Tips on Reading Comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmGurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when I took the PCAT, I scored a 19 on the reading section....:confused:

I have been living here my whole life, so I really don't know how to explain such score. Maybe it's because I honestly do not read much...if not at all... So for those of you who aren't big readers, how did you guys prepare for this section? I really need to improve my reading score because according to the PCAT, I'm stupid, I'm useless, I can't do anything right....oh and Also, according to the PCAT, I am illiterate... :(

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So when I took the PCAT, I scored a 19 on the reading section....:confused:

I have been living here my whole life, so I really don't know how to explain such score. Maybe it's because I honestly do not read much...if not at all... So for those of you who aren't big readers, how did you guys prepare for this section? I really need to improve my reading score because according to the PCAT, I'm stupid, I'm useless, I can't do anything right....oh and Also, according to the PCAT, I am illiterate... :(

Thanks

Am in the same boat, I don't read at all and I've lived here most of my life. I don't think there are any tricks, just read it like someone was telling you an interesting story. Pay attention for the main points. If you want to practice you can get Examkrackers 101 passages, which has plenty of exercises.

Yeah, I think the reading section is more about test taking skills moer than testing your general knowledge. Remember where important points are at in the passage so you can quickly turn back to them to answer questions. There are usually 2 or 3 good looking answers, but you have to choose the best one (hate those questions but you have to deal with it).

Hey! I read ALL the time and I got a 50 in reading back in 2008. I'm taking PCAT on Saturday and hopefully I do better this time...but I was also shocked at my low score. It's hard to do well in reading since many people do well. I've read tips such as try to answer the question before reading the options (so you don't get tricked), read like you are interested, try to understand the main point of the article and what the author is trying to convey...and what the author's opinion may be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try a speed reading book, look around at different ones they usually give you tips on how to read faster and comprehension. Most also have tons of practice passages