Tips or tricks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RdRaider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, today I was accepted to Texas Tech University as a Pre-Pharmacy major. Do you guys have any tips you could give a noob?

Also, what is with that NoSpam question. I got it right right and it lied to me! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to say study hard and try not to get into the habit of cramming, but since that probably isn't going to happen (from my own experience), just learn to budget your time wisely.

Yeah, I agree with the person above. As long as you study you will be fine. I make better grades in college than I did in high school. You just have to actually "give a damn" about what you are doing. Tips.
1.Study
2.Don't be addicted to Computer games (CS,WOW,....)
3.Don't get drunk every night

You will be fine as long as you stay motivated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with the person above. As long as you study you will be fine. I make better grades in college than I did in high school. You just have to actually "give a damn" about what you are doing. Tips.
1.Study
2.Don't be addicted to Computer games (CS,WOW,....)
3.Don't get drunk every night

You will be fine as long as you stay motivated.

Haha, alright cool. Sounds kind of easy, I have been getting bored of Call of Duty 4 lately soo.

Any help on what classes I should take first? I hate math, but I only need 3 hours of Calculus and 3 hours of Stats.

get a good pre-pharm advisor, mine sucked for the most part. Also, don't screw your GPA up early b/c its really hard to recover.

Haha, alright cool. Sounds kind of easy, I have been getting bored of Call of Duty 4 lately soo.

Any help on what classes I should take first? I hate math, but I only need 3 hours of Calculus and 3 hours of Stats.

Yeah, those Martyrdom tactics eventually start to tick you off. I'm probably gonna get addicted to GTA IV when it comes via Gamefly to my house.

For Pre-Pharmacy 1st semester, if you do not have credits coming in, I would recommend something like this..
1. Chem I
2. Bio I
3. PreCalc or Calc (whatever you are ready for)
4. GenEd. Pysch/History
This would give you 15 hours which is a good numberfor your first semester. I would not listen to others that tell you to take 19 your first semester coming in.

Or, this:

General Chem I 4
History I 3
English Comp I 3
Precalc or Calc 4
Economics/Intro to Psych/etc 3

That is 17 credits, and since it is mostly liberal arts stuff, it is not that hard to pull off.

I would probably hold off the General Bio classes for the summer.

Yeah, from my experience, as far as credit hours go, I would definitely recommend not putting on too big of a load your first semester. try to ease in to it if you have the time. when it comes down to it, pharmacy schools give a much higher weight to your GPA than to how many credits you took a semester. I never took more than 14 credits a semester (but I took a lot of summer classes, which worked well for me, and was another way of showing dedication on my transcripts), and I got accepted to all 3 schools that I interviewed for.

Another few things that have worked for me, that might seem obvious, but still: going to lecture, reading the textbook (i usually could never keep up with the reading, and would end up cramming a lot of the reading a few days before an exam. not the best way to retain information, but it definitely helped me study for the moment), and going to office hours every now and then to talk to my prof. on concepts i don't fully understand.

i'm not familiar at all with your university, but you might want to look into any additional academic resources you might have available, such as facilitation sessions or co-seminars for classes like calc, biology, chemistry, etc. that give you some more support and structured study time for those subjects. i took a few of those my first year in college, and they really helped me manage my time better. skim through any "student guide" stuff you've gotten from the uni, or go on to their website, and check out what tools you have at your disposal. you're already paying for them with your student fees, so you might as well take advantage of them if you can.

Wow, thanks guys! This thread has definitley answered most of the questions I've had. nice write up ohfear, I was kinda sweating out having to do 18+ hours a semester. Didnt think pharmacy schools took cc classes seriously!

Could I take pre-cal as my calculus hours, or would that be a pre-req only?

One weird thing though, my major is a pre-pharm, but my degree is a bachelor of arts for some reason.

Could I take pre-cal as my calculus hours, or would that be a pre-req only?

I'm pretty sure pre-calc won't fulfill the calculus hours that are required by most (all?) pharmacy programs. that's definitely a question you should ask your academic adviser, and/or the school of pharmacy you plan on applying to.

Or, this:

General Chem I 4
History I 3
English Comp I 3
Precalc or Calc 4
Economics/Intro to Psych/etc 3

That is 17 credits, and since it is mostly liberal arts stuff, it is not that hard to pull off.

I would probably hold off the General Bio classes for the summer.

that is what i did (17credits) :) it was doable if you do what you're supposed to do.
things can go easier if u do on time and avoid cramming
just try ur best;)

I will probably just take all my math classes(Stats, Calc, and Pre-Cal) at a CC. Maybe my first Biology class too. The professor I will be forced to take has a 30% drop out rate.

Not sure if our requirements are the same, but this is what I have to take in my first two years. Probably going to head more towards what Sparta posted though.

General chemistry, for majors w/lab: 8-10
Organic chemistry, w/lab: 8-10
General physics, w/lab (calc or non-calc based): 4
General biology, for majors w/lab: 8
Microbiology, w/lab: 4
Calculus: 3-4
Statistics: 3
English comp I: 3
English comp II: 3
English literature: 3
Speech (public speaking): 3
Economics (macro preferred): 3
Humanities/social sciences min: 15

I was going to say study hard and try not to get into the habit of cramming, but since that probably isn't going to happen (from my own experience), just learn to budget your time wisely.

Yup, me too I'll study and do my best! I hope sooner or later I'll be one of the best in the field!:rolleyes:

I will probably just take all my math classes(Stats, Calc, and Pre-Cal) at a CC. Maybe my first Biology class too. The professor I will be forced to take has a 30% drop out rate.

Not sure if our requirements are the same, but this is what I have to take in my first two years. Probably going to head more towards what Sparta posted though.

General chemistry, for majors w/lab: 8-10
Organic chemistry, w/lab: 8-10
General physics, w/lab (calc or non-calc based): 4
General biology, for majors w/lab: 8
Microbiology, w/lab: 4
Calculus: 3-4
Statistics: 3
English comp I: 3
English comp II: 3
English literature: 3
Speech (public speaking): 3
Economics (macro preferred): 3
Humanities/social sciences min: 15

What is up with that macro requirement? :confused::confused::confused: I understand the rest of the requirements, but knowing what real GDP is and what the FOMC does, how does that help?

But seriously, I've been accepted at Tech and I've been a part time student for the last two years. But, I did work 40 hours/week. I also had a degree that I earned in 2000 that covered everything but the chemistry and science prereqs, speech, and that stupid macro class.

Take a comfortable class load in the first semester. You don't want the first thing you do to be shoot yourself in the foot and then have to try to recover from it.

If you're not comfortable with math, you might try to access how your algebra skills are before jumping into calculus. IMO, a lot of people have trouble in calculus because their algebra skills just aren't up to it. Pre-calc is not going to count for the prereq you need, but it may help you do better in the calc when you take it, and ultimately calc will be the one that counts.

I agree! GDP - blah! I'm so ready for this semester of macro to be over with!:thumbdown:

The best advice I could possibly give anyone just starting college is do everything early and repitition is your best friend! You may not feel like studying 2 weeks before an exam, but trust me, you'll make it easiest on yourself if you do like an hour or 2 every single day studying or reading and go over things numerous times. This way, you're not trying to cram in a day or two. Just set up a routine...like me, I try to study say 7-9 Mon-Thurs and then an additional 3 or 4 hours Saturdays and a couple more Sundays. Obviously, this is just a start, if I need more, I do more. If you just get into a set schedule, things will be much easier.

Summer School:
- Biology 1 w/ lab
- Speech

First semester:
- General Chem I
- History I
- English Comp I
- Macroeconomics
- Intro to Psych

This look pretty decent for starting everything up? I will get my math classes started on my second semester and finished during the Summer.

The others have given some really good advise but I just want to reiterate the "know your ability" thing. There seems to be a tendency with a lot of people to overload themselves with their first semester. Um, I did it... I'll get to that in a moment though. It's your first year, if you haven't taken any college classes before then the likelihood is that you don't know what it's going to be like. What happened with me was that I started off real excited and had a full load. What I didn't realize was that some medical issues were brewing and by the time I knew what was happening I'd crashed and burned and failed 12 credit hours and dropped 11 more. This was over the span of 2 semesters. I'm telling you this because if I had been more in tune with not only the level I was at (where I should realistically start) but also what was happening in my life, I wouldn't be stuck in this spot I am now. I worry about this all the time, how to overcome 12 hours of "F's". Even if I work my *** off for the next 120 credits I'll still only come across the 3.0 mark. :( Thinking back I really should have seen what was happening and taken a medical leave of absence but hindsight is 20/20 then isn't it?

Point is that you need to sit down with a good advisor and think really hard on what you can handle. Don't overload yourself. It's better to do a gentle start and then take off running. Don't take off running and then crash. Good luck! :D