Tips on describing skin lesions for non-derm oriented docs

Started by Ezekiel20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,


I am a final year med student in Australia, and I have little interest in a derm career.

Despite the lectures on dermatology, I have not had much chance to become comfortable describing lesions (eg when requesting derm consults for patients).


If I was to describe a lesion i would probably state the following:
- colour
- size
- raised/flat
- border regularity
- border well demarcated or not


But can anyone suggest a well-structured framework to keep in mind before describing a lesion? It would be even better if there was a mnemonic, so that when I do have to describe a lesion every 3 months I can still remember the format.


Thanks in advance... 🙂
 
I don't know if this well help but here is an attempt. I'm from the LBC the home of snoop dizzle and the long beach insane crip gang so South Side Crips Takes All Dummies.

South= Size measure it.
Side= Shape ie papule, macule, nodule, patch, plaque, coast of maine etc.
Crips= Color
Takes= Type primary, secondary ie crust, ulcer, scale, fissure etc.
All= Arrangement grouped, linear, annular, etc/
Dummies= Distribution truncal, generalized, dermatomal, etc.