Clinical and nonclinical experience is a requirement to enter medical school and these are good to be done during your first years of undergrad simply because the first two years of undergrad consist of the easier classes, once you hit your third year or junior year you start to take upper-level classes. Again, volunteer work in hospitals, clinics, shelters help. Having leadership roles in organizations, volunteering abroad, work experience all help. These are all needed in order to become a well-rounded person. The question you want to ask yourself is what do I need to do to set myself apart from everyone else applying? Everyone is going to have clinical and non-clinical experience etc, but try to delve into things that are not as common, maybe volunteer or take part in some government office at the local level, that may be non-clinical, but it's an experience that sticks out. That is a simple example, and yes these all help in applying to medical school because when you sit down for an interview they will ask about you and you talk about how all these different experiences helped you choose the field of medicine.

4.) Well first you need to understand that there are two types of physicians M.D and D.O. Both are medical doctors that have all the same opportunities in terms of what specialty they want to get into. The only downside is that D.Os have a history of mainly specializing in primary care, but don't let this be a deterring factor because they also place many now and days in competitive specialties. Osteopathic schools (D.O) tend to accept people with lower on average GPA and MCAT scores which definitely helps. Again, I repeat there is no difference in the two. M.D medical schools have more of a name to their school and tend to come with more prestige, but that does not apply to all of course. At the end of the day medicine is a field where prestige shouldn't matter unless you plan on doing research or the related simply because if you save someones life hypothetically the family could care less if you came from Harvard or from Des Moines etc. So realize there are two types of physicians.

To become a physician or more importantly what qualifies someone to become a physician is simple. Strength and determination. Money should never be a factor when choosing medicine simply because there are easier and faster ways to make money. The field of medicine is a unique field in regards to treating the sick and wounded with money not being a factor. It's a field that offers a wide range of possibilities to treat communities etc. But, more importantly what you need to do is sit down and ask yourself why you want to pursue this field. It's easier said than done. So really sit down and think about it and don't talk about the cliche "I want to help people." That won't fly when your sat down for an interview with a medical school. You have a lot of time to figure that out. I suggest during the years to come for you to acknowledge differences and cultures, understand people more thoroughly. Everyone has there own reasons and there own views in regards to what qualifies someone to be a physician not an "M.D." You mean M.D or D.O.

Also, don't do the military HPSP if your just thinking about money. Search in the military medicine thread. There is a thread that fully discloses the HPSP. There are other programs as well, but it's not as easy as you think. You may have to pay back as a GMO (General medical officer) - which means you haven't even specialized yet - meaning you could be spending 3 or 4 years as a medical graduated not a doctor per se. You might not get civilian deferments, and if doing a military residency you may pay back more time. Significant salary cuts, but have to consider free health insurance, no debt, free housing/food etc and I did mention money shouldn't be an issue which in this case that factor might not even be a deterring factor which is good. There are any other factors etc. Look more into it, also a nurse with a higher rank could potentially be your boss. It might not boast well as a physician knowing more etc. The environment you'l have to live in. The cons tend to outweigh the pros, but if you realize all of it then go for it. But, again don't do it just because of money, it will change your future plans for sure.
 
–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂

I am going to assume this is not a troll post and that you're honestly looking for feedback. While I admire your ambition, I agree with Agent B. Focus on your last year of high school and then focus on doing well in college. Your study method in college will depend on the class you are taking - some courses it's better to take notes, others, its better to draw, explain out loud, etc. I think that's really all the advice you need at this point.
 
Hi everybody, 🙂



–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?


—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?


–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?


Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?



I was hoping to use the military HSPS for my medical route. The reason behind this is because of the "government pay-off student loan". I also want to study medicine to help other, but mostly I want to feel pride in what I do everyday – not trying to slam the civilian doctor in any way though! I would just feel more accomplish, and happy if I was to be able to give medical assistance to those who are of less fortunate.

Thank you for reading!

🙂

1. Yes I take notes, doesn't everyone? I don't use flash cards.

2. I'm in a direct medical school program so I can't really comment on this.

3. Yes. I did volunteer work in hospital and a co-op studentship in the critical care unit (this was very useful for me in confirming my career choice). It helped me get in as well because it showed I had spent time looking into my career choice and volunteering demonstrates that you are at least "slightly" empathetic.*

4. Intelligent, personable, hardworking, dedicated, likes science, empathetic in no particular order

I wouldn't dwell on what other people have said. Theres nothing wrong with thinking about your future. The last person that should be giving advice on enjoying your life is a medical student lol😛. Just because OP made one post on his future career, doesn't mean he/she's isn't enjoying life or thinks about medicine 24/7.
 
–What was your Studying Method like?
Did you take notes, use flash cards, or any other studying tools?

—Were you force to change your Pre. Med studying habits to keep up with Medical school difficulty? What were the changed in your studying habit?

–Were you in any volunteer work during High School, or Pre.Med? If "yes", then did this help you get into Medical school?

Last question - bare with me 🙂
—What do you think qualify a person to make it as an M.D?

1. I flashcarded my way through college and am flashcarding even in med school now. Granted, some things are harder to flashcard than others, and I've begun to learn the difference between "memorize" and "understand" but what works works, and flashcards work for me (moved from using index cards to Anki). But I also write out a lot of stuff. If I feel like the information is too overwhelming, I write it out and try to piece things together and try to see the whole picture. My whiteboard is my best friend! I'm not one of those people that can just read something over and over and then remember it. I use the flashcards to test myself (and as a method to go through the notes). I try to make sure everything makes logical sense. I've started to include "previewing" in my studying - I read through the next's day lecture notes the night before so I have an idea of what's going on. It's improved what I get out of class a lot.

2. I procrastinated a lot in college, and it was easy enough that I could get away with cramming one or two days before the test, but that doesn't work in med school. I don't think I've necessarily changed how I study but more that I now just study a LOT more.

3. High school stuff didn't mean much for getting into med school. I was involved in tutoring and hospice volunteering during college. It helped me learn a lot, and I got some valuable experiences that I was able to talk about, so yes, I do think it helped me get into med school (But your MCAT and GPA are much more important).

4. There are many things, but one thing is discipline. If there's one thing you have to learn the moment you get to med school, it's discipline. Med school is hard - the subjects are sometimes difficult to understand. But the harder part is the amount of information that's shoved at you in a short period of time. You'll never really know what it feels like until you're here, but getting through med school requires discipline. And a good attitude! Don't complain - med school is hard, but you signed up for it. You knew that going in. So enjoy it! Hopefully you'll like what you're learning (if not, I'm not sure if you should've been in med school). I don't find studying nearly as tedious because I find it so fascinating. The body is truly amazing, and it's mind blowing how much of a well-oiled machine it is - and even more mind blowing when you realize how many things can actually go wrong.

Good luck! You have a long way to go. Enjoy the time you have until then, but do keep up with your studies.