TLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatwhy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm a little confused about TLC. I understsand the polar and non-polar aspects of it and all that, but sometimes in questions they will only state that the stationary phase is polar, but never say anything about the mobile phase. So what if the stationary phase and mobile phase are both polar or non-polar? How should I answer if, for example, I'm asked whether a less polar or more polar substance will travel further up a polar TLC plate, but never given the polarity of the mobile phase?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So i'm a little confused about TLC. I understsand the polar and non-polar aspects of it and all that, but sometimes in questions they will only state that the stationary phase is polar, but never say anything about the mobile phase. So what if the stationary phase and mobile phase are both polar or non-polar? How should I answer if, for example, I'm asked whether a less polar or more polar substance will travel further up a polar TLC plate, but never given the polarity of the mobile phase?

The less polar substance will travel further. The polarity of the mobile phase is less than the polarity of the stationary phase. Generally, the mobile phase will exhibit low polarity.

Well, that was weird. Anyway, this is what I think.

The less polar substance will travel further. The polarity of the mobile phase is less than the polarity of the stationary phase. Generally, the mobile glass will exhibit low polarity.