tips on how to do the sentence completion?

Started by sunshao
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunshao

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In verbal section, I have trouble finding the right answer for the sentence completion. I can do the analogies fine. Any tips?
 
I have the Kaplan study guide, and I found that they had a good section on how to approach the sentence completion problems. What words to look for, and how they can help point you in the right direction to find the answer. I would check that out if you can.
 
I believe Kaplan said "look for a word before or after the blank, determine if it's positive or negative(ex. if the word "despite" was before or after a blank, the word in the blank would be a word that has a negative meaning).
 
Yup, I totally agree with what's been said. Look for important clues like 'except', 'although', 'however', etc. My method is to come up with my own word in the blank then look for the answer choice that matches the closest. There are also some choices that simply do not make sense and you can do process of elimination.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is time usually an issue for you all on Verbal?
I think it's different depending on everyone's strengths and weaknesses. I've been able to finish the verbal on practice tests within 15 minutes easy and RC within 25 minutes, but when it comes to chemistry it's like half the time is up and I'm on question 10.
 
Honestly, it's hard to study for verbal sentence completion. The best way to do it is to read the sentence and fill in a word that you think fits, and then look for something similar in the answers.