Tips for preparing to start a residency? (pathology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateyoho

Mizzou c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Apologies in advance if this is weirdly specific.

I'm graduating from vet school this May and starting an anatomic pathology residency in July. I was hoping to get some recommendations from any other pathology folks on here for resources that would be useful for me to look over during the summer prior to starting my residency. (Or any other tips for things to do that make starting a residency a little bit easier!)

I already review the JPC's Wednesday Slide Conference every week and attend the histopath and gross path rounds held at my CVM, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific textbook or journal from the reading list that would be particularly helpful to get a head start on. Would love to hear advice from people who wish they'd done something different before starting their residency.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I vote enjoy your freedom while it lasts, if possible! I imagine if your program needs you to read stuff ahead of time they’ll tell you? My clin path residency told me which two books to read before the first week, anyway. WTF will probably be by with more specific recommendations for anatomic path soon.

Reactions: 1 users
@pirateyoho First of, all, congrats on joining the dark side! ;)

Jubb and Kennedy is going to be your Bible for the next few years ;)

I wouldn't read toooooo much to prepare, as they will have all of these volumes for you. Like Jayna said, enjoy your time off.

If you want, check out CL Davis, especially their Youtube series on gross lesions, narrated by the fantabulous Bruce Williams. He even does mini gross quizzes with fantastic explanations. C.L. Davis and S.W. Thompson Foundation

I have a ton of board prep resources that the residents in my program put together and have edited/updated, and I'd be happy to share. Might be a bit much for you right now, but good to have for the future. Where will you be headed? Feel free to PM me to chat :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am going to apply for a Cl Path residency this September, but I don't have much experience, just a rotatory internship in many areas of veterinary such as Clinical and Anatomical Path, Poultry med, Small and large animal Med and surgery and etc.
However, I have 2 publications and have participated in a few congresses. Along with them, I am well-familiar with Microbiology and Histology laboratory technics. So, do you think that I have a chance to be accepted?

Hi,
I am going to apply for a Cl Path residency this September, but I don't have much experience, just a rotatory internship in many areas of veterinary such as Clinical and Anatomical Path, Poultry med, Small and large animal Med and surgery and etc.
However, I have 2 publications and have participated in a few congresses. Along with them, I am well-familiar with Microbiology and Histology laboratory technics. So, do you think that I have a chance to be accepted?
This may seem blunt, but if you don't have experience in clinical pathology, getting a position is probably a long shot. A demonstrated interest in pathology and a positive letter of recommendation from a clinical pathologist are crucial, so if your only experience is what amounts to a clinical year in the US, it will be an uphill battle for sure. I'm not saying it is impossible since different programs look for different things, but you will be up against applicants with extra shadowing or work experience in pathology who have shown an interest for several years. Publications are great, but they won't make up for a lack of experience/interest, especially if they are not pathology-focused papers. Why do you want to do clin path? That will be an important question to answer (and answer well) in your application materials, especially if you have minimal experience. From a quick look at your post history, you had previous plans for Diagnostic Imaging, Anesthesia, or even Radiation Oncology. Those things are very different from pathology. I would strongly encourage you to find a pathologist to spend time with so that you can see what daily life is like in this role and gain some experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I'm about to start a clinical pathology residency at the end of the summer, so I appreciate you starting this thread!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stay involved with clinical practice. My contract prohibits me from getting a job practicing outside of my training, but allows volunteering as time permits. My dream career is clinical pathology, but I'd really love to stay involved with shelter medicine. However, as a new grad to-be I'm not 100% confident as a clinician. Does anyone know if it is even possible to be a volunteer veterinarian and receive mentorship? If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear how you got started. Thanks!

Hey there! I'm about to start a clinical pathology residency at the end of the summer, so I appreciate you starting this thread!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stay involved with clinical practice. My contract prohibits me from getting a job practicing outside of my training, but allows volunteering as time permits. My dream career is clinical pathology, but I'd really love to stay involved with shelter medicine. However, as a new grad to-be I'm not 100% confident as a clinician. Does anyone know if it is even possible to be a volunteer veterinarian and receive mentorship? If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear how you got started. Thanks!
Random but my co-resident and I volunteered at a cat spay-neuter clinic in town. It was great because we got to give back to the community but there were also other vets there who were like "oh you haven't done a spay in over a year? come watch me do one and then I'll watch you do yours and then we can all eat donuts and pizza together afterwards." So maybe finding something like that? Not super helpful but that's my n=1 experience.

Reactions: 1 users