TMDSAS Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRaider19

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've done some research on they weird character limits and what not, and was wondering if the information I got from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384480 was still current.
"Instead of giving you a strict character limit like AMCAS does, TMDSAS limits your personal statement to 62 lines with 80 characters per line. Another downside is that the text box on TMDSAS doesn't limit the length of the imputted lines to 80 characters but if you attempt to save a PS with lines longer than 80 characters, the excess characters will be cut off. This means that proofing your PS after entering it is absolutely essential to ensure that none of your PS has been lost.
"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that they're still implementing those PS guidelines. It really isn't something to worry about though. I recommend writing your PS on a word document first and then transferring it onto your TMDSAS app when you're done. Afterwards, you can edit your PS directly on the TMDSAS app and make any alterations without worrying about being over the limit or having sentences cut off.

Best Wishes! :luck:

I go to an OOS school that gives zero info about TMDSAS. At the time I wrote my PS, I was clueless that there was any difference between applications and wrote it according to AMCAS guidelines. It's right at ~5,000 characters, and it fit fine. Just write it, stick it into the app, and make sure it fits. If it doesn't, you can trim it down.

Have fun writing :D:luck:

Alright, so I've done some research on they weird character limits and what not, and was wondering if the information I got from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384480 was still current.
"Instead of giving you a strict character limit like AMCAS does, TMDSAS limits your personal statement to 62 lines with 80 characters per line. Another downside is that the text box on TMDSAS doesn't limit the length of the imputted lines to 80 characters but if you attempt to save a PS with lines longer than 80 characters, the excess characters will be cut off. This means that proofing your PS after entering it is absolutely essential to ensure that none of your PS has been lost.
"

I would highly advise researching for information from the source rather than internet forums. According to the TMDSAS website (and my experience with them):

The personal essay asks you to explain your motivation to seek a career in medicine. You are asked to discuss your philosophy of the medical profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession.

The essay is limited to 5000 characters, including spaces.

TMDSAS

It does however require proof reading and will tell you that in the application itself. I wrote mine in word and copy and pasted (like it says not to do) and never had a problem. Well, I think I had to trim off a sentence or two.