To a License CA OD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gentle_Touch

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a colleague has an OD (Foreign country from PI) was a non-US accredited school. Is there a chance the person can take the state board exam or something like to practice in CA? Or is more school required?

Thanks.
 
You'd have to contact the state board, but I believe you have to have a degree from a US accredited college of optometry before you can sit for the national and state boards.

Most countries OD degrees are no where near as medically intensive as US degrees.
 
Gentle_Touch said:
I have a colleague has an OD (Foreign country from PI) was a non-US accredited school. Is there a chance the person can take the state board exam or something like to practice in CA? Or is more school required?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, not. There has been on occasion that a foreign graduate can apply for advanced standing, but I believe that the most that will be given is a past for the first year. What country?