TLC

Started by whatwhy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whatwhy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i'm a little confused about TLC. I understsand the polar and non-polar aspects of it and all that, but sometimes in questions they will only state that the stationary phase is polar, but never say anything about the mobile phase. So what if the stationary phase and mobile phase are both polar or non-polar? How should I answer if, for example, I'm asked whether a less polar or more polar substance will travel further up a polar TLC plate, but never given the polarity of the mobile phase?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Thanks.
 
So i'm a little confused about TLC. I understsand the polar and non-polar aspects of it and all that, but sometimes in questions they will only state that the stationary phase is polar, but never say anything about the mobile phase. So what if the stationary phase and mobile phase are both polar or non-polar? How should I answer if, for example, I'm asked whether a less polar or more polar substance will travel further up a polar TLC plate, but never given the polarity of the mobile phase?

The less polar substance will travel further. The polarity of the mobile phase is less than the polarity of the stationary phase. Generally, the mobile phase will exhibit low polarity.
 
Well, that was weird. Anyway, this is what I think.

The less polar substance will travel further. The polarity of the mobile phase is less than the polarity of the stationary phase. Generally, the mobile glass will exhibit low polarity.
 

Similar threads