To accept or not accept, that is the question.

Started by lilystar
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lilystar

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All right, so here's the breakdown: I'm entering UF as an freshman in the fall, coming in with a high school GPA of 4.5 (weighted) and a 3.94 unweighted.
I have AP credits for European History, US History, English Lang, and Stats and SAT II credits for Spanish.
Assuming I make the qualifying scores this year during AP testing, I will also have credits for US Government, BC Calculus, English Lit, Chemistry, Macroeconomics and Environmental Science.
I know that med schools will usually not accept AP sciences at all, so I will have to retake chemistry regardless of the score. I will most definitely be using my history credits. My main question is with English and math.

I have never had a problem with English. Math, on the other hand....I made straight A's until I hit AP math. Granted, I had tough teachers, but I was still not content with A's and B's in AP stats (and a 4 on the exam) instead of A's, and I was most definitely NOT comfortable with making B's and C's in BC Calc, even though it was known school-wide as the toughest class available. Though obviously I don't know my score yet, I know for sure it wasn't a 5.

I know that every med school's policy is different. But in general, do you think it is a good idea to retake the math and take one semester of honors English?
Thanks.
 
Hmm, I didn't know you were aloud to retake AP exams. Personally I really wouldn't bother with it... you won't need up to BC calc in college anyway and it seems like you'll already have a really good basis for math as is. The only thing required is Calc I (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

I'm sure if they scale AP credits at your school you'll still have a 4.0+ GPA. I wouldn't stress about it too much, just make sure you're understanding the concepts and learning from your mistakes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad