Title yourself as Orthoped?

Started by zonee2k
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zonee2k

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, been browsing this forum for a while, finally got myself to register.

My long-term goal since I started studying was to become specialized in the orthopedic field. One thing that just has been running on my mind is what do you title yourself once you are educated as such?

Are the 'real' orthopedics the surgeons, and should one call himself Orthopedic Therapist?
Would it be frauding calling yourself an Orthopedic? Or is going PT->Orth just a way of becoming it?

Just got inspired by the whole calling yourself "Doctor or not" debate going on here.

Cheers 😀
 
Hey, been browsing this forum for a while, finally got myself to register.

My long-term goal since I started studying was to become specialized in the orthopedic field. One thing that just has been running on my mind is what do you title yourself once you are educated as such?

Are the 'real' orthopedics the surgeons, and should one call himself Orthopedic Therapist?
Would it be frauding calling yourself an Orthopedic? Or is going PT->Orth just a way of becoming it?

Just got inspired by the whole calling yourself "Doctor or not" debate going on here.

Cheers 😀

Orthopedic Clinical Specialist, OCS.

PT's may pursue this designation through board certification after meeting specific requirements and passing a national examination.

Zonee2k, PT, DPT, OCS.

http://www.abpts.org/Certification/Orthopaedics/

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Last edited:
I've never heard of an orthopod being called an orthopedic (without a modifier such as surgeon) I have heard them being called orthopedist..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe it was just a slight misstatement by the OP.

It does sound rather fancy, who needs to be a 'Doctor' when you can be a Orthopedic Clinical Specialist? 😉

Yeah, I heard someone say it was slang commonly used for orthpedics but I guess not lol.
Thank you so much for the anwser!

Edit: Not sure how it is in the US (Swedish fella), but over here you don't need a DPT in order to advance to become a OCS. Rather its a Bach+MPT(or magister) then 2 years atleast of full-time work before you can start the actual advance as OCS, which takes 3 years too.
 
Last edited: