to all IMGs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So many words, so few with meaning.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Doctor P,

I am an IMG, with a bad history. Scored flunked Step 2 once with 74 and cleared Step 1 with 75. I am in the US doing my MPH as everybody here from abroad does. Trying to take my Step 2 and get into a Surgical residency. I know that is too much to ask for, but I would still like to give it a try. I know that it is next to impossible but I will also apply to other programs if I have my steps clear. Do you think I stand a chance of matching into a program.

To add-on I have had a research experience from Johns Hopkins in the past. Worked in AIIMS India and had a few International Publications. Presently also working in Transplant Surgery here in the US doing research. Please tell me me if I stand a chance at all to match into a surgical program or should I think about leaving this field and see something that comes easy.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
f_w said:
So many words, so few with meaning.

okiee so can an IMG match into radiology...if u know..can u please specify what an IMG shud do before applying for rads residency...
thanks

> can u please specify what an IMG shud do before applying for
> rads residency...

publish
publish
do well on the boards
publish
get clinical experience
publish
be lucky

f_w said:
> rads residency...

publish
publish
do well on the boards
publish
get clinical experience
publish
be lucky

I can't believe you still have the guts to show your face on this thread. :laugh:

-Skip

f_w said:
> rads residency...

publish
publish
do well on the boards
publish
get clinical experience
publish
be lucky

what if the step scores are 240+..with no research and applying to last 100pgs in rankin...is there any chance..there must be some way for a pure IMG to get radiology..

Hysty said:
what if the step scores are 240+..with no research and applying to last 100pgs in rankin...is there any chance..there must be some way for a pure IMG to get radiology..

for some anecdotal evidence...i know of an IMG from a smaller carib school. he rocked the boards (250's i think) and matched into rads without a lot of problems. no research or anything like that. he was also one of the coolest guys i have met, and i can see how he matched...the tough part was getting the interviews, but once he did that he made it.

it is possible, and others have done it. but, it is not easy. you have to first give them a reason to interview you, and they at your interview show them how you are better than all the other US grads that want that spot.

> what if the step scores are 240+..with no research and applying to
> last 100pgs in rankin...is there any chance..there must be some way
> for a pure IMG to get radiology..

The only people deeply into the entire statistics game seem to be medical students.
Matching into rads these days is fairly competitive, although my impression is that it has reached some sort of a plateau this year. There were less of the '256+ AOA MIT undergrad' candidates coming through (just judging from the caliber of people I saw during the interviews, but that might just represent the personal preferences of my program director). And for a first time in years there have been more than 10 unmatched spots.

By no means should you limit yourself to programs based on any sort of ranking (most of these rankings are a pulled out of some medstudents behind anyway). Your scores are good enough to get through the 'filter' at many programs, and depending on your background or some personal preferences of the PD, you might end up getting an interview at a program that you thought to be outside of your reach (maybe the PD was a competitive curler in is youth or attended your grade school).

Just apply broadly to the programs you are interested in. Invest the extra couple of $100 to send out plenty of applications. Call for interviews, particularly late in the season like jan when many of the spoiled applicants start to cancel. But be mentally prepared not to match, have a backup plan, put in a year of IM or something (we had a DO who rotated with us a couple of years ago. He was very smart and qualified, but somehow he didn't match the first time around. After some calling around, he matched into a well known university program. Except for a second year in IM, he hasn't sustained any disadvantage from it.)

f_w said:
> what if the step scores are 240+..with no research and applying to
> last 100pgs in rankin...is there any chance..there must be some way
> for a pure IMG to get radiology..

The only people deeply into the entire statistics game seem to be medical students.
Matching into rads these days is fairly competitive, although my impression is that it has reached some sort of a plateau this year. There were less of the '256+ AOA MIT undergrad' candidates coming through (just judging from the caliber of people I saw during the interviews, but that might just represent the personal preferences of my program director). And for a first time in years there have been more than 10 unmatched spots.

By no means should you limit yourself to programs based on any sort of ranking (most of these rankings are a pulled out of some medstudents behind anyway). Your scores are good enough to get through the 'filter' at many programs, and depending on your background or some personal preferences of the PD, you might end up getting an interview at a program that you thought to be outside of your reach (maybe the PD was a competitive curler in is youth or attended your grade school).

Just apply broadly to the programs you are interested in. Invest the extra couple of $100 to send out plenty of applications. Call for interviews, particularly late in the season like jan when many of the spoiled applicants start to cancel. But be mentally prepared not to match, have a backup plan, put in a year of IM or something (we had a DO who rotated with us a couple of years ago. He was very smart and qualified, but somehow he didn't match the first time around. After some calling around, he matched into a well known university program. Except for a second year in IM, he hasn't sustained any disadvantage from it.)

thnks for helping me..i really needed some info very badly...well im thinking abt applying to as many radiology programs as i can and have IM as my backup..incase i dnt match into rads i shud get an IM spot and next yr i shud apply in rads again...
i hope thats what u were trying to recommend as well...

> i hope thats what u were trying to recommend as well...

Yep. This doesn't mean you should waste money on applying to MIR or UPenn, but don't go from the bottom up.
Apply to university programs, larger community programs smaller programs etc. Don't make the mistake of looking for a 'weak' program or think that one of the programs that didn't fill this year is a secure match for next year.

Doing IM as a backup will also give you the opportunity to slide into a position that opens up midyear due to funding issues or due to a resident leaving. It has been done before.
Just be careful not to give everybody in your IM residency the attitude 'oh, this is so below my expectations, I am just hanging out here until I find a rads spot'. If you work hard in IM and if your plans with rads don't work out, you can allways go for a cardiology fellowship. There are plenty of non-interventional cardiologists out there who do mostly ECHO and nuclear cardiology (and in the future cardiac CT and MRI).

Think about pathology as a backup. The work environment and the skill set are not so much different. Some of the old time rads put in a year of path to get a good grasp of disease processes and their anatomic consequences. It is my understanding that it is still not as competitive as rads/gas/em.

You said you are an IMG. Some people make these distinctions between: IMG (as in US citizen/PR who went abroad for his training) and FMG (as in foreign citizen who trained in his home country).
If you are one of the latter, you might want to think about getting into a radiology program in the country you did your training in. It helps.

f_w said:
> i hope thats what u were trying to recommend as well...

Yep. This doesn't mean you should waste money on applying to MIR or UPenn, but don't go from the bottom up.
Apply to university programs, larger community programs smaller programs etc. Don't make the mistake of looking for a 'weak' program or think that one of the programs that didn't fill this year is a secure match for next year.

Doing IM as a backup will also give you the opportunity to slide into a position that opens up midyear due to funding issues or due to a resident leaving. It has been done before.
Just be careful not to give everybody in your IM residency the attitude 'oh, this is so below my expectations, I am just hanging out here until I find a rads spot'. If you work hard in IM and if your plans with rads don't work out, you can allways go for a cardiology fellowship. There are plenty of non-interventional cardiologists out there who do mostly ECHO and nuclear cardiology (and in the future cardiac CT and MRI).

Think about pathology as a backup. The work environment and the skill set are not so much different. Some of the old time rads put in a year of path to get a good grasp of disease processes and their anatomic consequences. It is my understanding that it is still not as competitive as rads/gas/em.

You said you are an IMG. Some people make these distinctions between: IMG (as in US citizen/PR who went abroad for his training) and FMG (as in foreign citizen who trained in his home country).
If you are one of the latter, you might want to think about getting into a radiology program in the country you did your training in. It helps.

thanks alot...one shud atleast try! according to u what will be the safe number of programs to apply to..80-90-100 or even more( rads programs only)

Hysty said:
thanks alot...one shud atleast try! according to u what will be the safe number of programs to apply to..80-90-100 or even more( rads programs only)

Hysty,

Take any advice you get from f_w with a grain of salt. He's clearly proven that he is not the best source of information. (Or, perhaps you didn't read the rest of this thread?)

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
> thanks alot...one shud atleast try! according to u what will be the
> safe number of programs to apply to..80-90-100 or even more
> ( rads programs only)

Don't know. It is not like you can improve your chances with this shotgun tactic alone, but you don't want to miss out on that middle of the road program that liked something about you. It also depends on how much money you have to burn, but if rads is what you want to do, it is at least worth a try.

f_w said:
> thanks alot...one shud atleast try! according to u what will be the
> safe number of programs to apply to..80-90-100 or even more
> ( rads programs only)

Don't know. It is not like you can improve your chances with this shotgun tactic alone, but you don't want to miss out on that middle of the road program that liked something about you. It also depends on how much money you have to burn, but if rads is what you want to do, it is at least worth a try.

alrite so for a backup shud i go for prelim or categorical IM spot...or is there anything like a prelim radiology ..

Skip Intro said:
No, my proof is based on the Ross graduates I personally know who graduated last year (some of whom landed very competitive residencies),

The plural of anecdote is not data....

Anecdotes are worthless because they may point to idiosyncratic responses...

I know a few, and they are cool, with good residencies is really not the making of a compelling argument.

jackb

jackbnimble said:
The plural of anecdote is not data....

http://www.rossmed.edu/Residency_Appts_/residency_appts_.html

jackbnimble said:
Anecdotes are worthless because they may point to idiosyncratic responses...

I know a few, and they are cool, with good residencies is really not the making of a compelling argument.

Hmmm... besides the match list posted there, yours is starting to sound dangerously close to a counter-claim (i.e., that people who got spots were the result of some "idiosyncrasy" or aberration). Are you suggesting that it is unusual or the result of some sort out-of-the-norm "response" for Ross grads to get spots? Care to back that up?

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of f_w, who seems quite full of rhetoric and argument himself without any real proof to back-up what he says. Maybe now you want to try to pick-up his slack?

-Skip

Skip Intro said:

Hmmm... besides the match list posted there, yours is starting to sound dangerously close to a counter-claim (i.e., that people who got spots were the result of some "idiosyncrasy" or aberration).

---counter claims are only dangerous to those lacking in support for their positions? Ring any bells? It should!

Maybe now you want to try to pick-up his slack?

---well, I would but it seems like you have done so for him. The discussion, late into the thread so might have missed something.....seemed to be about getting a rad residency from the Carib. So your support is to provide an incomplete match list with no radiology matches?

Maybe your position is no one matched in '04, so we are do for some luck. Read about the "gambler's fallacy." It would seem to apply if that is your position.

I appreciate the desire to hedge your bits, that is to say z and evidence a, but it is usually done with more finesse.

cheers,
jackb

jackbnimble said:
Skip Intro said:
Maybe your position is no one matched in '04, so we are do (sic) for some luck. Read about the "gambler's fallacy." It would seem to apply if that is your position.

---should be:

....we are due for some luck.

Dude, what are you babbling about? Seriously. Your post is almost completely incomprehesible. I seriously doubt that I'm alone in that assessment. So, what exactly is your point? (Slow down, think about what you are typing, read it back to yourself, and see if it makes sense before you post it. Otherwise, I just can't directly respond to what looks like nothing more than stream of consciousness.)

Besides your confusing rhetoric, you were the one who snipped a quote from me that was pointing to the bigger argument - not just about Rads (which is clearly an aside) - in which I was addressing the myth that Ross grads (or any other Carib grads from the more-established schools) can't get spots, licenses, whatever regardless of specialty chosen. That's B.S. And, if anyone is going to make that assertion, all I ask is that they back it up with irrefutable evidence.

Regardless, I do happen to know of someone who matched in Rads this year. Not sure if his name will be on Ross' list when it's posted (it's voluntary to have your name posted there), but I know this person, where he matched, and am 100% certain that he got the spot. You may want to call that an anecdote, but I'll be happy to post the link to the program's website after July 1st if that'll allay any doubts anyone here may have.

Furthermore, you need to go back and look at that list more carefully as there are six radiology spots listed. If you're going to argue against something, at least make sure you have your facts straight.

In the meantime, don't try to change the argument just so you can "win" it in your own mind. And, please try to do a better job of communicating whatever point you think you might have.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Besides your confusing rhetoric, you were the one who snipped a quote from me that was pointing to the bigger argument - not just about Rads (which is clearly an aside) -

++Interesting how when your position is rebuked, that becomes an aside. Now you have erected a strawman argument..because Ross grads get IM spots, then they must get rad spo

Last edited:
Okay, now you've proven you are clearly a ***** who has a hard time with the English language. No longer going to frustrate myself by attempting to point the ludicrousness of your posts after this reply.

You want to change the argument, and you still can't get your facts straight (assuming you even are making an argument, which based on your 4th grade reading comprehension and communication ability I'm not sure). Either way, you demonstrate, at a minimum, that you have no clear grasp or even basic understanding of the matching/residency placement process.

The record stands:

1.) Messina, Robert Medicine-Preliminary & Radiology-Diagnostic Upstate Medical University, NY (PGY-1)

(Names withheld by request):

Radiology-Diagnostic

2.) St Francis Hospital - IL
3.) U. of Buffalo Graduate Medical School - NY

4.) Hamilton, John, Internal Medicine (pre-lim.) & Radiology-Diagnostic, U COM-Memphis-TN & 'Cook County Hospital-IL

5.) Jamindar, Tejal, Radiology, Mercy Hospital-University-IL

6.) McKean, George, Internal Medicine (pre-lim.) & Radiology-Diagnostic, U Hospitals-AL

That's six spots in the past two years. This year's results are not yet posted. If you attempt to make any other inferences out of that or otherwise try to move the target and/or change the argument, you're only further proving yourself to be an idiot.

** REGARDLESS **

This discussion on this thread primarily is not and never has been specifically about one specialty or another, except later in the thread when one poster asked a specific question about this specialty. YOU, speciously or not, snipped a quote from me earlier in this discussion and attempted to make an inference out of that, one that simply was not there.

This means one of three things:

(1) You are a ***** with next to zero reading comprehension skills.

(2) You are attempting to prove some point in an argument I'm not even trying to engage in with you or anyone else, because I don't know or care about why people choose one specialty over another, nor is it germane to this discussion - which is primarily about whether or not Carib grads can get licensure.

(3) You are trolling.

If it is (1), then there's no point having any discussion with you because you will not be able to grasp it instead going off on some tangent about logical fallacies which have no bearing on this discussion and/or are incomprehensible. If it is (2), then I really don't care because you are on this thread only attempting to "win" some argument I'm not even trying to have with you - despite the fact that I've clearly posted information which shows you to be flat out wrong in your assumptions, not that they make sense anyway. If it's (3), then... well... you're just a loser.

I suspect, however, that it is some combination of (1) and (2), and therefore engaging you further would be completely pointless. You're just not ever going to "get" it.

-Skip

This discussion on this thread primarily is not and never has been specifically about one specialty or another, except later in the thread when one poster asked a specific question about this specialty.

++Interesting that was not prohibitive in your responding concerning radiology until it was pointed out that YOU were claiming facts not into evidence. Are you seriously suggesting the discussion was about whether or not some Carib grads were somewhat successful in obtaining a license to practice medicine? Wow, you are more defensive than I thought if you are now suggesting that was the discussion.

I merely copied your recitation of Ross' success at placement for July 2004. Odd that you would employ (or in your case, would that be deploy?) evidence contrary to your stated objective. Maybe you don't grasp the meaning of that which you have so generously provided?

To quote some smart guy, who's name escapes me:

---it is impossible to reason man out of something that he never reasoned himself into in the first place...

That, my friend, seems to summarize the full extent of your position.

QED,
jackb

jackbnimble said:
This discussion on this thread primarily is not and never has been specifically about one specialty or another, except later in the thread when one poster asked a specific question about this specialty.

++Interesting that was not prohibitive in your responding concerning radiology until it was pointed out that YOU were claiming facts not into evidence. Are you seriously suggesting the discussion was about whether or not some Carib grads were somewhat successful in obtaining a license to practice medicine? Wow, you are more defensive than I thought if you are now suggesting that was the discussion.

I merely copied your recitation of Ross' success at placement for July 2004. Odd that you would employ (or in your case, would that be deploy?) evidence contrary to your stated objective. Maybe you don't grasp the meaning of that which you have so generously provided?

To quote some smart guy, who's name escapes me:

---it is impossible to reason man out of something that he never reasoned himself into in the first place...

That, my friend, seems to summarize the full extent of your position.

QED,
jackb

I rest my case.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
I rest my case.

-Skip

Yeah, absent evidence, I would too....how's the legal maxim go?

----If you can't argue the law, argue the facts,

----If you can't argue the facts, argue the law,

----If you are unable to argue either, attack the lawyer.

--unable to argue the facts, you were left with assorted ad hominem attacks directed against those that dare disagree with you. Seldom compelling.

Maybe your Ross degree will get you the cherished residency you suggest awaits all Ross grads....then you will get the last laugh. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best of luck,
jackb

Skip Intro said:
(3) You are trolling.

It's quite obvious now. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you were, in fact, a sock-puppet of f_w.

-Skip

P.S. FYI, as per your suggestion, I'm definitely having the last laugh. :laugh:

Don't PM me, troll. I'm not going to read it. If you have anything to say, say it publicly.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Don't PM me, troll. I'm not going to read it. If you have anything to say, say it publicly.

-Skip

Fwiw,
Best of luck in your pursuits,
jackb

Last edited:
jackbnimble said:
Fwiw, not f_w, not a troll. Simply disagree with you and apparently that is enough to set you off on an endless, mindless, and thoughtless tirade. Are you familiar with the terms, cognitive dissonance?

Your antics would be funny were they not sad.

Best of luck in your pursuits,
jackb

ps; guilty as accused for making the heretical statement that HMS is not the Ross Med of new england.

You've made - and continue to make - absolutely zero sense. Perhaps in your own mind, you have a point. For the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. The only thing that is "sad" is that I feel compelled to continue this pointless exchange with you.

You asked for non-anecdotal "evidence". I provided it. Then, you try to further change the argument... I think? :confused: Because, honestly, I can't really follow any of your quasi-coherent babble. Furthermore and as additional evidence of your bizareness, I - along with, I'm sure, anyone else reading this ridiculous exchange - have no earthly idea what your "P.S." above is even referring to. It's like you're having a dialogue in your brain, but are only managing to get an occassional, sporadic, irrelevant, and non-sensical thought actually typed-out in your posts. You're coming across as complete schizotype, dude, and you're definitely not making any sense.

If you actually have a point, perhaps you might want to try again to make it. Short of claiming that I'm working on an "endless, mindless, and thoughtless tirade", which - contrary to what you may believe - appears actually to be your attempted method of communication - not mine, I can't really see any point or purpose to your being on this thread in the first place!

By the way, I don't need "luck" in my pursuits. I have already secured a top-notch residency in Anesthesiology this year, and that was due to hard work and making the most of opportunities - not luck. And, that's not anecdotal either, it's a fact. I recognize that many of you can't accept that, but that's not really my problem.

-Skippy

make things as simple as they are, but no simpler.....

Skip Intro said:

Last edited:
OHMYGOSH... this is just rambling, utter nonsense that you've posted. Anyone else? Is it just me? Or, is this cat making absolutely no sense. :laugh: You have terrible writing skills, dude. If you are that confusing trying to get your thoughts across in writing, I can only imagine what you must be like in person. Sorry. This is just a jumbled, chaotic mess.

jackbnimble said:
you provided a link with the July, 04 PGYI areas listed without the need for me to open. I copied that, deleted the different hospitals and left the specialty headings. NONE, nada, zilch, read, "radiology."

Again, what the hell are you talking about? You're very, very confused and your methodology sucks. The answers were always there. Don't sling arrows because you couldn't find them.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
OHMYGOSH... The answers were always there. Don't sling arrows because you couldn't find them.

-Skip

My point, the answers are right here...as you provide,,,,

Residency Appointments – July 1, 2004
(Hospitals list and Alphabetical list)

Hospitals offering Ross University graduates July appointments.

Anesthesiology

Albany Medical Center Hospital, NY
Boston U Medical Center, MA
Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center, NY

Emergency Medicine

Maimonides Medical Center, NY
Sinai-Grace Hospital, MI
St Vincent Mercy Medical SVC-OH
U Maryland Medical Center
York Hospital-PA

Family Practice

Albany Medical Ctr Hospital-NY
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center-CA
Atlanta Medical Center, GA
Central Maine Medical Center Lewiston, ME
Drexel University MCP Program Warminster-PA
Family Medical SW Washington
Grant Medical Center-OH
JFK Medical Center-NJ
John Peter Smith Hospital Fort Worth, TX
Kaiser Permanente-Fontana-CA
Kern Medical Center, CA
Loma Linda University-CA
Mayo Graduate SOM-MN
Medical Center of Columbus-GA
Medical College of Wisconsin St. Michael’s Milwaukee, WI
Mercy Health System-WI
Mercy/Mayo Family Practice-IA
Metro Health Medical Center-OH
Mew/ St. Michael Hospital Milwaukee, WI
Mountainside Hospital-NJ
Northeast Regional Medical Center, Anniston, AL
NY Medical College Brooklyn/Queens SVCMC
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital-GA
Riverside County Regional Medical-CA
Somerset Medical Ctr-NJ
St Francis Hospital-DE
St Luke’s Medical Center Milwaukee, WI
Stamford Hospital/Columbia-CT
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Synergy Medical Education Alliance
Tallahassee Memorial Health Tallahassee, FL
Trover Foundation-KY
TX A & M-Scott & White
U Illinois COM-Chicago
U Tennessee COM-Chatta
U Tennessee COM-Memphis
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical-Newark
University of Cincinnati, OH
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Missouri, MO
University of Oklahoma School of Medicine Tulsa, OK
University of South Alabama Mobile, AL
UPMC St Margaret-PA
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, MI

Internal Medicine

Albany Medical Center Hospital, NY
Beth Israel Medical Center, NY
Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
California Pacific San Francisco, CA
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH
Drexel University MCP Hahneman Program Philadelphia, PA
Flushing Hospital Medical Center, NY
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, AZ
Henry Ford HSC, MI
Internal Medical Spokane, WA
Jewish Hospital, OH
Kaiser Perm-Santa Clara, CA
Kansas University Kansas City, KS
Kern Medical Center, CA
Lahey Clinic Burlington, MA
Louisiana State University Shreveport, LA
Lutheran General Hospital Park Ridge, IL
Maricopa Medical Center, AZ
Medical College Georgia-Augusta
Medical College Wisconsin Affiliate Hospital
Medical College Medical Center, OH
Michigan St University Kalamazoo
More House School of Medical, GA
Morristown Memorial Hospital, NJ
Mt Sinai SOM/Cabrini, NY
Nassau U Medical Center Long Island, NY
Newark Beth Israel, NJ
North General Hospital, NY
NY Hosp/Medical Center Queens
NY Hospital Medical Center Queens
Ochsner Clinic Foundation New Orleans, LA
Orlando Regional Healthcare-FL
Overlook Hospital-NJ
Prince George’s Hospital-MD
St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center-NY
SUNY Upstate Medical University Syracuse, NY
TX A & M-Scott & White
U Florida HSC-Jacksonville
U IL-St Francis Medical Center
U Kentucky Medical Center
U Louisville SOM, KY
U Nevada Affil Hospital-Vegas
U of Connecticut Farmington, CT
U Oklahoma COM-OK City
U Oklahoma COM-Tulsa
U South Florida COM-Tampa
U Tennessee COM-Memphis, OK
U Utah Affil Hospitals
WV University Hospital-Morgantown

Neurology

SUNY at Stony Brook, NY

Obstetrics-Gynecology

Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
Charleston Area Medical Ctr./West Virginia University
Eastern VA Medical School, VA
Grand Rapids Medical Education, MI
Nassau University Medical Center, NY
North Shore University Hospital Manhasset, NY
Oakwood Hospital, MI
St Barnabas Medical Ctr, NJ
SUNY HSC Brooklyn, NY
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Temple University Hospital-PA
U Illinois COM-Chicago

Pediatrics

Atlantic Health System, NJ
Kansas University Kansas City, KS
Mercy Children's Hospital/Medical College Toledo, OH
Metro Health Medical Center, OH
Southern Illinois University, IL
U Florida Programs-Shands Hospital
U Nevada Affil Hosp-Vegas
U TX Medical Branch-Galveston
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical-Newark
Westchester Medical Center, NY

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Kings Brook Jewish Medical, NY
SUNY Upstate Medical University, NY
U Health Sys E Carolina Greenville, NC

Psychiatry

Charleston Area Medical Ctr./West Virginia University
Finch/ Chicago Medical School Chicago, IL
Kern Medical Center Bakersfield, CA
Metropolitan Hosp Center, NY
Nassau University Medical Center, NY
Temple University Hospital, PA

Surgery

Hospital of St Raphael, CT
Maimonides Medical Center, NY
Mayo Graduate SOM, MN
Montefiore -Albert Einstein Bronx, NY
Mt Sinai Medical Center Miami, FL
North Shore-LIJ Health System, NY
Pinnacle Health Hospital, PA
St John Hospital, MI

Transitional

Providence Hospital Southfield, MI
St Joseph-Oakland, MI
St Vincent Mercy Medical Center, OH
Wilson Memorial Regional Hospital United Health Service Johnson City, NY
WSU/Detroit Medical Center, MI

...and Radiology is not listed as a heading or hidden in some obscure way.

I think it would likely be between Psychiatry and Surgery and nothing seems to be there. Maybe there is a decoder ring that only Ross students have access to.

Sorry, bud, but dealing with you is like shooting fish in a barrel, --too easy.

cheers,
jackb

Sorry, your bluff was called and you lost.

jackbnimble said:
Sorry, your bluff was called and you lost.

:laugh:

See, you really are confused, and you just proved it. Those are the programs where the individual graduates, as I have explained already, did not want their names listed.

Scroll down below the "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z" where the individually named graduates are. You're only looking at a partial list. Then, scroll down even further and look at the 2003 list. Better yet, type Ctrl+F to do a search then type in "Radiology" so you can go directly to each key word.

Not very thorough, are you? Ready to apologize to me now, sweetheart?

:)

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
:laugh:
-----
-Skip

No doubt, you are correct. One radiology placement in 2004 out of what--300 grads. I am sorry, I should have said 0.333333333%. Sorry for being remiss in my search. I was only 99.66666667% correct.

can't get nuthin' passed you, huh?

Sometimes truth is even stranger than fiction, no?

jackb

jackbnimble said:
No doubt, you are correct.

Thank you. You were wrong. That's all you needed to say. And, we could've skipped the past 12 completely pointless and idiotic posts, had you read this post more carefully. Guess we needed to underscore your 4th-grade reading ability and lack of attention to detail, didn't we?

And, as for the rest of your smelly and unwanted opinion, further evidence that you didn't very carefully read (or comprehend) that same post where I also addressed this very subject you felt the need to, in a very dubious and lowly manner, try to cobble into some sort of attack or indictment against Ross and it's students.

Either way, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. But, more importantly, it takes an incredibly puny one to do it like a dickhead. Guess which one you are?

-Skip

Skip Intro 2004 1.) Messina said:
---right. Rad residencies abound--from Ross, just ask bob, or better yet ask Skip.

jackb

You still wrong, and you've been wrong all along. But, when this is pointed out, you just like to try to change the argument, don't you? Typical.

And, even though you clearly read what I said, as evidenced by the fact that you quoted me, you still - then and even in your last post -demonstrate your inability to comprehend basic English.

You're such a tool, dude. But, go ahead. Continue to respond and make yourself look more and more like a jackass. Don't let me stop you. :laugh:

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
You still wrong, and you've been wrong all along. But, when this is pointed out, you just like to try to change the argument, don't you? Typical.

You're such a tool, dude. But, go ahead. Continue to respond and make yourself look more and more like a jackass. Don't let me stop you. :laugh:

-Skip

If you say so Skip. Even if your syntax is wrong.

My only point was to question, albeit to disagree with, your suggestion that Carib grads are as competitive as US grads for Radiology PGYI positions. Additionally, your invocation of anecdotes in support of your position was anything but productive.

For you to claim I impugned Ross, Ross students, or IMGs is just your imagination and defensiveness showing. Instead, I disagree with you and find your methods of discourse distasteful and counterproductive. No crime there.

Best wishes,

jackb

jackbnimble said:
My only point was to question, albeit to disagree with, your suggestion that Carib grads are as competitive as US grads for Radiology PGYI positions.

Point out one place, Mr. Zero-Reading-Comprehension-Ability, where I suggested that. You infer a lot, dude, no doubt due to your poor language skills. What's worse, you arguments are rife with the same logical fallacies and dubious debate tactics you accuse others of using.

You came here with your pseudo-logical rhetoric looking for a fight, and you got your ass kicked. Deal with it.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Point out one place, Mr. Zero-Reading-Comprehension-Ability, where I suggested that. You infer a lot, dude, no doubt due to your poor language skills. What's worse, you arguments are rife with the same logical fallacies and dubious debate tactics you accuse others of using.

You came here with your pseudo-logical rhetoric looking for a fight, and you got your ass kicked. Deal with it.

-Skip

Actually you were caught, dead to rights, propounding groundless arguments.

Last edited:
Jack,

I don't have the time to go through 40 posts of idle arguments, but I am still curious. What was this whole melee about ?
Was she trying to convince the world again that Ross grads can walk into every radonc slot of their choice ?

Ok...this is ridiculous. The continuing diatribe here serves little purpose and doesn't address the OP's question.

Please address each other in a civil fashion and behave in the professional manner I know everyone can.

doctorP said:
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum but I like this place very much.

I just want to tell all you guys, who weren't lucky this year, don't give up...

Kimberly, I have already posted the same thread in other forum..., but I would like to address my fellow IMGs, who are in bad mood right now.

Listen up,
it's not the end of the world. I know how hard it is. Believe me I was at the same situation several times. I had problems passing my USMLE, so I had to do it...many times (I lost my count). Finally I was certified with scores around 80....I was proud of myself, but at the same time I knew doors are shout for me. Anyway I tried everything, and....after several attempts I matched this year! I am so greatful to the person, who didn't look only at scores, attempts, but also at me as a human being who made mistakes and had to pay for them. And this person gave me a chance to become a doctor here, to fulfill my dream, to be happy.

So I wish you all the best in finding this particular person and be strong and persistant in your search. Don't you ever give up!!!!!

Good luck.
please does anyone know if u can do rotations in the US with a visitors visa?

f_w said:
My knowledge is based on the experience of:
- beeing an FMG in a US residency at this time (almost no carib IMG's in my field)
- having married into a family of overseas FMG's practicing in various states.
- having done a non-competitive primary care residency with plenty of carib IMG's in the past (who where btw quite cool. they freely admitted that this caribbean thing was a means to an end, and nothing more. And yes, one Ross grad couldn't go for his fellowship in TX, and a SGU grad lost a lot of money after beeing denied a license in Iowa).

Sorry to crash the party? This is a silly thread but I'm bored and can't resist. What is your point?

Just what brand of FMG are you? Is there some sort of "FMG elite" we should know about?

Of course, FMG is "a means to an end and nothing more" -- ECFMG eligibility. That's not unique to the Caribbean. (Please don't tell us you got into US schools and went to some exotic country to differentiate yourself -- that is the oldest copout.) You are either an FMG or you aren't. That's the primary distinction.

This thread died a long time ago, just for some lurker to stumble upon it an to revive it with his question.

You seem to mistunderstand something here. I am not a US citizen who went overseas for medical school, I am a foreigner who came to the states after medical school.

f_w said:
I am not a US citizen who went overseas for medical school, I am a foreigner who came to the states after medical school.

BFD

You are either American educated or foreign educated (and came through ECFMG). Again, that's the primary distinction. I doubt any one cares about your motivations.

So, not being a US citizen makes you elite? If anything, that's a disadvantage.

Well, it makes one difference. I managed to get through the competitive process in my home country to make it into medschool. I didn't buy my education by going overseas after I didn't make it into school in the US ;-))

(Aren't you the one criticizing the aussie medschool system for selling graduate entry slots to US hopefuls ?)

f_w said:
Well, it makes one difference. I managed to get through the competitive process in my home country to make it into medschool.

Makes no difference how you got there, you're an FMG, just like the rest of them. And you have the added disadvantage of working in a country where you do not have citizenship. :p

the added disadvantage of working in a country where you do not have citizenship.

You mean the added 'disadvantage' of not paying FICA for the first two years and not having to pay taxes on certain overseas investments :laugh:

(If I ever had to choose between an aussie who got into an aussie medschool the regular way and an american exilee, guess who I would choose ?)

I think a lot of the emotion invested in this issue stems from the failure to distinguish between two different contentions regarding American citizens who go abroad for medical schools (FMGs) and foreign citizens who complete medical training in their homecountry and decide to go to the US for residency (IMGs):

1) FMGs receive superior training vs IMGs receive superior training.

2) FMGs are more attractive to PDs vs IMGs are more attractive to PDs.

Personally, I must say either debate is pretty stupid, but 1) even more so than 2).