To All MSIV DO's going into MD residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miami

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend recently matched into a very competitive MD categorical surgical residency. He was the first DO in the program ever. When he received his contract he was surprised to see "MD" after his name. He also found out that some of the other DO's at the hospital (at other programs) were given lab coats and ID badges that said "MD" instead of "DO". My friend was outraged and demanded to have "DO" on his contract, coat and ID badge. The hospital said it had no problem and will make the necessary adjustments. Let this be an example to all DO's going into MD programs to never forget where you come from. While most of us would have gone to US MD schools if given the opportunity, we are DO's and not MD's (although there is nothing wrong with MD's). You should be proud that you had the opportunity to become a physician and don't trivialize yourself and the profession by hiding under a false identify. We are pioneers, paving a new road for our fellow underclassmen. DO's have come a long way, and DO's in MD programs help achieve new levels of respect and advance the profession. Be proud of who you are. Good luck to all the 4th years.

Miami

Members don't see this ad.

Nicely stated! :clap:

Careofme

Well said, miami! one must never forget where they came from that's is absolutely true. i have a question for you, where and what are you doing your residency in? do you know of any place else where your classmates are going? where did you do your rotations at? i'm a m1 @nova and am really curious about the 3 and 4 years. any light you can shed will be appreciated.

I am the first DO in my program as well. I received three lab coats for my first year of residency and all of them had 'MD' following my name. I promptly called their attention to the messed up name plate and they graciously issued 3 more with 'DO' following my name. Simple, honest mistake. I routinely get letters, emails, certificates with 'MD' on them. It is a simple fix and takes just a gentle reminder. I am a DO and make no bones about it-- pun intended.