To all MSIs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question to all you MSIs that have started school.

What is your curriculum like? I don't know about you guys, but at WesternU, its SEVERELY impacted. We are spending 8hrs in lecture each day, where less than half are useful. It seems like gross is moving waaaay to fast and that we are going to run out of systems to study. I mean we have gross lecture EACH and everyday, sometimes twice a day. We have 3 three-hour labs a week.

Im just wondering if you guys (or MDs for that matter) are covering this much gross this quickly.

mig

Members don't see this ad.

Miglo-
I'm a first year at PCOM and our gross schedule seems similar to yours. We have 1-2 hours of lecture in gross per day, and then generally 3 hours of lab time. This varies occasionally when lab time may decrease to 2 hours for a day or as much as 4 hours a day. Lectures can also be as little as 1 hour a day with the occasional off day. I'm looking forward to Monday because it is an odd day in that we have no gross lecture or lab. I think that is the only time all semester that happens. Anyway, in addition to gross, we also have histology, embryology, radiology, primary care skills, medicine and society, human sexuality, and osteopathic principles and practice. Of course some of these classes only meet once a week, but the schedule is definitely packed. On days when I don't have a lab in the afternoon, I find myself trying to catch up on other subjects in addition to what we are covering in gross. It has been kind of crazy so far, and its only the 4th day of classes. Oh well, only a little over two weeks until the first gross exam. Better get back to cracking the books! Good luck at Western.

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

Hi,
I am a third year right now, but my first year we had the same Anatomy schedule at WVSOM. And massive amounts of stuff to learn. I felt I was just cramming for each practical, not really learning. Plus I agree with you about feeling that some material is totally worthless. That was the most frustrating part of med school for me. I was so glad to finally be there, yet found that there were many topics that I could not relate to the study of medicine. It was very hard to study for something when you are thinking WHY I AM I STUDYING THIS????

But it gets better. Hang in there and good luck.

Billie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm starting at MSUCOM. Just to keep the comparisons going, our Gross schedule is 1 hr/day four days a week, plus 1 hour of lab every day of the week (and it's open on the weekend for us to use). Seems a formidable task, especially when one takes into account our four-inch-thick coursepack, supplemented by a one inch thick lab coursepack, plus Netter, Rohen and Moore.

Still, it's been done by others before us, and I'm sure it will be done by us...somehow.

Good luck everybody!

------------------
Scott
MSUCOM Class of 2004

From what I've heard from my friends, it appears that my curriculum (DOs in general) have to learn at a faster pace (account for OP&P?) as compared to the MDs. Heres a more detailed listing of our curriculum:

Tomorrow will be the end of third week and we have covered : VertColumn, Sup. Back, Deep Back, SubOcc. Rgn, SpinalCord&Meninges, Post Shoulder, Sup Upr Limb, SupChest, Post Triangle, Cerv Plexus, AxillaryA, Radiology, BrachialPlexus, Arm&CubitalFossa, ForearmExtensors, and today will be ForarmFlexors. These include all nerves, arterial supplies, blah blah blah.

Oh yeah we also have histology, biochem, microbio, op&p, embryo. I'm not too worried about the other classes, but I'm finding myself seriously neglecting them to study gross! Anyone have similar problems? We're going to have our first exam (embryo final) this monday and starting pharm. Its absolutely nuts! We're going to have a midterm/final exam the beginning of EACH and EVERY week till winter break. This basically ruins EVERY vacation up until then. I'm glad I got into medschool, but it certainly much more crazy than I though.

Do you guys also find it extremely strange and stupid that gross ALWAYS ends up be topic of choice during meals??!
smile.gif

mig

I agree with everyone, this is nucking futts!!! The biggest problem I am having is that I keep falling asleep, I am finding it hard to function day to day with only 5-6 hours of sleep. My *ucking body aches, because lack of sleep + stress + weight lifting. and I have lost 11 pounds since classes started on Aug. 7. The material is not that difficult it is the fact that I get so pissed at myself for getting tired. Now I see why med students get addicted to drugs! Aren't medical schools supposed to promote health? I have asked myself this continuously. I am going to bed!

oh man do i miss sleep!! i finding it helpful to nap in gross lecture.
smile.gif

Well, at TCOM we are on the systems-based curriculum. Now we are taking A LOT of cell sceince (biochem, cell bio, embryology, immunology combined), preventive medicine, intro to clinical med, and manip. We don't even begin anatomy until October which is when we start with the muscoskeletal system. Then we'll study the anatomy, physiology, and every other part of each portion of one system at a time. I was envious of other schools that already began anatomy, but after reading all of these other messages, I guess I can be a bit more patient. It sounds like there's a hec of a lot all at once.