tired in clinic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnabeadentist1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty exhausted during my first two years of dental school...and now in third year, I'm treating patients. Due to some unforseen circumstances for the foreseeable future, I'll have to cope with not getting enough rest for the next little while. So some questions:

1) how have some of you dealt with being tired in clinic? It's one thing to be tired in class, but another to be tired when working on patients...

2) maybe fatigue is more manageable in clinic, and not sitting and listening in a lecture? Or do you find that you actually do forget things, or are slow, or don't work efficiently?

3) More importantly, has anyone ever made mistakes on patients b/c they were tired?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This will happen when you are starting clinic. You will build up stamina. Don't worry.
To make things a little easier, kind of plan what you need to have for your appt. Set your stuff up early, watch youtube videos if ur school didn't teach u well (like mine).
Get some snacks to chow down if you need an energy burst during clinic.
Don't think you will make mistakes due to fatigue. More likely to make mistakes due to harassing or intimidation from faculty or patient being unreasonable.

Since i'm just starting in the clinic, I'm guessing most of my mistakes will come from lack of experience, or not yet being able to readily convert knowledge into actual hand work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a covfefe drinker?

Exercising has helped me. I feel like I have more energy, but it might be just mental. I normally get around 6 hours of sleep and my body is just used to it I guess? I do drink coffee. And I do like energy drinks for the taste.

Some kale, a banana , some strawberries, a scoop of wheat grass, 2 tea spoons of fish oil and a pill or two of vitamin D into a blender.

The reality is, that many people think that the practice of dentistry is an "easy" job. In a active muscle motion sense of things, yes, we're not lifting heavy objects all day long and rarely have our heart rates increase more than a few beats per minute.

That being said, dentistry is an exhausting job, as you have to be mentally focused and tuned in the entire time. That does fatigue one for sure.

One of the best ways to help ensure energy levels remain high during the treatment day, is #1 stick to the same basic sleep schedule (wake up time and bed time) as much as possible, 7 days a week. #2 realize the effects that spikes and dips in your blood sugar levels can have on your energy levels and figure out a plan that works for your body. #3 make sure to take some time at the end of each treatment day, and mentally relax for a few minutes. While not the end all be all for everyone, those are tips that you hear repeated by many long time practicing clinicians and also dental practice and productivity consultants....

Are you a covfefe drinker?

Exercising has helped me. I feel like I have more energy, but it might be just mental. I normally get around 6 hours of sleep and my body is just used to it I guess? I do drink coffee. And I do like energy drinks for the taste.

caffeine tremors aren't a problem?