To all pharmacy students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaquita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking my prerequisites for pharmacy school. There is one course that I'm dreading. Speech!!!!!! Is there presentations that have to be given in certain courses in pharmacy school? Can anyone tell me what to expect when I'm in pharmacy school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yes! You'll be expected to give group and individual presentations in your didactic learning (we had about 3 or 4 to give, plus posterboard presentation, journal clubs) and in almost every rotation of your clinical year (at least in my school). Get used to learning to speak in an extemporaneous manner...that's the toughest part, getting used to speaking to an audience rather than reading from busy slides and manuscripts. Learn to rehearse your speeches and time them so you don't speak too fast. I used to be nervous speaking in front of audiences...now it's (almost) nothing to me, if I've prepared myself thoroughly and know the topic forwards and backwards. Speech class will be good practice for you, but you'll have the advantage of using power point slides when you do presentations in school.

Yep, there's lots of speaking in front of others. It's a prerequisite for a good reason. We had about 8 presentations our first year. During year two, we only have 2 power points to do and 2 poster sessions. Besides presentations and posters, our "counseling" sessions are preformed in front of classmates and are video taped so we can see how to improve.

So far, I haven't gotten nervous because they are my classmates. Once you're on rotations you're doing it for real. That will be a little more scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too used to be scared of public speaking, but I got over it quick with the amount of presentations I had to give during pharm school. I actually didnt do too much of it during my didactic years but I did a TON during my clinicals. Expect to give at least two major presentations during each rotation, to other pharmacists, and also doctors and nurses. Don't worry, you will be less and less nervous with each one you do.

indoflip said:
I too used to be scared of public speaking, but I got over it quick with the amount of presentations I had to give during pharm school. I actually didnt do too much of it during my didactic years but I did a TON during my clinicals. Expect to give at least major presentations during each rotation, to other pharmacists, and also doctors and nurses. Don't worry, you will be less and less nervous with each one you do.

You are about to graduate, what advice would you give a pre pharmacy student?

LVPharm said:
Oh yes! You'll be expected to give group and individual presentations in your didactic learning (we had about 3 or 4 to give, plus posterboard presentation, journal clubs) and in almost every rotation of your clinical year (at least in my school). Get used to learning to speak in an extemporaneous manner...that's the toughest part, getting used to speaking to an audience rather than reading from busy slides and manuscripts. Learn to rehearse your speeches and time them so you don't speak too fast. I used to be nervous speaking in front of audiences...now it's (almost) nothing to me, if I've prepared myself thoroughly and know the topic forwards and backwards. Speech class will be good practice for you, but you'll have the advantage of using power point slides when you do presentations in school.
I am totally terrified about presentations and for a while was contemplating the idea of not going into pharmacy just because of these "presentations". But I'm telling myself everyday that I am going to be able to do this! It's still an area of my life that I need to work on!

flaquita said:
I am totally terrified about presentations and for a while was contemplating the idea of not going into pharmacy just because of these "presentations". But I'm telling myself everyday that I am going to be able to do this! It's still an area of my life that I need to work on!

But in many of the health sciences, you may have to do some presenting as well. Education of patients and other members of the healthcare community are among the many responsibilities of a (hospital/clinical) pharmacist. If you work in a hospital, you may need to present inservices to staff, for instance. I was just like you at one time...terrified of speaking in front of audiences. But as indoflip said, the more of these you do, the easier it gets. I'm about to graduate as well and plan to do a residency. I will have to do many more presentations over the course of my residency year, so I'll still be in the same boat as you! ;)

flaquita said:
You are about to graduate, what advice would you give a pre pharmacy student?

I think I would be the last person to ask. I think the newly admitted and first year students on here would have a better idea. Pharm school admissions werent as competitive 4 years ago as they are now!

But I will say that even if there are weaknesses in your application (ie: low GPA), try to improve on the areas that you can (college degree, PCAT, pharm experience, good letters, etc.)

And don't focus too much on your fear of presenting. It really WILL get better. I know it doesn't seem like it now. I'm telling you, I used to be super shy and shake when public speaking, but now I totally love it. I actually like giving inservices and would volunteer giving presentations when noone else wanted to. Alot of it has to do with your mastery of the subject matter. When you know your stuff, you'll be more confident talking about it and answering questions.

And there is nothing wrong if you dont know the answer to a question. Just say, "That's a great question. I don't know the answer right now but I will look it up and get back to you." Nothing wrong with that :)

indoflip said:
I think I would be the last person to ask. I think the newly admitted and first year students on here would have a better idea. Pharm school admissions werent as competitive 4 years ago as they are now!

But I will say that even if there are weaknesses in your application (ie: low GPA), try to improve on the areas that you can (college degree, PCAT, pharm experience, good letters, etc.)

And don't focus too much on your fear of presenting. It really WILL get better. I know it doesn't seem like it now. I'm telling you, I used to be super shy and shake when public speaking, but now I totally love it. I actually like giving inservices and would volunteer giving presentations when noone else wanted to. Alot of it has to do with your mastery of the subject matter. When you know your stuff, you'll be more confident talking about it and answering questions.

And there is nothing wrong if you dont know the answer to a question. Just say, "That's a great question. I don't know the answer right now but I will look it up and get back to you." Nothing wrong with that :)

Thanks for your advice. I also wanted to ask you were there times you wanted to give up? I feel this way, but after a couple of hours I'm back (focused) on what I need to do in order to make it.

One more thing, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

LVPharm said:
But in many of the health sciences, you may have to do some presenting as well. Education of patients and other members of the healthcare community are among the many responsibilities of a (hospital/clinical) pharmacist. If you work in a hospital, you may need to present inservices to staff, for instance. I was just like you at one time...terrified of speaking in front of audiences. But as indoflip said, the more of these you do, the easier it gets. I'm about to graduate as well and plan to do a residency. I will have to do many more presentations over the course of my residency year, so I'll still be in the same boat as you! ;)[/QUOTE

I know that I have to speak in front of others and just by thinking about it makes me shiver. Hopefully I'll get use to it. Thanks for you advice I really appreciate it.

For some reason I used to dread public speaking. That essentially changed in one day when I sat down and tried to figure out what it was that was so bad about it...and there is nothing bad. I have seen some people get up to speak who are nervous or stutter, and I have even seen some people cry, but I never had anything but respect for them. Most people respect the fact that they are just taking the initiative to get up and speak. In any case, I realized that I could care less what anyone else thinks about my speaking and as a result I somewhat enjoy it now as well.

Tuck said:
For some reason I used to dread public speaking. That essentially changed in one day when I sat down and tried to figure out what it was that was so bad about it...and there is nothing bad. I have seen some people get up to speak who are nervous or stutter, and I have even seen some people cry, but I never had anything but respect for them. Most people respect the fact that they are just taking the initiative to get up and speak. In any case, I realized that I could care less what anyone else thinks about my speaking and as a result I somewhat enjoy it now as well.

I hope someday I can say "I enjoy public speaking" I don't want to go toward a different path just because of this fear. I want to confront it, but when I begin to visualize myself speaking in public I begin to get anxious. Just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually enjoy public speaking, which is surprising to many people, because I tend to be shy. Maybe its because a "scripted" format is easier for me to handle.

You will be handling all sorts of strange questions from the public, so its best that you learn now.

flaquita said:
I hope someday I can say "I enjoy public speaking" I don't want to go toward a different path just because of this fear. I want to confront it, but when I begin to visualize myself speaking in public I begin to get anxious. Just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't change to a different career path just because of your fear of speaking in front of an audience. You will overcome it like many things in life, trust me on this. It just takes practice or even doing just one presentation will do it. Just think of it as when you're up there speaking, it's your time to shine and no matter what, the audience has to listen to you :D Also, pharmacy school is more than just giving presentations, we do a lot of other interactive stuff in groups, go to lectures, etc etc. Hope this helps :luck:

I haaaaate public speaking... I'm totally weird about it, too.

In 11th grade, I passed out during an Academic Decathlon speech...infront of a crowd of *3*. Like, nearly hit the floor, had to be dragged out of the room and into the hall to recover for quite some time passed out. Not fun.

Just last month, my Business Stat teacher (who likes to torture me) made me explain a problem on the exam to the class. I had to get up infront of the class and write the problem out while he was explaining the answers to the rest of the exam (that took a good 15 minutes), then another 5 minutes to explain. He also makes me do role call stuff and help hand out exams (both standing infront of a class of 200.) That doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is being singled out constantly... but I guess that's what I get for being 'the smart kid'. I've also sang solo a few times... just a short line (infront of a crowd of about 1000) and an entire song by myself (that was a crowd of about 400.) Not a problem. Both of those were back when I was 13.

I don't know if the Business Stat stuff doesn't bother me because I'm getting better, or if I just handle large crowds better than small crowds. Still, the idea of speaking in public, especially a prepared speech (maybe that's what it is?) gives me chills. I hope I'm able to overcome whatever it is just like everyone else has!

WVURxGal said:
I haaaaate public speaking... I'm totally weird about it, too.

In 11th grade, I passed out during an Academic Decathlon speech...infront of a crowd of *3*. Like, nearly hit the floor, had to be dragged out of the room and into the hall to recover for quite some time passed out. Not fun.

Just last month, my Business Stat teacher (who likes to torture me) made me explain a problem on the exam to the class. I had to get up infront of the class and write the problem out while he was explaining the answers to the rest of the exam (that took a good 15 minutes), then another 5 minutes to explain. He also makes me do role call stuff and help hand out exams (both standing infront of a class of 200.) That doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is being singled out constantly... but I guess that's what I get for being 'the smart kid'. I've also sang solo a few times... just a short line (infront of a crowd of about 1000) and an entire song by myself (that was a crowd of about 400.) Not a problem. Both of those were back when I was 13.

I don't know if the Business Stat stuff doesn't bother me because I'm getting better, or if I just handle large crowds better than small crowds. Still, the idea of speaking in public, especially a prepared speech (maybe that's what it is?) gives me chills. I hope I'm able to overcome whatever it is just like everyone else has!

I thank all of you for your support and advice!!!!! I'm trying to have a positive mind set toward the fact that public speaking is mandatory in pharmacy. But, there are times where I just want to give up.

Don't worry too much about public speaking. You will have a lot of chances in pharmacy school to speak up, I Believe. It's the major characteristic of pharmacy profession. Once you practice speaking a lot in front of people, you will be more familiar with it and reduce your stress. I just had a presentation in fron of my class last week (only 10 mins Power Point presentation). Imagine that you have to speak up in front of 120 people and your professor in 10 min.

One of my barriers is that English is not my first language. But still I tried to overcome it. And u know what, I feel proud of myself everytime I get up there to speak up. And everytime I finish my presentation, I feel more and more confident.

So...enjoy!:)

I'm going to have to stick with the "Don't like Public Speaking" camp. I am, however, a photography instructor part time and it makes me a nervous wreck when I get up in front of my class. I've been doing it for two years and it really hasn't gotten that much easier for me. I can speak to my classmates or fellow workers with no problems. I also know that I would have no problem at all speaking one on one with a customer in a pharmacy.

What sized groups are these required speeches for in pharm school? Is it in front of your classmates and instructors only?

Chris

For those of you who are scared of public speaking, I HIGHLY recommend taking some improv classes. They are excellent for building confidence in a safe - and fun - environment. Look for a group like ComedySportz (www.comedysportz.com) or Theater Sports that offers several beginner classes throughout the year. Plus, it gives you a great "in" for something to talk about in your interviews (more than one school was really interested in the fact that I do improv comedy).