TMJ and getting wisdom teeth taken out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a pharmacy student but I had a question that maybe some of you can give me some input in.

Two of my bottom wisdom teeth are impacted and the top ones did come in straight, but the dentist recommends that I get them taken out anyway since they're hard to clean. The problem is that I also have TMJ, which makes it hard to open my mouth wide for long periods of time. Everyone says the way to go is get all 4 done at the same time while getting knocked out, but I don't want it to exacebate my TMJ. Sometimes when I'm even just having fillings done and have to keep my mouth open for long, it makes my TMJ worse for a couple weeks to about a month. Basically what I'm scared of is them opening my mouth funny when I'm under (like cracking my jaw bone or something) and not being able to open my mouth at all when I'm healed. Is this a legitimate concern? This is the only thing that has been holding me back from getting my wisdom teeth taken out.

Members don't see this ad.

TMJ = temporo-mandibular joint

TMD = temporo-mandibular disorder

TMJ is not the pain, it is the location ;) As for the concern of getting your jaw broken while getting your wisdome teeth out, I do believe it was on the release form I signed when I got mine out as something that could happen. However, I haven't heard of it happening (yet). I had all four of mine out while I was under and it wasn't that big of a deal, however I recently had jaw surgery where they broke it in three places and screwed/plated it back together and it hasn't been that bad either with the exception of the liquid diet.

How about consulting your dentist and/or oral surgeon since they can actually perform an examination? It's pretty hard to give dental advice over the internet and that's why this thread will be shut down as soon as one of the mods notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.